Quick Knife - Page 12 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where Spoons have more followers then Jesus.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Quick Knife
Yes 45 18.52%
No 198 81.48%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-09, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #166
Sirisian
Colonel

Re: Quick Knife

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
I see little purpose in the throwing. Presumably you're carrying at least one firearm, so why spend your backup weapon fighting at range? Silence doesn't strike me as a strong argument. Balancing aside, it's not like they couldn't just make a silencer attachment.
It would be more like a tertiary weapon choice and not intended to replace a primary weapon or pistol. It differs from a silenced pistol in that it does concentrated damage similar to a quick grenade but directed at a single unit. The example would be if you're in a hallway and you are cloaking you could hold a knife in the throwing position then step out and throw whereas with a silenced pistol you'd be forced to reveal yourself for longer to do the same damage. In that way for infiltrators it's more of an assassination weapon. By the time the knife has traveled through the air and hit its target the player that threw it is back in hiding even if the target had a form of dark light.
Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
By "stab", are you referring to the power mode?
Yes, identical to the PS1 version. I forgot to note the audible sound which is important to make the distinction. For normal players it would still be 3 hits from full health which was the important point I was trying to make.
Old 2012-02-09, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #167
ThGlump
Captain

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Version 2: My favorite knife system would be:
  • Quick knife with post swipe delay (representing holstering delay different for each weapon) for 33% damage
    • Tapping the quick knife key swipes for 33% damage
    • Holding the quick knife key transitions to throwing knife after 1 second. 10 m range medium COF. 33% damage
    • Holding over 1.5 seconds has 25 m with small COF. 33% damage
  • 3-mode equipped knife:
    • swipe, 33% damage (remember it's faster for continuous swipes than quick knifing since it lacks the post swipe delay)
    • stab, 45% damage
    • throw, single use 33% damage (better for multiple knives since there's no holstering delay)
  • Throw has pre and post throw delay (longer animation). Slow spinning projectile.
  • When equipped secondary stab mode does 75% damage when backstabbing.
  • Maxes takes 10% damage from knife attacks.
Ok quick knife with long delay after. But no to have it same dmg as equiped (and even those seems too high). More like equipped swing 25%, quick swing 10-15% (you do it in hurry - less accurate with worse grip).
No throwing knives. Everyone has shields and armor that they can survive multiple shots from weapon and yet you want throw knife at them. Pointless. Another thing if you want to throw knife, you have only ONE, and then you are out and cant use it even for melee attack (unless you customize our loadout to have 2 or 3 of them)
No damage to MAX units from knife. Next time you would want to destroy tank with one. MAXes are soldiers equivalent of a tank and were immune to knives. There is no reason to change that.

Overall all your damage from knives looks too high, why should be knife hardest hitting weapon ingame? Unless that base damage and will be reduced by armor (Inifls take 100% dmg, agile 85%, rexo 70%, MAX 0%). Other than that its acceptable (but would be better without quick knife).
Old 2012-02-09, 12:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #168
nomotog
Sergeant

Here is my idea for knives quick knives and things.

To start you have to equip a knife. Some classes get a free weapon slot just for knives, others have to drop it in a secondary weapon slot bumping off the pistol. Most combat classes will have this dedicated slot at start or from a upgrade only engineer and medic classes won't get this slot.

When you have a knife equipped not all weapons let you quick jab with it. Some let you do it naturally (pistol) some can get a upgrade to do it (rifle) some will never let you knife (rocket launcher)

You can put away your gun and draw your knife. This lets you get at it's extra powers and secondary attacks.

Assassin knife: A chain knife, you can hold down the secondary attack to charge it up. It makes a humming sound and might mark you on radar for some classes. As it spins up, it increases damage. You can use this to one shot someone after it's been spun up fast enough.

Throwing knife: You throw it. Not a lot too it mostly used by the classes that had to give up there side arm to get the knife.

Defending knife: The knife for people that don't want to be back stabbed. When drawn, it puts a little anti knife shield on you so your not going to die form a charged back stab. (when you hear the hum, switch to the knife) It's secondary attack will block all knife damage from the front. This knife dose lower overall damage. (The idea is that you would be darting feinting blocking back and forth like a real knife fight.)

Disruptor knife: The secondary effect on this knife renders delays the normal shield regeneration making it take two to 3 times as long as normal. made to be used in more drawn out fights and act as the counter to the defending knife. (The defenders anti knife shield is disabled by this attack.)

Last edited by nomotog; 2012-02-09 at 12:32 PM.
Old 2012-02-09, 01:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #169
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Also the 49 people that said no quick knife, can you be explicit if you don't want any quick knife button at all or if you don't want one-hit quick knives.
I like the way Planetside had it set up. I don't want insta-gib garbage in Planetside 2. If I wanted to play Call of Dookie I'd just go fucking play Call of Dookie.
Old 2012-02-09, 02:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #170
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
I like the way Planetside had it set up. I don't want insta-gib garbage in Planetside 2. If I wanted to play Call of Dookie I'd just go fucking play Call of Dookie.
You completely avoided the question that you yourself quoted.

Last edited by Vancha; 2012-02-09 at 02:03 PM.
Old 2012-02-09, 02:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #171
Graywolves
General

Should knives be implemented they should require switching to and switching out.

Possible takedowns/assassinations from behind if someone gets close enough, maybe if trained.
Old 2012-02-09, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #172
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
Nah, his answer was sufficient. Basically he feels strongly for having only equipped knives and doesn't want a knife that one-hits.

I'm on my cellphone, so I can't make long replies right now, but balance issues are debatable. 25% might be too low for a close range attack, but I'll need to think about it more. Basically the longer delay after quick knife was explained to be a final strike differing it from the equipped slash for more rapid cuts. I was imagining a quick knife post delay of around a second justifying the damage. If the delay was smaller 25% seems okay, but it could be less of a final strike.
Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
Overall all your damage from knives looks too high, why should be knife hardest hitting weapon ingame?
Sniper will probably be higher. My numbers were up for debate. I mostly was imagining the risk vs reward, while not designing a knife system like in PS1 where no one uses them at all. (This was argued by some as a good thing though).

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-02-09 at 02:56 PM.
Old 2012-02-09, 04:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #173
Sabrak
Contributor
First Sergeant

Oh come on....

Quick knife now?

Isn't Planetside 2 a game based on shooting, team-work, tactics and planning your next move?

It should stay this way.
Taking a knife and sneaking up to someone to stab him should be something you have to plan a little.
Not like running to the dude with your huge weapon in your hands, and then magically and instantly get your knife in your hand and stab the dude in a fraction of second.

If you really wanna have a quick to use close-combat thing, then let us smack our gunstock in somebody's face, or give us bayonets as side-grades.
But no instant kill for any of them.
Old 2012-02-09, 05:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #174
Pillow
Corporal

@ Sirisian
I dont want quick button at all because i want to know if my enemy is wielding a knife so i can be honorable and duel him with a knife or just shoot him in the face.

I dont want instagib in your face knifes like in COD.
I dont want throwing knifes.
I do not mind backstab damage bonus however.

Last edited by Pillow; 2012-02-09 at 05:26 PM.
Old 2012-02-09, 06:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #175
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
I'd say I'm sorry you flunked reading comprehension 101 but I don't think you'd be able to understand what I was trying to convey.
Old 2012-02-09, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #176
Neksar
Corporal

Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
I'd say I'm sorry you flunked reading comprehension 101 but I don't think you'd be able to understand what I was trying to convey.
What you were trying to get across was "DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING OMG! CALL OF DUTY SUCKS AND I HATE IT BECAUSE IT'S COOL TO HATE IT!" or something along those lines. The fact of the matter is, Planetside 2's a new game. A dedicated melee button is a matter of convenience. In a game like Planetside 2, which will probably have a bit more twitch than we're used to from PS1. The quick melee will probably be there to keep folks with jackhammers or miniguns from just humping the legs (yes, I'm going to keep using that term of phrase) of everyone inside buildings a la PS1.
Old 2012-02-09, 06:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #177
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by Neksar View Post
What you were trying to get across was "DON'T CHANGE ANYTHING OMG! CALL OF DUTY SUCKS AND I HATE IT BECAUSE IT'S COOL TO HATE IT!" or something along those lines. The fact of the matter is, Planetside 2's a new game. A dedicated melee button is a matter of convenience. In a game like Planetside 2, which will probably have a bit more twitch than we're used to from PS1. The quick melee will probably be there to keep folks with jackhammers or miniguns from just humping the legs (yes, I'm going to keep using that term of phrase) of everyone inside buildings a la PS1.
Call of Duty sucks because it's an awful game.

Last edited by Graywolves; 2012-02-09 at 10:18 PM.
Old 2012-02-09, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #178
Metalsheep
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
Call of Duty sucks because it's an aweful game.
Truth. This times 1000.
Old 2012-02-09, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #179
Neksar
Corporal

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
Call of Duty sucks because it's an aweful game.
Aweful, as in, full of awe? Jeez. I mean, I thought it was okay, but I wouldn't go so far as to call it aweful.

In all seriousness, I don't expect PS2 to be much like Call of Duty with the exception of some aesthetics like character model body proportions, iron sights, etc. Hopefully kill times aren't *too* short - I liked the frantic running for cover and the pitched gun battles, but ending them so quickly takes away from the fun.

Do also consider that another staple of the Call of Duty franchise is a decent bit of customization, superfluous or otherwise, which this community seems to have embraced wholeheartedly.
Old 2012-02-09, 07:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #180
ThGlump
Captain

Originally Posted by Neksar View Post
The quick melee will probably be there to keep folks with jackhammers or miniguns from just humping the legs (yes, I'm going to keep using that term of phrase) of everyone inside buildings a la PS1.
Wow going with knife head on against jackhammer and mcg, and want to win? And there someone was wondering why ps1 vets dont want osok quick knife. I would TK anybody who would use such an exploit. Yes the way you want it to use feels more like an exploit, and i will treat it like that (even if it would be regular gameplay - but in that case i would rather quit)
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion