Planetside2 Dog fighting Question - for Community Day people and beyond - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of mud wrestling wednesday.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-07-24, 08:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Tvayda
Private

Re: Planetside2 Dog fighting Question - for Community Day people and beyond

I really hope they make the flight mechanics somewhat realistic like Higby was hinting at. Having G-forces and angle of attack play a part into it would be awesome! The dog-fighting would be most intense if it was so!
Old 2012-07-24, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Vertigo
Private

Originally Posted by soulsurfsublime View Post
I think another factor that will have to be taken in is the day/night cycle. Moving at break neck speed in the pitch black I hope will make for some really insane memorable moments. Then do you put the spotlight/headlights on your vehicle and make yourself a big glowing beacon or adapt to low visibility. I know in Bf3 as infantry I never run flash light or laser sight because I fell it gives your position away so badly. And BF3 night is very sub par to PS2's amazing night cycle.
From the videos, the engine exhaust is what will give you away the most. Then it comes down to what shape it takes to identify what fighter it is. Also remember that any allied aircraft will have it's name displayed, and probably have an icon. I'd think the darkness would hide ground vehicles more than aircraft.
Old 2012-07-24, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Reizod
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Tvayda View Post
I really hope they make the flight mechanics somewhat realistic like Higby was hinting at. Having G-forces and angle of attack play a part into it would be awesome! The dog-fighting would be most intense if it was so!
You're going to be happy then!

I just can't wait to see all the Aircraft sidegrades and certs. Ooooh, all the customization possibilities have me...
Old 2012-07-24, 09:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
XxAxMayxX
Sergeant

all of the aircraft can hover and go fairly fast with afterburners. they do have more physics and they still fly much like any other modern fps
Old 2012-07-25, 07:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
ZaBa
Corporal

Originally Posted by Vertigo View Post
From the videos, the engine exhaust is what will give you away the most. Then it comes down to what shape it takes to identify what fighter it is. Also remember that any allied aircraft will have it's name displayed, and probably have an icon. I'd think the darkness would hide ground vehicles more than aircraft.
Stealth for vehicles has been talked about in various contexts, but honestly being able to reduce/remove engine glow and contrails at the expense of speed or something would be at least as good as actual invisibility for night ops. Maybe throw in a little noise suppression as well, since being able to hear aircraft overflight and identify them from the sound is a thing now.
Old 2012-07-25, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
LegioX
First Sergeant

I want to see proper E-retention placed in the game. That way Scythe players (like myself) can fly high above the map and be able to "boom and zoom" reavers, which are faster. There will be no way to even catch a reaver in a dive with the way mechanics are now.
Old 2012-07-25, 08:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Rodel
Sergeant

Could somebody please describe what make these flight characteristics different. Tell me what buttons your pressing or something. I heard total biscuit say that to turn the mechanics require you to roll and then pitch... like an actual plane. That was good... I finally had some insight into flying. Give me more please!!!

P.S. When Total Biscuit chose his name, because he's British, was he really picking the name Total Cookie?
Old 2012-07-25, 12:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Reizod
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Rodel View Post
Could somebody please describe what make these flight characteristics different. Tell me what buttons your pressing or something. I heard total biscuit say that to turn the mechanics require you to roll and then pitch... like an actual plane. That was good... I finally had some insight into flying. Give me more please!!!

P.S. When Total Biscuit chose his name, because he's British, was he really picking the name Total Cookie?
When you ask "different"... compared to what, the old PS flight physics? If you are, then it's very much different in almost every way.
Old 2012-07-25, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Broadside
Sergeant

The only thing I don't like about flying in PS2 is the camera. Rather than like the BF3 camera that only changes it's angle when you go upside down (as in it stays locked upright while you do hard turns), the PS2 camera is locked to the angle of the aircraft and turns whenever you turn. It's kind of disorienting and makes the aircraft feel slower and more jerky.
Old 2012-07-25, 01:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Rodel View Post
The three primary axes of rotation are distinct. You can roll, yaw, and pitch separately. You also have a station-keeping VTOL drive that operates at low airspeeds at varying levels of effectiveness in the different aircraft. All of the above can be mapped wherever you want.

When NDA lifts I'll be filling up the forums with flight model garbage, rest assured.
Old 2012-07-25, 01:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Arovien
First Sergeant

Flight mechanics feel very similar to BF3. Basically the same control scheme. From Higby's comments, air combat is pretty damn spot on from what he has said. The one thing that is kinda awkward is that the up and down movement from the mouse is not inverted by default (I am assuming we can change that). Beyond me why inverted is not the default...
The unlocks for the air vehicles are gonna play a huge roll in air combat. No one has tested that out yet (i think).
Old 2012-07-25, 03:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Reizod
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Arovien View Post
Flight mechanics feel very similar to BF3. Basically the same control scheme. From Higby's comments, air combat is pretty damn spot on from what he has said. The one thing that is kinda awkward is that the up and down movement from the mouse is not inverted by default (I am assuming we can change that). Beyond me why inverted is not the default...
The unlocks for the air vehicles are gonna play a huge roll in air combat. No one has tested that out yet (i think).
Well, hopefully next week we get to test out the sidegrades for everything. I'm sure they will tweak and change the stats on things several times before final release based on our feedback.
Old 2012-07-25, 04:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
MrMorton
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Biscuit View Post
I held off posting a thread about this some time ago, wanted to make sure this wasnt talked about before.

I Watched the current videos from various sources (both Comm. Day and the tech Tests) and read comments that piloting will be much harder and in some aspects similar to piloting a heli from BF3; havent played BF series unfortunately.

What im wondering though is the dogfighting elements for PS2.

In comparison of Planetside 1 when in a dog fight, majority of the battles boiled down getting the higher altitude, being stationary and firing. there wasnt so much of the worry of fighting gravity since Ps1 aircraft can simply just hover with no effort involved.

In Ps2 however, their seems to be alot of movement in the air, very few aircraft that move in low speed usually seems to be attacking ground troops. outside of that, Im assuming the lack of moving and maneuvers is a death sentence in the air due to air vehicles now having alot less armor when taken out, the customization of swapping into Air-2-Air missles, and notable moments of banking hard to the left or right when moving at a high speed.

Will the same core Ps1 dog fighting tactics be valid in ps2?
Will the Ps1 tactics still be used, but added over into Ps2?
or Will dogfighting in Ps2 will be night and day compared to Ps1?

I made a thread speculating about this a while ago.

basically i see hovering as being a death sentence to any faction besides NC because the ttk's seem pretty darn fast.

As far as the tactics I hope to see (more like an actual flight game) I outlined them over here
Old 2012-07-25, 05:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Rodel
Sergeant

Originally Posted by maradine View Post
The three primary axes of rotation are distinct. You can roll, yaw, and pitch separately. You also have a station-keeping VTOL drive that operates at low airspeeds at varying levels of effectiveness in the different aircraft. All of the above can be mapped wherever you want.

When NDA lifts I'll be filling up the forums with flight model garbage, rest assured.
Thank you sooooo much and that sounds like fun.
Old 2012-07-25, 05:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Reizod
Contributor
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by MrMorton View Post
I made a thread speculating about this a while ago.

basically i see hovering as being a death sentence to any faction besides NC because the ttk's seem pretty darn fast.

As far as the tactics I hope to see (more like an actual flight game) I outlined them over here
I disagree, as you still have to consider what the sidegrades will do for aircraft. All of those things have NOT been available/tested yet. There may be something that gives more armor, shields, etc. that buys you time for hovering.

If not, then it will be crazy once everyone starts getting into the game as it will be impossible to fly anywhere. Long term wise, combining a massive amount of players in a game like this with fast ttk's DON'T mix. It's never been done before, and we are the genie pigs for it.

Having faith in the Devs, I foresee them compensating for this via sidegrades.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion