Oh lord, playing PS2 is fucking depressing now - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Why play, When you can READ about playing!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-03-19, 10:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

Re: Oh lord, playing PS2 is fucking depressing now

I'm not talking about the lore >.>

I'm talking about strategic military relevance, When you fight a war you fight it over tactical positions or important resources, NOT in the middle of butt-fuck egypt, just cause. IE a farm provides food, a city provides shelter, a factory produces weapons...

Take away the Farm and you starve a army, take away the city and the army suffers in the elements, take away a factory and the army has to scavenge for weapons...

All facilities in PS2 should have a relevance and a noticeable impact that is felt by the whole Empire.

Right now we have a Bio-Lab heal, Amp Stations Turret CD, and Tech-Plants control MBT's? If you lose any of these do you care at all to leave the tower-fight your in? Or will you stay at the tower and continue to farm XP?

Last edited by HereticusXZ; 2014-03-19 at 10:12 PM.
Old 2014-03-20, 11:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

Originally Posted by HereticusXZ View Post
I'm not talking about the lore >.>

I'm talking about strategic military relevance, When you fight a war you fight it over tactical positions or important resources, NOT in the middle of butt-fuck egypt, just cause. IE a farm provides food, a city provides shelter, a factory produces weapons...

Take away the Farm and you starve a army, take away the city and the army suffers in the elements, take away a factory and the army has to scavenge for weapons...

All facilities in PS2 should have a relevance and a noticeable impact that is felt by the whole Empire.

Right now we have a Bio-Lab heal, Amp Stations Turret CD, and Tech-Plants control MBT's? If you lose any of these do you care at all to leave the tower-fight your in? Or will you stay at the tower and continue to farm XP?
I woulnt want to punish an empire even more that is losing already. If anything you should make it to where the winning side becomes more vulnerable to a loss of resources becuase its supply line is too long. IMHO an empire should become slightly stronger the closer it gets to being warpgated.
Old 2014-03-20, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
mrmrmrj
Sergeant

We fight because it is fun to shoot people in the face or the back or with a tank cannon.

I don't need anything more.
Old 2014-03-20, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Crator
Major General

Originally Posted by mrmrmrj View Post
"I" being the operative word. Some people want more....
Old 2014-03-20, 02:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
HereticusXZ
First Sergeant

We fight because it is fun to shoot people in the face or the back or with a tank cannon.

Stagnation is death.

Without progress we'd have what we had on day 1 of PS2 launch and never touched again, no weapon updates, no nothing. and that would of been a terrible thing.

PS2 has no meta-game, It needs Meta-Game.
Old 2014-03-20, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
ringring
Contributor
General

But that can only take you so far.

If all you want to do is shoot then you don't need a lot of what we already have, all you need is a gun and targets.

And to be frank other than a gun and targets all we have are an outfit structure and squads and platoons. And, that's pretty much it where if we are talking about an empire vs empire there should be a war and there isn't, there are only skirmishes.

I like pew-pew from time to time too!
Old 2014-03-20, 06:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Timithos
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by HereticusXZ View Post
Better base design IMO is just band aid solutions, we've been given better base design every major update, every continent revamp, all ever sense the first Indar revamp....

It still hasn't changed the core problems...

Build walls, move the spawn-room, add underground complexes and it still doesn't change the fact that this base has no relevance beyond a glorified paintball arena.

Bases need real mechanical relevance beyond XP or Resources gain.

Ask yourself "What relevance does X facility bring to my Empire that impacts me in a very real way?"

Answer: Only the Tech-Plants control over Main-Battle-Tank production.... and that's arguable over how relevant MBT's are for impacting the war effort.

One of the largest problems to PS2 is the lack or absence of incentive "Why do we fight?" beyond the generic fact that it's a video game, dakka for the sake of dakka. XP Is quite literally the only reason anyone goes to any fight.

Tactics and Strategy, Choosing the right base to attack/defend should be more important then Zerg to X base because it has the most XP.
What we've been given is tiny, incremental base design changes from update to update. None of us have ever seen significant base design except maybe only twice: Wallsamir and Amerish revamp. That's it.

Putting up ONE extra above-ground teleporter is not significant base design. You're right. It's a bandaid solution. But putting in 5 buried teleporter rooms spread 50-100 meters apart from eachother IS significant and certainly not a bandaid.

Putting together all the ideas above off the top of my head the other night is not a bandaid. It's a major base design update the likes of which we have NEVER seen before.

And added defensiveness has added relevance on Amerish, and some people are having a blast in longer lasting battles. There are hard-fought battles that give much more satisfaction and meaning of finally winning - or even finally losing - the battles.

And I agree: This games' XP is too high for killing enemies and not enough for strategic activities like capturing and defending bases. We should get more xp for base captures, base defends, capture point flips, generator overloads, terminal and turret hacking, destroying and repairing turrets, sunderer deployment, squad leading, etc. and a little less across the board for everything else in the game.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion