New continents - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: MEDIC!!!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-24, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Re: New continents

Originally Posted by Whiteagle View Post
...So a Stargate Style Cutscene, probably something like this:
Stargate SG-1 Wormhole (Season 8+) - YouTube
Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
I think that as soon as they have the lattice system down, both in the sense that picking it over the hex system and having it done the way they want, we will be seeing more conts faster.
Cant wait to see that lattice flow from cont to cont.

Old 2013-05-24, 02:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
AThreatToYou
Major

Originally Posted by capiqu View Post
It seems to me that the vast majority of players look forward to the Addition of new continents more than anything else.
I look forward to more continents or battle islands and an intercontinental lattice, where each faction has only one "home' instead of one on each continent.
Old 2013-05-24, 02:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
RykerStruvian
Staff Sergeant

Now that I think about it, the lattice system is probably why it is taking forever for the new continents to come out. If the dev team had to alter Indar, they probably have to alter Esamir/Amerish, which probably pulls resources away from focusing in new content generation.

Not only that but don't forget about interlink facilities, hackable bridges, etc. All these things have to be working. There are just so many moving parts and each department probably has to be on the same development stage. So everything from brainstorming ideas and really getting those ideas into a virtual, tangible form is probably what is taking so long.

And even then things get stretched out further. For instance, those bridges are supposed to be hacked by infiltrators. Well, there you go, someone needs to work on the coding for that too :P Just so many variables, I can't even imagine how hard it is to get everything done 'on time' lol.

Last edited by RykerStruvian; 2013-05-24 at 02:18 PM.
Old 2013-05-24, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Shogun
Contributor
General

i hope, they are not modeling the new conts, using the old open basedesign that needs to be changed. when we finally convince the devs that spawns in little open containers are a no go, they would have to redo too much and it will take forever.

so a meaningful basedesign with tactical value for defenders should be even a higher priority.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2013-05-24, 02:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

What continent would you guys like to see next after Hossin and Searhurs? Maybe Cyssor which I guess could be the closest thing to a water continent since its broken up into Islands.

Old 2013-05-24, 02:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
AThreatToYou
Major

Cyssor. By that time, hopefully we have underground [facility] spawns and destructible spawn tubes with no spawn-room shield.
Old 2013-05-24, 02:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
RykerStruvian
Staff Sergeant

I really liked Ceryshen. It had some nice, diverse geography which was pretty hazardous to move around on the ground. I would really like to see Solsar too though.

I would like to see some more expansion though on the Vanu, the aliens at least. Maybe something more alien, like a map with a Vanu wreckage of some sort. I just hate how PS1/2 have aliens without any real evidence of them.
Old 2013-05-24, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Whiteagle
Major

Originally Posted by capiqu View Post
Exactly, each warpgate can have a distinct animation.
Well if it's just some footage that plays in a loop while your loading it shouldn't be that hard to do, it'd basically be the same thing they did with the old new player intro scene.

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
I think that as soon as they have the lattice system down, both in the sense picking it over the hex system and having it done the way they want, we will be seeing more conts faster.
Atm. it seems like it's the lattice system that is holding the conts back.
I hope so, since it really shouldn't be that hard to make the center of the Warpgate into what is basically a giant Teleporter beam, unless they are having trouble doing it with Vehicles...

...Speaking of, what would you guys think of Intercontinental Ocean Travel if it was set up as a series of maps you transitioned between by traveling past the boarder of one to be rezzed into corresponding position on another?
It wouldn't be seemless, more like the current Out of Bounds areas would be giant vehicle versions of the Teleporter pods we have now for Infantry.
Old 2013-05-24, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Remember they said that they are gonna build oshur islands for mlg to fight on.

My hope is they do the quality of life gu10 and then make new land (Hossin) the priority

Old 2013-05-24, 03:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
i hope the devs rework the foodhold concept and go on to working warpgates and maybe homeconts or (forgive the ps1 term) sanctuaries.
Now that we have the lattice back, I'm willing to believe that anything's possible. I just hope they can implement everything in time, and then accompany it with an advertising blitz.
Old 2013-05-24, 03:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Ruffdog View Post
Remember they said that they are gonna build oshur islands for mlg to fight on.

My hope is they do the quality of life gu10 and then make new land (Hossin) the priority
Seems to be lining up to be debuted at SoE live. Which I remember back in November/December we were hoping was when Searhus would be debuted.
Old 2013-05-24, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by RykerStruvian View Post
Now that I think about it, the lattice system is probably why it is taking forever for the new continents to come out. If the dev team had to alter Indar, they probably have to alter Esamir/Amerish, which probably pulls resources away from focusing in new content generation.

Not only that but don't forget about interlink facilities, hackable bridges, etc. All these things have to be working. There are just so many moving parts and each department probably has to be on the same development stage. So everything from brainstorming ideas and really getting those ideas into a virtual, tangible form is probably what is taking so long.

And even then things get stretched out further. For instance, those bridges are supposed to be hacked by infiltrators. Well, there you go, someone needs to work on the coding for that too :P Just so many variables, I can't even imagine how hard it is to get everything done 'on time' lol.
The devs have said that the lattice and other defensibility issues are the reason Hossin is delayed. They still seem to be learning lessons on cont design.

They've also said that they don't think that Esamir or Amerish will need much alteration compared to Indar.

Of course, because they're been hand-crafted they would take a long time anyway. So another 2 years before the number of continents reach 8? Will that happen? I don't know.
Old 2013-05-25, 05:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
bpostal
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Inter-Continental lattice is where it's at. What we've got on Indar is great but it's only the start.

Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
Old 2013-05-25, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
CrimsonTemplar
Staff Sergeant

From the May Edition of PC Gamer UK (issue 252, if you want to find it), some interesting info was given in regards to continents. Infantry are going to 'have the edge' on Hossin, since large parts of it are dense with jungle, swamps and restricted pathways with low fog in many areas.

However to quote the article:

'After Hossin comes Oshur, a continent that SOE are billing as a direct throwback to the first Planetside. "The idea was to make it follow the roadmap of [the original] as much as possible", Higby says. "The roads are in the same locations, facilities are roughly in the same locations so it plays very similarly. Interesting just to see how that would feel, to take a Planetside-oriented map and put it into Planetside 2. It seemed like a fun experiment.'
So it seems we'll see Old Oshur as a new continent sooner and more importantly, in a similar form to the Original. There's also some nice concept art of Oshur in the magazine as well. So it's already in the works, by the sound of things.

During this time, between the release of Hossin and the upcoming continents Oshur and Searhus, we will also see 'a trio of new vehicles', specifically the Empire specific buggies/jeeps. The TR Marauder, The NC Enforcer and the VS Thresher. Also the article details upcoming changes to facility bonuses and territory connections.

Last edited by CrimsonTemplar; 2013-05-25 at 08:18 AM.
Old 2013-05-25, 08:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
The devs have said that the lattice and other defensibility issues are the reason Hossin is delayed. They still seem to be learning lessons on cont design.

They've also said that they don't think that Esamir or Amerish will need much alteration compared to Indar.

Of course, because they're been hand-crafted they would take a long time anyway. So another 2 years before the number of continents reach 8? Will that happen? I don't know.
Well I was completely wring about not changing Esamir much!

I hope these new continents happen as quickly as the devs can do them and they explore whatever they can to speed up their production.

There's a lot to be said for including cookie cutter bases even more. The good think is playability, because they are familiar you know where stuff is without searching for it...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion