Quick Knife - Page 15 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Rejecting the quotes you thought were clever since 2002!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Quick Knife
Yes 45 18.52%
No 198 81.48%
Voters: 243. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-11, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #211
Sighpolice
Corporal

Re: Quick Knife

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
I assume you mean you want quick time events (QTE)? I included a section for parrying attacks. Is that sufficient? If not can you explain the mechanism that you wanted and how it would play out with an example?
No, I don't want a quick time event, I don't want a quick knife full stop. I'm just pointing out that the idea of a quick knife doesn't make sense, if you need it to be quick then it has to be relatively short and with that you lack power and you will most likely end up in a bloody brawl that lasts too long for it to make sense than a "omg 1 shottted you from behind lololololol." Don't get me wrong, i'm aware you have the "drop" on somebody if you're behind them, but there is still a tiny chance that guy will turn round, it's all happened to us.. with a "1 shot auto-aiming homing knife cause it's your back lawl" you get rid of that chance, it's far more frustrating to be killed by a quickknife that you saw coming (and therefore realisticly have a chance to rifle but it out of the attackers hand etc.) but couldn't stop the animation.

if you insist on writing your own knife skill and want my opinion (besides the NO answer) then it would be like 15% health or something so it takes 6-7 slashes to kill somebody, as the people in planetside are wearing composite armour that can withstand bullets and is super-alien advanced. Maybe like 10 for a rexo, cause it's a solid exoskeleton.
Old 2012-02-11, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #212
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Sighpolice View Post
it's far more frustrating to be killed by a quickknife that you saw coming (and therefore realisticly have a chance to rifle but it out of the attackers hand etc.) but couldn't stop the animation.
That's what the parry allows. You see it coming and you're at 30% health and you can block it possibly allowing a friendly to then kill the person.

Originally Posted by Sighpolice View Post
if you insist on writing your own knife skill and want my opinion (besides the NO answer) then it would be like 15% health or something so it takes 6-7 slashes to kill somebody
Interesting. 15% was around what someone else said also. I think you're misunderstanding a quick knife. You don't spam it multiple times. You do it once then it goes back to your rifle. Assuming, let's say 1 second post swipe delay to go back to your rifle that's a 7-10 second kill time just using the quick knife. It's "quick" for one attack. The idea with the design I described is that equipping is for multiple slashes.

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
I actually think that knives should be near useless for anyone except infiltrators.
Yeah, some others here share that opinion also.

Last edited by Sirisian; 2012-02-11 at 03:06 PM.
Old 2012-02-23, 08:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #213
Lord Cosine
Corporal

I would personally like this.
Equip Knife. No OSOK. Increased Backstab dmg.
Old 2012-02-23, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #214
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

Anybody suggested a good ol fashioned bayonet attached to their rifle?

In terms of any form of 1 shot kill, I think that should be reserved for snipers who can T-Shot (headshot, throat, chest-between-nipples and heart) after calculating for elevation, wind, temperature, distance and axial spin ALL BY THEMSELVES

-or-

Being in the wrong place at the wrong time. Like sticking your head in the way of a 150mm shell. Or jumping under the wheels of a Sunderer.

If you have the skill, you deserve the reward. Running up to someone spamming X (or L1 or R1) isn't skill, it's cheese.
Old 2012-02-23, 09:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #215
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by StumpyTheOzzie View Post
Anybody suggested a good ol fashioned bayonet attached to their rifle?
Twice now. Personally I think attaching bayonets would seem out of place in an FPS, but that might just be me.

Originally Posted by StumpyTheOzzie View Post
Running up to someone spamming X (or L1 or R1) isn't skill, it's cheese.
So are you okay with a quick-button for knifing if it balanced with respect to equipped knives as a finishing move? Not sure if you read the previous pages. We discussed a few balance ideas.

I would recommend for anyone coming late to the discussion to read the full 15 pages as the topic shifted from one-hit knives a while back. Pretty much everyone is against them. Some have voice opinions about backstabs though and damage modifiers up to suggesting one-hit backstabs.
Old 2012-02-24, 12:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #216
Sifer2
Major

My least favorite part of Battlefield 2142 was some guy running around the corner. I put 3 shots in his chest but he kills me faster by slashing me once with his knife. And that wasn't even quick knife.

Needless to say i'm against quick knife.
Old 2012-02-24, 01:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #217
Garem
Sergeant

I'm inclined to like quick knife better. I don't think any of the arguments being made matter, since it's purely a matter of preference.
Old 2012-02-24, 01:34 AM   [Ignore Me] #218
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Garem View Post
I'm inclined to like quick knife better. I don't think any of the arguments being made matter, since it's purely a matter of preference.
Actually it doesn't have to be. That's the distinction I made with my suggested implementation. It makes quick knife a finishing attack while equipped knife is more designed for rapid knife attacks to fit what most people in this thread have voiced concerns over.

Originally Posted by Sifer2 View Post
I put 3 shots in his chest but he kills me faster by slashing me once with his knife.
So you're fine with a quick knife that doesn't one-hit?
Old 2012-02-24, 03:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #219
SpLiTNuTz
Corporal

No quick knife. Keep it the same as ps1
Old 2012-02-24, 01:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #220
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by SpLiTNuTz View Post
No quick knife. Keep it the same as ps1
This. I'm wearing armour FFS.
Old 2012-02-24, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #221
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
./agree

No quick knife please.

Old 2012-02-24, 02:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #222
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Mastachief View Post
You already said you don't want a quick-button knife or one-hit equipped knife. Are you against having a knife in Planetside 2? Or do you mean it should just hit for like 30% damage.
Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
No quick knife please.
Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
I could just see people spamming this shit as we are trying to take a base.
So would you be fine if it had a holstering delay as explained earlier making it a finishing move and keeping equipped knife for more rapid swipes? At around the 30% damage mark it would require 4 hits to kill someone ideally making it less effective than a shotgun in close quarters combat. Using the quick-button knife would then only hit for 30% damage and then the player would be hit with a holstering delay as they re-equipped their previous weapon leaving them vulnerable. Any thoughts on that?
Old 2012-02-24, 02:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #223
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Any form of quick knife is bad, leave it as planetside 1 works. I wont go as far as saying remove the knife as its pretty essential for cloakers or when you run out of ammunition.

But this is a war hundreds of years in the future and i have armour and shields.

This is yet another stupid feature from modern FPS games that doesn't belong. If i'm shooting you with a rifle you better believe that you wouldn't be able to pull a knife and ram it hard enough to penetrate shields and armour before my bullets/lasers rip your spine out.

No to the i win button.
Old 2012-02-24, 05:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #224
TerminatorUK
Master Sergeant

Probably will be about as popular as offering a plate of Quorn to a carnivore but I'm goibg to go out on a limb and say 'Yes' to quick knives or quick melee.

Doesn't need to be insta gib...50% damage per hit would be useful.
Old 2012-03-05, 08:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #225
Tom Peters
Master Sergeant

I've heard a lot of tears shed about this already. Personally, I see no problem with a melee button, as long as it doesn't one-shot kill, besides backstabs.

Personally, I would love to see quicktime backstabs like in BF3. No reason why you shouldn't be rewarded for sneaking up on someone.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion