Weapon Animation, wat? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Got TR?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-02-22, 09:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Weapon Animation, wat?

So it just dawned on me, the Crossbow gave us the unique animation of holding it differently then any other weapon wielded animation. Right hand on the trigger, left on the slider[whatever it's called]

If we can have unique holding animations.... Can we get that underslung Chaingun now please?

Last edited by HereticusXZ; 2014-02-24 at 09:19 AM.
Old 2014-02-23, 03:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
almalino
First Sergeant

Re: Weapon Animation, wat?

I noticed bouncing betties now jump up and explode in the air. Looks so nice. Was this animation added recently or was I blind?

Last edited by almalino; 2014-02-23 at 03:07 AM.
Old 2014-02-23, 03:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

The Bouncing Betty pop-up has has been there for awhile.

But again with maintenance and OMFG does this free up the assets to give us underslung chain-guns?!
Old 2014-02-23, 03:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
Falcon_br
Captain

If they give us under slug chain guns...
What other ESHW they will create for the other factions?
Unless they make the actual chaingun in the game to be under slug they will need to create new weapons to the other factions, and there will be a huge problem with that, because they will be getting new weapons, while we will get the old one with a new hold animation.

In planetside since the close beta of the first game!
Outfit Brasileira de Planetside 2
Old 2014-02-23, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Palerion
Sergeant Major

We can't even get different looking guns... So frustrating.
Old 2014-02-24, 01:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
almalino
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Palerion View Post
We can't even get different looking guns... So frustrating.
I thought gameplay is more important then guns exterior.
Old 2014-02-24, 07:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
War Barney
Sergeant Major

Aye id be more interested in cool guns that work in cool ways than a nice looking skin on them
Old 2014-02-24, 08:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by almalino View Post
I thought gameplay is more important then guns exterior.

Yes and No.... Somewhat of a stretch for a example but look at the Continents:

Example A). Indar for the most part has copy and paste bases dotted all over the place with the exception of a handfull of facilities, Boring but there functional for fighting. They have spawns and they have objectives - It's spartan of decoration but it's ready to fight at!

Example B). New-Amerish where the bases have themes and every one is "unique" for the most part creating a immersive setting even though the mechanics are still the same - Capture A, B, and C to take control of a base with the optional side-objective of destroying a Generator... It's got paint on the wall, furniture, even has yard gnomes, It's ready to fight at!

Putting aside the New-Toy appeal, "functional" base design for a FPS of this size, and relevant population for a fight - Which continent are you more likely to be interested to play on? A or B?

Jumping back to the topic... IMO a functional gun is meh to me, I could care less because at the end of the day it's just another gun to drop the enemy. Weapons that look different and awesome in aesthetics with a unique faction related feature for me to play with has me throwing money at the screen and wanting to log in every day to play with my new toy.

Playing TR The vaunted Uppercut pump-action shotgun shares the same model as the Jaguar Carbine, the Default Carv shares the same model as the TMG-50.... I only bought the Rhino because it looks different and bad-ass compared to everything else. Even the Sniper-Rifles, why does the Bolt-Action Tier 3 Sniper look the exact same and make the same-exact sound as the default Tier 1 Sniper?!

I can forgive the middle-ground NS weapons all looking alike because there NS, But between default weapons and the high-end specialize situation weapons there should be a heavily significant different both in aesthetic appearance and the sound it makes.

I've probably over-simplified the issue discarding weapon differences in fire-rate over muzzle velocity over recoil so on etc for different choices for different situations in favor of aesthetics, but I'd rather have aesthetically pleasing looking weapons with unique traits instead of just another gun that does the same exact thing that the default weapon does making me question "why did I buy this other gun?"

With OMFG they cleaned up and optimized the game, things that were previously dismissed before like a underslung Chaingun should be possible now as proven with the unique animation of the player model holding the cross-bow.

/endrant

Last edited by HereticusXZ; 2014-02-24 at 09:31 AM.
Old 2014-02-24, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

Why would you guys want a under-slung chain gun verse what you have now? As it is now you can shoot from behind cover. With an under-slung weapon you would have to step out in order to shoot. And forget about shooting down on someone from a high point...
Old 2014-02-24, 08:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

So I can have something different. Change the dynamic.
Old 2014-02-24, 10:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Timealude
Captain

i thought the whole reason why they couldnt add it was because it wouldnt work behind cover. i mean why would anyone use something that would get you completely destroyed just because it looks better?

Last edited by Timealude; 2014-02-24 at 11:02 PM.
Old 2014-02-24, 11:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

The reason they gave was adding the extra animation just to hold a weapon differently would be taxing on performance....

Then optimization happened and now we have the Crossbow that's held differently and it didn't hit performance because the Devs are wizards who know how to optimize things now.

No weapon works behind cover, you pop-up or to the side out of cover period to shoot your weapon. Underslung weapons would be no different.

Last edited by HereticusXZ; 2014-02-24 at 11:14 PM.
Old 2014-02-25, 12:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
IHateMMOs
First Sergeant

Misc Info

I like the way the chaingun is right now, it's unique. You expect a chaingun to look underslung. So I don't think they should change it. In fact, if they ever get to making underslung animations, they should keep this old chaingun and call it something else. But honestly, gun animations really don't matter, if the weapon performs the way it was promised, it's all good.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion