PSU: Tribalwar.com: oops...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum

Old 2012-11-06, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Big Rage Dave
Private

DX9 vs. DX11?

Keep in mind this is slightly above my head but I saw someone make the comment that as of right now the game is running DX9, but I could've sworn it listed DX11 as a system requirement. Anyone able to enlighten me on this?
Old 2012-11-06, 04:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: DX9 vs. DX11?

Nope the game is pure DX9. You probably ran across a thread with people talking about it if anything.
Old 2012-11-06, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Copasetic
Private

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Nope the game is pure DX9. You probably ran across a thread with people talking about it if anything.
Any idea why? This game is stunningly gorgeous as it is, don't get me wrong. But there's a few sources online that show the requirements as needing DX11 and I was curious why they wouldn't be using it anyway. Is it mainly to make it available to a wider range of PC's/levels of hardware?
Old 2012-11-09, 09:54 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

DX9 is old, but you can still make it look very good. Just requires a lot of horsepower and hardware these days can handle it.

As for why DX11 is not being used? I'm not totally sure. SOE probably wanted it to be useable on all Win OSes from XP up and not everyone has a DX11 card. Hopefully there is a patch in the future that brings on DX11 to at least make a performance jump due to it being far more efficient compared to DX9.

Last edited by Goku; 2012-11-09 at 09:55 AM.
Old 2012-11-09, 10:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
MrSmegz
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
DX9 is old, but you can still make it look very good. Just requires a lot of horsepower and hardware these days can handle it.

As for why DX11 is not being used? I'm not totally sure. SOE probably wanted it to be useable on all Win OSes from XP up and not everyone has a DX11 card. Hopefully there is a patch in the future that brings on DX11 to at least make a performance jump due to it being far more efficient compared to DX9.
I think they knew that PS2 would be pushing the limits of Forgelight and require some hefty hardware to play the game. The DX9 is possibly a design at EQ Next, where there wont be massive battles of millions of projectiles to track, and allowing that less demanding game to be played on older hardware.

Limiting the specs like this give me hope to see Planetside 2 roll out on the Playstation 4. Its going to have an AMD APU something along the lines of the Trinity A10, and that paired with a card like a 7770 and 8gb of ram will be enough to play the whole SOE library if they port it over, and allow for Keyboard mouse input.
  PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > Tech Forum