Spec Ops vs Shocktroops - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Drug donations are accepted.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-14, 08:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Re: Spec Ops vs Shocktroops

Originally Posted by Scorpion Six View Post
Hey guys I keep reading in this post about "if spec ops game play comes back". ITS HERE MAN! Believe me when I say this, the spec ops guys in my outfit have saved the day several times since their training ended and they started legit ops with the outfit.
Please please please dont think that there are no spec ops opportunities out there. Come to Mattherson, speak with our outfit lead DATHNIC. Ask him about the Ghost squad. He doesnt know everything but he HAS seen the results from the training we do. I may even be open to training other outfits Spec Ops squads.
We use ONLY use 6 guys btw and we have decisively affected an enemy engagement several times over. IT CAN BE DONE.

Scorpion Six (Covenant - in game Mattherson)
What is generally included in your activities, may I ask?

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-01-14, 08:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Dkamanus
Master Sergeant

Being the guy questioning the mathematics, I play both roles, depending on the situation. Spec ops in this case is based on the mechanics of the Hex system. As one day, we were going against the VS in Indar. Spec ops teams know how to demolish an entire base, and can cap and secure it in under 3 minutes in this game. Biolabs are the easiest to do.

IN that case, my 6 guys were facing resistance there as well, but since I tought them that the important stuff around a biolab to grab is the generator and the SCU, they went in, capped all bases around the biolab and then started to go on to the generator and SCU, having the points for last.

Recovery teams went after the installation and they held it against them. This "ghost" capping had a strategic value, to make our mainlines concentrate back on Mani, all the while they were surrounded by TR, which had their main zerg in Freyr and the rest of my squad was on Andvari.

People say Ghostcapping sucks, but mostly because people don't use it in their favor. Strategically, in a continent PoV, doing this kind of stuff is what pushed the frontline back towards the adversaries corner of the map, giving us breathing room in our corner for people to leave Freyr Amp and divide the zerg towards Mani as well. Once the zerg is divided, it falls on freyr and the defenders go for the offensive, taking everything around Mani and reinforcing it.

Hell, I used 1 squad to secure 6 territories in Indar for us one time. 3 Staying in Regent Rock (cause I know it's the main base that VS will try to defend with their hearts in order to not allow us to move in more into their territory), while the rest (another 9) were "ghost" capping Snake Ravine, NS Research lab, Xenotech labs, crossroads and Broken Arch.

We held a good portion of the VS map with 12 guys, because we insisted in maintaining these places, which were being back capped by 2 VS guys at a time. When my guys were hit by a enemy platoon, they fell back, base by base. We were stalling them A LOT, hoping the rest of the NC was doing it's job.

Most people think when they see enemies detected, that 2 guys are inside backcapping or Ghostcapping stuff. When you send a half a squad or a full squad, this goes way past ghostcapping, and turns into strategic defense. We don't defend by numbers, but we force the attackers to go for places that need to be capped so they can continue their advance.

This is using the Hex system to your advantage, imo.
Old 2013-01-14, 08:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Scorpion Six
Private

I would love to discuss it with you, only not in an open forum.
lol this is a game and it shouldnt matter right? But its worked well for us and we are proud of our accomplishments.
Are you on Mattherson? Maybe we can set up a time to discuss it on our Teamspeak. I'll talk to the Outfit lead about it.

Six
Old 2013-01-14, 08:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Scorpion Six View Post
I would love to discuss it with you, only not in an open forum.
lol this is a game and it shouldnt matter right? But its worked well for us and we are proud of our accomplishments.
Are you on Mattherson? Maybe we can set up a time to discuss it on our Teamspeak. I'll talk to the Outfit lead about it.

Six
No need, I'm from Miller's MercenaryS and we do our job just fine. The problem is - the battlefield in PS2 is very dynamic and thus there's no real value to most of what Spec Ops do. Holding a gen in PS1 could result in taking a base that wouldn't be capped back sometimes even for days. In PS2 taking a base does not have that time value, since it WILL be retaken in a matter of hours.

This also goes to Dkamanus

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2013-01-14, 09:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Dkamanus
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
No need, I'm from Miller's MercenaryS and we do our job just fine. The problem is - the battlefield in PS2 is very dynamic and thus there's no real value to most of what Spec Ops do. Holding a gen in PS1 could result in taking a base that wouldn't be capped back sometimes even for days. In PS2 taking a base does not have that time value, since it WILL be retaken in a matter of hours.

This also goes to Dkamanus
Yes, thats true, but the beauty of it is to see your actions resulting in a continent lock. It was hilarious yesterday, after we lost some bases on Esamir, that we went back to Freyr Amp Station. I ordered my guys to man ALL AA on the eastern side of the base and point all guns towards East (Aurora Labs).

We were facing a HUGE air zerg, and we totally wrecked them. They weren't expecting to get wrecked so easily, since we organized our defense. 18 man. It's not spec ops, neither shocktroopers, but small squads DO make a difference if the members (AND MOST IMPORTANTLY, the Squad/Platoon/Outfit leader) knows how to work with what he's got.

We defended it for quite a while until a Armour Zerg hit us from the south (and we fought valiantly, but they had 2 infantry man for each guy that I had), and we still gave em a huge headache. The problem is that people don't heed the requests on command, nor ask how the situations in those locations are.

I keep asking for reinforcements to no avail, then we were eventually zerged. But we stood for quite sometime, first facing a mix of Armour and Air, then a Air zerg, then finally an armour zerg from Eisa, all the while desperately asking for help.

I consider ourselves as Commandos (Yes, Comando Brasil), since we excel in combat situations a less "trained" player would rather fail. We've done amazing station defense with less numbers than the enemy (combine with some extra guys from other outfits), and we prevailed. It all boils down to situational awereness from the players and proactive thinking.
Old 2013-01-14, 09:25 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Scorpion Six
Private

@ Newsith
I apologize if I came across as you needing training. Im sure your outfit does a great job!
I do think that alot of folks idea of spec ops in PS2 is skewed. Sending a 5-6 man team in to hold a gen in todays environment is just plain suicide.
I want to go into more detail about what we do and how it affects the outcome of engagments but I just don't want to do it here.
I cant stress enough how effective a 6 man squad with the proper loadout and class composition can be. They can even break an armor column. We've done it.
Our Spec Ops volunteers have to pass a quick entry test before they become Candidates. Once they are Candidates they begin their training which culminates in a Command Demonstration to become certified. Once certified they are authorized to wear the Ghost patch and emblem on their vehicles and participate in Spec Ops operations. (we take this training very seriously).

Six
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion