Why K:D, Deaths, streaks and other stats are bad, and how PS2 can evolve the genre - Page 28 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Your official babysitter.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-23, 02:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #406
Envenom
Sergeant Major

Re: Why K:D, Deaths, streaks and other stats are bad, and how PS2 can evolve the genr

Guess what? It's in whether you like it or not. QQ
Old 2012-07-23, 02:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #407
Zulthus
Colonel

Re: Why K:D, Deaths, streaks and other stats are bad, and how PS2 can evolve the genr

You make a very compelling argument, and I can tell you have put a lot of thought and effort into your post.
Old 2012-07-23, 02:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #408
Envenom
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
You make a very compelling argument, and I can tell you have put a lot of thought and effort into your post.
You'd be incorrect in that assumption.
Old 2012-07-23, 02:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #409
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
You make a very compelling argument, and I can tell you have put a lot of thought and effort into your reply.
Maybe not, but he's not wrong with his assessment. It'll be there, though you may have some ability to hide it. People who care will shun you if your K/D is bad or if you choose not to reveal it.

/shrug

No, I shall stand! Sitting is for the weak and feeble.

Last edited by GreatMazinkaise; 2012-07-23 at 02:25 AM.
Old 2012-07-23, 02:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #410
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Totally agree - I've been playing PS again the past month or so and I find I am constantly checking my K/D.

Death tally should not be in game.
Old 2012-07-23, 02:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #411
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Envenom View Post
You'd be incorrect in that assumption.
Is that so? Then I do apologize and withdraw my statement, good sir.
Old 2012-07-23, 02:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #412
Envenom
Sergeant Major

In all seriousness though, with the amount of robustness in the data services they claim they will be offering, there is little to no chance of this not being in. It's essentially Battlelog for PS. Is it right or wrong? I personally like it. Regardless, it will be in.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-07-23, 02:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #413
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

And yet you seem worried. It's something easy enough to remove, and is there anyone who won't play the game because it doesn't have a death stat being visible? That would be quite ridiculous.

Negative stats shouldn't be tracked. It affects the game, like it or not, and the behavior it encourages is not good for the game. Just because we're in an era where we feel everything needs to have numbers doesn't mean those numbers need to be prominently displayed or elevated to inappropriate importance. I think the developers are smart enough to realize that and are capable of making decisions. Things that are "in" now aren't necessarily going to stay that way. That's what beta and feedback are all about.
Old 2012-07-23, 03:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #414
kaibutzu
Private

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
And yet you seem worried. It's something easy enough to remove, and is there anyone who won't play the game because it doesn't have a death stat being visible? That would be quite ridiculous.

Negative stats shouldn't be tracked. It affects the game, like it or not, and the behavior it encourages is not good for the game. Just because we're in an era where we feel everything needs to have numbers doesn't mean those numbers need to be prominently displayed or elevated to inappropriate importance. I think the developers are smart enough to realize that and are capable of making decisions. Things that are "in" now aren't necessarily going to stay that way. That's what beta and feedback are all about.
stfu

u probably suck at fps obv dont wanna show your 0.79 k/d
Old 2012-07-23, 03:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #415
maddoggg
Sergeant

Very well said OP!
I myself have been playing a lot of online FPS games for about 10 years now and i know what you are talking about.
K/D does not belong in any objective based game like planetside or battlefield!

To be honest i fully realised how much better a game becomes,when there is no K/D tracking,with section 8 prejudice.
The stat portal there tracked score,tracked kills,but it didnt track deaths.
The result?
Out of 32 players in a server you would see no more than 2-3 kill wh*res and the rest trying to PTFO.
And in bf3 out of 32 players you would see no more than 2-3 people PTFOing and everybody else is kill wh*ring.
The difference really IS THAT BIG!

I know many people,like me,dont care much about stats and some of them dont see what's the problem with K/D.
But just because the stats may not be important to you and me doesnt mean that it's so for the majority of gamers.
I have been in several clans in multiple games,and in my bf3 clan for example there were a lot of kids(and sadly not just the kids...) who were obsessed about stats(K/D in particular).Sadly the new generation of FPS players(which is the majority)plays ONLY for the purpose of K/D.
That doesnt mean however they would not play ps2 just because there is no K/D.
Like OP said i doubt the lack of K/D would turn people away(and we'll be better of without the people who would not play just because there is no K/D) can go.

The problem is that once they start playing the game,they will quickly become stat obsessed and will be seeing 400 infiltrators per team doing l33t sniping....
Old 2012-07-23, 03:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #416
ZaBa
Corporal

It's great how you seem to assume that the presence of stats you don't like automatically indicates that sensible things like the number of people you've transported in your Gal, heals, revives, repairs etc won't also be recorded. (hint: they are)

Regarding your concern about "negative" stats: deaths is a useful statistic to have, because it directly represents how much time you're spending not fighting (and conversely, how time you are spending fighting). If someone chooses to focus on dying less and killing more (a worthwhile goal for an HA player) in order to maximise their time on the front and thus their usefulness to the team (also points ), it's good for them to be able to see how they're doing with that.

But all of this is pointless because K:d is a curiosity; the main counter at the top of their stats tracker as of E3 is points/hour.

Last edited by ZaBa; 2012-07-23 at 03:26 AM.
Old 2012-07-23, 03:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #417
deltase
Corporal

As i've always said, K/D is a stat that is nothing. For me it doesn't show, if you are good or bad. So The score thingy is way better cause it shows how much you took part in a battle or something like that.
Old 2012-07-23, 03:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #418
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Well, focussing on K/D and not on "the win" is bad because I'm working hard for the empire, using up my personal resources so that lame ass snipers can profit off the sweat of my labour without contributing to my expenses.
Old 2012-07-23, 03:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #419
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by kaibutzu View Post
stfu

u probably suck at fps obv dont wanna show your 0.79 k/d
Obligatory .gif

Watch out Malorn, this guy is dangerous.

Just so this post is considered a contribution to the thread, K/D should not be tracked as it is not an accurate measure of player skill and contribution. That guy sitting over there with a 50/1 K/D is most likely just camping that doorway with a sniper rifle. SPM is a much better way to track how useful you are.

Last edited by Zulthus; 2012-07-23 at 03:50 AM.
Old 2012-07-23, 03:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #420
EisenKreutzer
Sergeant Major

My K : D will probably have 50-100% more D thank K. I die a lot, because I suck at games. Hopefully K : D won't become the GearScore of Planeiside 2...
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion