What coms will we all be using in PS2? (ie TeamSpeak) - Page 10 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: wait til the chicks get a hold of the new backpacks
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-01-30, 12:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #136
Coreldan
Colonel

Re: What coms will we all be using in PS2? (ie TeamSpeak)

Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Hopefully it has push to talk, and is not restricted to voice activation only.
At least APBs Vivox has PTT option, it's just a matter of SoE implementing it too

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-01-30, 12:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #137
Tikuto
Major

Lightbulb 2 Commlink animations

Originally Posted by RadarX View Post
Vivox isn't going to wow you with brand new features. It's going to do exactly what we all used to in TS and Vent but will have a UI in game to support it. It's about convenience and accessibility.
A cool commlink animation would be awesome with a seperate keybind to mimic third-party voice comms would be well-adapt and well-appreciated, also.
  • In-game VOIP character animation [keybind]. (in-game Vivox)
  • Out-game VOIP character animation [keybind]. (Vent / TS3)

I'll only be using out-game third-party VOIP services as an officer/commander alternative or co-operative Outfit battalions. Seems only right.

[URL="http://t.co/wHak5U5R"]Floating Mountains[/URL
PlanetSide 2: Alien Incursion
(PlanetSide 2 Steam Community Group)

Last edited by Tikuto; 2012-01-30 at 12:54 PM.
Old 2012-01-30, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #138
CutterJohn
Colonel

Re: Voice communication in PS2

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
Sounds.. exploitable

Why pay for mumble/TS/Vent servers when you can just make an account on PS2 to get a free VoiP server?

And that is probably more down to Vivox than SoE
Sounds like a perfect item for the cash store. Pay $10 or whatever a month, allows access to your clans chat hosting out of game.
Old 2012-01-30, 03:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #139
FIREk
Captain

Originally Posted by Reginald View Post
Hopefully it has push to talk, and is not restricted to voice activation only.
It must and will have PTT, there's no doubt about it.

Hopefully, though, PTT will be the defautl option, for the sake of all the nublets who wouldn't know where to look for such an option, and could potentially spam others with "NO MOOOOOM, i'M NOT HUNGRY!!" otherwise.
Old 2012-01-30, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #140
NCLynx
Major

With my outfit? Still very likely to be using Ventrilo/Mumble/Teamspeak (Most likely Vent).

Of course I'll be putting my hopes into the in-game system as well for when no outfit things are happening and I'm just squaded with some randoms.
Old 2012-02-01, 02:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #141
Beagle
Private

I'm really happy to hear you're considering proximal chat. A group I'm with plays with it exclusively for ArmA 2 and it's incredibly fun/immersive. I noticed APB uses a system trying to approach the same effect and while APB is unfortunately quite flawed in its own way, I was impressed by its potential.

I'd go so far as to say consider letting enemies hear proximally the same as friendlies. The potential for really tense/involving gameplay would be high, it'd just be some people might see the loss of efficiency above all else it brings and just be upset about it. Something to consider, anyway.
Old 2012-02-09, 04:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #142
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
We hope you'll use our built in Vivox chat. It will automatically create channels for vehicles you're in, squads, outfits (based on outfit permissions of who can use it) and (possibly) proximal chat for near by allies etc. We're putting a lot of effort into our voip solution.
I've been busy for the past couple months, so I'm just catching up on PlanetSide news, but this is THE BEST news I've heard about PS2 to date.

Quick question, if you revisit the thread (admittedly almost two months later) -- PS1's built in VOIP was tricky to get to work with NAT setups depending on the squad leader's router. Will a little more attention be paid to making it as "configuration light" as possible this time around?
Old 2012-02-09, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #143
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Mumble. Cheap and reliable.
Old 2012-02-09, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #144
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Gonna try the in game voip. With TS on backup.

Old 2012-02-09, 04:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #145
DayOne
Captain

I hope the in game VoiP is good. It will be so helpful if you are able to talk to randoms.

Also having all controls in game is just helpful.
Old 2012-02-09, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #146
Arrow
Corporal

Originally Posted by Goku View Post
Mumble. Cheap and reliable.
What he said.
Old 2012-02-09, 05:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #147
Zhane
Staff Sergeant

I have high hopes for the ingame system, but I'll be using whatever the outfit I end up joining uses.
Old 2012-02-10, 11:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #148
magnatron
Private

Originally Posted by basti View Post
If you want it really easy and straightforward to use, then get a client going. Because that is the one big thing that people dont like about integrated voice: you cant talk with the crew without being in the game.

haven't made it to the end of the thread yet so i just may be repeating something but i just couldn't help myself lol.

this is an excellent point, one of the great advantages of using a 3rd party comms is upon a crash your not tossed out of comms. why not build the base functionality of your comms right into the launcher. everyone is going to have it installed, you can open it without launching the game and be able to quickly get in chat with your outfit and see whats going on.

if comms end up the traditional way the channel for vehicles is going to be great, vivox for pugs will be used. but on the outfit level everyone will fall back to the tried and true ts3/vent/mumble/______.

oh and here's a scary thought for you guys to ponder, command chat over voice..........
Old 2012-02-10, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #149
Goku
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by magnatron View Post
haven't made it to the end of the thread yet so i just may be repeating something but i just couldn't help myself lol.

this is an excellent point, one of the great advantages of using a 3rd party comms is upon a crash your not tossed out of comms. why not build the base functionality of your comms right into the launcher. everyone is going to have it installed, you can open it without launching the game and be able to quickly get in chat with your outfit and see whats going on.

if comms end up the traditional way the channel for vehicles is going to be great, vivox for pugs will be used. but on the outfit level everyone will fall back to the tried and true ts3/vent/mumble/______.

oh and here's a scary thought for you guys to ponder, command chat over voice..........
Can't be worse then some of the TF2 servers I have been in with 32 person all talk.
Old 2012-02-10, 11:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #150
NivexQ
Contributor
First Sergeant

Misc Info

With proper API feedback, Teamspeak 3 and Mumble can both be configured to automatically move people to different channels depending on the situation. Not that i'm saying that's what I want... I'm just throwing that out there. I'm not sure in vent is able to do that.

NivexTR - TR - 30/5 - -=The Black Sheep=-
SYNxNivexQ - NC - 26/4 - [:::::SYN:::::]
NivexVS - VS - 19/2? - SYNDICATEVS?

http://www.twitch.tv/nivexq
I don't broadcast much, but you never know
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion