Planetside 2 vs Planetside: Next - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: WE LOVE YOU!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-06-09, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
DOUBLEXBAUGH
Sergeant Major

Planetside 2 vs Planetside: Next

As I'm sure almost everyone here knows, when what is now Planetside 2 was first announced, it was going to be called Planetside: Next. PS:N was going to essentially be PS1 redone with the new engine. 2 Years into the project they decided to restart from scratch (I'm sure they carried some of their assets into the new project) and "re-imagine Planetside" into what we have now with PS2. Most of the people that came here at the time were happy about this. I however, was one of the few against it.

PS:N would not have been a complete carbon copy of PS1. They would still have switched gunplay to ADS from the Arcade style of PS1. BFRs would not have been brought over. Also Oshur would probably be back to a big dessert instead of 4 little islands. I'm sure redoing the PS1 maps in the new engine would be a lot easier than making completely new maps, so PS:N would have launched with way more than 3 if not all 10 original. Remember, had they not restarted development, PS:N would have had 4 years of development to PS2s 2. We would have are Sancs too! Defensible bases, cert trees and inventories instead of class system (Huge one for me!), some actual land between bases for vehicle combat, I could keep listing but want to keep this OP short and will discuss more of the differences later. So, the reason for this thread...

Now that PS2 has been out for a year and a half, I ask you. Would you rather have PS2 like it is, or preferred they had made Planetside: Next?
Old 2014-06-09, 04:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
ringring
Contributor
General

Re: Planetside 2 vs Planetside: Next

2 years into development? I really doubt that. I would have thought they hadn't got beyond some initial scoping with no code whatsoever.

Also, I don't see how the continents would be easier. They would still have been hand-crafted.

The other thing is the business model. A lot of PS2 derives from FTP, ie the cert grind.

The gun handling too. Yes it would have been different but guns are more accurate in ps2 than they were in ps1 - that would impact on how base designs play out.

However, aside from those quibbles yes.

I prefer the old cloakers.
I don't see the point in different classes
I prefer the old NTU for bases and base drains etc etc etc
I prefer the old generators powering the whole facility with gen holds to deny benefits
I prefer the routers as siege breakers.
I prefer the old CE.
I prefer the old cap timers.
I prefer the old number of continents with lattice links.
I prefer the old command ranks seperate from battle ranks.
I prefer the feeling that captures are meaningful

OS's and bfr's I could take or leave.

In PS2 I quite like the variety of weapons and trying to work out which you prefer per class and per situation.
Although it's not very 'blokey' I quite like the camos - and no I don't like shopping nor do I have a different pair of shoes for each occasion with matching handbag and nor do I like Justin Bieber.

The big problem with this post is...... I know what you're saying but it isn't going to happen.
Old 2014-06-09, 06:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Crator
Major General

So, SOE at first said they wanted to upgrade PS1 with new engine. I'm unsure of when they said this. I can't remember if they used the term Planetside:Next when talking about the upgrade.

I know for sure they used the term Planetside:Next when they started talking about ditching the PS1 upgrade idea and creating a whole new game. This occurred on in Sept. of 2009 (PlanetSide 2 in the works?)...

There's quite a bit of assumption being said in the OP I think. Who's to say they wouldn't have made a lot of changes had they not continued to just do the PS1 Upgrade path? If they had, I'm pretty sure they would have done a lot in the way of making the game free-to-play which would have most likely brought PS1 more in line with how PS2 is currently anyways. But they didn't upgrade PS1 because they wanted to make all those changes not to mention they've said that the PS1 code was horrid to modify/update, hence project Planetside:Next equaled make new game instead....
Old 2014-06-09, 11:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Calista
Second Lieutenant

It was 18 months in the works (Trammel said that a while ago)but whose counting? The deal is that PS1 redone wouldn't do well unless it was "free" and had countless hats and skins for the modern day kiddos to spend their parents money on. It's easier to hide a couple $7 hats here or there on Mommie's credit card than a steady sub fee charge.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion