The Auraxian Inquirer - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: What's an admin? Is he like god?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-07-18, 10:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

Post The Auraxian Inquirer

Introduction:
So, quick backstory: I am tasked with compiling everything that happens with PS2 development for my outfit. Basically I try to follow every interview, listen to the podcasts, get everything compressed into little tidbits that people can assimilate quickly. I've been doing this off and on for a while now, and freely give what I find out to other outfits that I run into. Figured I would give this info (When I got something good) to the PS2 forum community. I thought I would start off with a list of news items that came out this past couple weeks and beyond that didn't get much coverage here on the PS2 forums. So here you go, Things you might not have heard about Planetside 2... Episode 1? If I get some good feedback, I'll keep this up, maybe throw in some analysis and commentary for other things that happen in and around the game.

Things you might not have heard: X-cast roundup
These are a few things that were revealed in the T-ray interview with X-cast's podcast (Link to their site). Below is some of the better stuff I pulled out of their interview, but for the full thing, definitely go give it a listen.

Weather effects: Weather in the game was confirmed by T-ray as a long term goal for PS2. This isn't something you should be looking for soon though, or at least that is what I took away from what he said.

Multi-core: Going to to be coming around the time of the PS4 release, because it's going to be part of the PS4 release. So for those of you who hate the PS4 release, but love optimization passes, here is something to keep in mind.

Body models for NS vehicles: Total customization of NS vehicles so that they can look entirely different. The way it was described was that the vehicles were being stripped down to the bare bones and redesigned. The flash had already been redesigned, and the next on the chopping block was the Galaxy. By disassembling the vehicles and leaving only what is essential for the model, they are able to add more back in, while saving space in the game and helping with optimization. I know this is a rather low tech and likely oversimplified explanation, but if you want more the link is up there. What this will lead to though, is more body kits and whatnot that make the NS vehicles become entirely different in look and feel. This was something that will be interwoven in with Player studio, and they hope will be released sometime this year. Other sources I have, had also indicated to me that the player studio thing was somewhere within the area of 4 weeks out at time of writing.

More on player studio. The way it will work, according to what was said by T-ray, was that the devs are trying to get away from making hats and armor and such, and are instead placing that task in your hands! If you make an item, 40% of the money made from that item will go back to You, the maker of the item. All things must be approved by SOE's art department though, so making swastika armor.. probably isn't going to happen.

"Empire specific transports": Smaller Empire specific transports are incoming. The example given was a 2 gunner, 2 passenger, 1 driver Humvee-esque vehicle from PS1 called the Deliverer. Being ES, expect ES weaponry, and ES-type movement. Should be interesting to see.

Leather Dusters, trenchcoats, overcoats: Nope, this isn't going to go in game. T-ray said that it will never be in the game.

City Continent: This is not confirmed or denied. Instead what T-ray said, was that this is one of those things you will kind of have to wait for a final verdict on. Considering the number of props that would be involved, Cities are being held off on, until we get a more reliable frame rate and a better optimized game that can handle it.

Things you might not have heard: A rare Higby sighted!
Unrelated to the X-cast podcast, I ran into Higby the other day on the Test Server. He shot me in the face with a lancer a couple times, and then asked me how I liked the changes. So I asked him about a few things in the game while I had his ear! This is what I got:

Dome shield update: These are still a thing. Currently what is going on, is that the devs are having trouble getting the shields to render at longer distances. So, until that is sorted out, the shields will not go live. That said, Higby confirmed that the shields would be an amp station benefit. So we're looking for sure at a strategic option being necessary to take out, or hold Dome shields.

To the Walls!: So on Esamir, most walls are just kin of like, partitions, you notice that? If there is a wall, you can't get on it, you just have to go around it. Well that will hopefully be changing. Higby said that they are looking into ways that people can interact more with the walls in and around Esamir. So that should be nice.

Things you might not have heard: Older news...
So a while back, there was an interview with MMORPG. On this, Higby related a few things about the game, and there was one big one that stood out...

Your Carrier Has Arrived: Bastion! Higby sat down and laid out what his hopes were for this mythical PS2 vehicle that one day we could all be flying into battle. Basically it would be an outfit item, that was certed into with outfit certs. You would have direct control of it, and your upgrades would determine what roll it played in the battle. Your outfit could one day be flying this thing.

So there you have it...
Feel free to message me if you have questions, comments, or death threats. I'll try and include information herein about various casts, press releases, and important news that comes my way, and there is a backlog of old news that I can draw from.

TLDR:
Going in game one day According to X-cast T-ray interview:
Weather effects
Multi-core: When PS4 release happens
Body kits for all NS vehicles
Empire specific transports

Not going into the game:
Leather coats
City continents (At least for a while)

Ran into Higby, got shot in the face, and he told me:
Dome shields are on the way after a render bug is fixed
Walls will have more ways to be mounted

And in older news (Link at Bottom):
Bastions will one day be a reality for sure!

Anyhow: Thanks for reading!

Last edited by GeoGnome; 2013-07-18 at 10:14 AM.
Old 2013-07-18, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
camycamera
Major

Re: The Auraxian Inquirer

wow, great news! might have a look at your video myself later today
Old 2013-07-18, 06:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Great investigative journalism there. Good work!!
Old 2013-07-18, 10:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by camycamera View Post
wow, great news! might have a look at your video myself later today
It's not my video, it's Higby's interview with MMORPG.

But most people missed it when it happened, so I thought I would present a link to anyone who missed it the first time around.
Old 2013-07-18, 10:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
camycamera
Major

Originally Posted by GeoGnome View Post
It's not my video, it's Higby's interview with MMORPG.

But most people missed it when it happened, so I thought I would present a link to anyone who missed it the first time around.
not that one, the interview with T-Ray is what i meant.
edit: i meant THE video lol

Last edited by camycamera; 2013-07-19 at 02:46 AM.
Old 2013-07-18, 11:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
OCNSethy
Major

Thanks for all your work on this / these... kudos!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion