Quick Knife - Is it really the best option? - Page 11 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Because spamming outfit chat isn't enough...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What type of Quick-Melee attack do you prefer?
Rifle-Bash -I prefer it to be changed to something a bit more basic and natural. 114 31.58%
Quick-Knife- I prefer it to stay like it is like typical modern shooters. 42 11.63%
I don't want to see a quick-melee at all. Equip your knife to do battle! 205 56.79%
Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-13, 10:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #151
Kilmoran
Staff Sergeant

Re: Quick Knife - Is it really the best option?

Originally Posted by The Degenatron View Post
If you are creeping up on some guy to do a stealth kill, then there's no need to have a "quick knife".

Someone else mention the knife attack in BF3, and I agree, it's very well done. The only problem I have with it is that you can creep on a guy with your gun out and just hit a quick button to get the knife kill. That's not realistic or fair. It gives the attacker a "backup plan" of having a gun at the ready in case they get caught. Funk Dat!

By all means, sneak, creep, and cut a fool - but go "all in" for it. If you're gonna get a one-shot silent kill - then it is fair that you are vulnerable when moving into position for it (equipped knife) and during the take-down (just like BF3).

What I DON'T want to see is some jerky running and swiping and getting kills left and right or camping around the corner of a door quick swiping people as they run out.
I haven't ever supported quick knife, thus i'm not sure why you quoted me to speak against it.
Old 2012-06-13, 10:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #152
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

The only way I can see anything like a quick knife would be a quick thrust of your rifle with a bayonet attached to it. Otherwise quickknifing third arm physics dont make sense at all.
Old 2012-06-13, 10:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #153
LZachariah
First Lieutenant

If it were me, to try and satisfy 1. The modern-day-shooter-crowd, 2. The Planetside purists, and 3. The Assassin's Creed/Hitman crowd, I would make it that there is a quick-knife command that "does some damage" (depending on the enemy's armor and what certs/implants you have) and you could also "equip" your knife for auto-kills (this would not work on a MAX unit).

I think that would be my preferential balance. To be honest, this isn't too big an issue to me either way :-)

~Zachariah
Old 2012-06-13, 10:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #154
Hermes
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by LZachariah View Post
To be honest, this isn't too big an issue to me either way :-)

~Zachariah
You know In my heart of hearts this is how I feel too.

I can put forward an idea that I like, but the outcome isn't a game breaker for me. However it does occupy me while I'm compiling.

Old 2012-06-13, 10:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #155
HeatLegend
Master Sergeant

I dont get what people have against melee in an FPS game? Wether it should be quick or not is another thing, but in my opinion it is both realistic and more fun to have an alternative when you happen to get up close or behind someone rather than mow them down with bullets and give yourself away.

I remember in Bad Company 2 I had this one profile called Jack Ze Ripper on which I only used my knife and gadgets such as mortar (not to kill, just to cover myself when I changed position, it was good cover). I often used to be among the top with a KD above 1.

This one time I played Rush on Valparaiso I think it was in a full-game, and I got the Ace and Gold Squad-pin with 25/20 KD. Had to screenshot it, I dont think I've ever had a greater adrenaline rush while gaming than I had during those 20 minutes.

Anyway, that was just for fun when I had pretty much finished playing the game in its real fashion and wanted a challenge.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._3778469_o.jpg <<<<<<<<< aah, the memories

It says "39" kills below, never got what that was, maybe they counted in assists in that.

And to those who you see are really bad at going melee, just think of them as free kills, it wont hurt- Melees are the ones that are at a disadvantage.

Last edited by HeatLegend; 2012-06-13 at 10:25 AM.
Old 2012-06-13, 05:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #156
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

I agree with the OP on the aesthetics of the matter. The major downside is that quick knifing, from the design perspective, is not just the easy but also the cheap way out. A more complex system needs more animation, graphical work, and balancing to back it up and none of that is free. Still, it would be a nice thing.

For balance I'd like to see quick melee be lightly damaging and somewhat disruptive. Maybe a bit of knock back or screen shake. More damage from the back.
Drawing the knife would allow you to do some more serious damage. Turn on the secondary and attack from behind and it would probably be a fair one shot.

I like the bayonet idea too, I think.
Old 2012-06-13, 05:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #157
Dairian
Sergeant

On this subject PS1 had it right. Equip your knife when out and ammo or if you have an implant booster. I use to cloak with the implant and knife people 2 times in the first mode and own. It wasn't that hard but you had to wait for your stamina to re-gen to do it again. Which kept it from being OP. Why have quick knife when you have a gun in your hand?
Old 2012-06-13, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #158
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

In case noone said it yet.

Both quick-knife and equip-knife, please.

Quick-knife takes 2-4 hits to kill, equip-knife allows for 1-hit killmoves.

Or in short, steal BF3s knife.
Old 2012-06-13, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #159
Phellix
Sergeant

Originally Posted by captainkapautz View Post
In case noone said it yet.

Both quick-knife and equip-knife, please.

Quick-knife takes 2-4 hits to kill, equip-knife allows for 1-hit killmoves.

Or in short, steal BF3s knife.
I'd say QK 3-4, equip 2, 1 hit would make stealthers silly retardedly op
Old 2012-06-13, 05:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #160
Tricky
Contributor
Corporal

Melee was done best in TF2. Equip knife FTW
Old 2012-06-13, 05:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #161
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Phellix View Post
I'd say QK 3-4, equip 2, 1 hit would make stealthers silly retardedly op
I said killmoves, not 1-hit kill.

I.e. sneak up behind a dude, wait for prompt (knife getting raised in BF3), press attack button, watch animation play out where you stab the shit outta the dude.

Even makes it possible to be shot during the animation so teammates can save each other from stabbitydeath.

Cloakers can easily be balanced being dropping stealth when attacking.

That and better having Darklight ready.
Old 2012-06-13, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #162
GreatMazinkaise
Captain

Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
Melee was done best in TF2. Equip knife FTW
Well, apart from the Spy...
Old 2012-06-13, 05:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #163
jepaul
First Sergeant

Quick knife absolutely. People mentioned in here you must of done something wrong to use your knife. Really? I'm fing bored one night and want to spend 30 minutes sneaking around a hill simply to knife the sniper on top. I did nothing wrong other than to accomplish what I intended to when I started. We also have cash prices within our outfit for knife kills and other melee type battles ext. King of the hill is one of my favorite interanl contests.
Old 2012-06-13, 06:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #164
Knuckle
Private

How about Red Orchestra's style of doing thing's? You can rifle bash quickly, but it'll take three hits, or "charge" a hit up so that you can do a 1 to 2 hit kill. A bayonet would just allow more damage.
Old 2012-06-13, 07:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #165
qbert2
Corporal

If you're out of ammo and someone has a gun in your face you should feel impotent. You screwed up and are about to get shot in the face.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion