Quick Knife - Is it really the best option? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: wot ya mean theres no BFG?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What type of Quick-Melee attack do you prefer?
Rifle-Bash -I prefer it to be changed to something a bit more basic and natural. 114 31.58%
Quick-Knife- I prefer it to stay like it is like typical modern shooters. 42 11.63%
I don't want to see a quick-melee at all. Equip your knife to do battle! 205 56.79%
Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-12, 05:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Mechzz
Major

Re: Quick Knife - Is it really the best option?

Quick-knife from nowhere is a lame mechanic.

It should be a button press to equip and another to slash. And no teleporting!

I also like the bayonet idea, that could be the auto-attack mode if you press fire with an empty magazine.
Old 2012-06-12, 05:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
WNxThentar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Death2All View Post
Why are people so adamant on incorporating melee into shooter games? Sometimes I feel alone with my hatred for melee.
I don't mind the idea of it for cloakers and if you are out of ammo. Personally a silenced weapon mod would be nice for a cloaker, and maybe not having to grunt when jumping all the time.
Old 2012-06-12, 05:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
WNxThentar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Alanim View Post
Melee is added for those very awkward moments when either one player is out of ammo in both guns or BOTH players are out of ammo, when that happens if you don't have melee the best you can do is look at each other and walk away, melee prevents that.

Oh, and for when both players are reloading aswell.
It is also useful under water where weapons can't fire.
Old 2012-06-12, 05:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Mechzz
Major

Originally Posted by WNxThentar View Post
I don't mind the idea of it for cloakers and if you are out of ammo. Personally a silenced weapon mod would be nice for a cloaker, and maybe not having to grunt when jumping all the time.
Yeah, on the grunting it sounds like they hired female tennis professionals to do the voice acting for jumping cloakers
Old 2012-06-12, 05:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
WNxThentar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by elfailo View Post
Anyone who supports quick knives needs to be deported to Australia.
How is that bad? I'm an American with dual citizenship living in Australia. The economy over here is good. The women are gorgeous. Sure we pay more for some computer games but I can live with that given the rest of the life style
Old 2012-06-12, 05:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
WVoneseven
Corporal

Equipable Knife is how it should be done.... like HL or TF2 or anything better than the cod gen quickknife
Old 2012-06-12, 06:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
Otleaz
Second Lieutenant

Only reason to have melee is so you don't have that awkward moment where you can't do anything when out of ammo. I wouldn't mind seeing melee, just make it useless.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
As you can see, what I'm more concerned on, is not the quick-melee, but the quick-KNIFE.

Nitpicky? A bit, but I think my problems are a bit grounded. Quick-Knife is nothing but a terrible copy-cat of modern games. Come on devs, you don't have to be original, but don't do THIS! There should be a lot more out there that can make it fit in more.

The solution:

Rather than a quick knife, how about a rifle-bash? It works much more fluidly, the weapon doesn't leave the screen, you can get the attack in the same time frame, but it doesn't have to go as far, so it looks less rushed.

Not only does it take care of the quick-melee, but it allows the knife to be used in much more damaging and stealthy roles - equipped like a main weapon. Sure, it might be doing it like PS1, but it makes the knife a much hardier weapon, and then there's the case of the knife-alt fire, to increase damage.

Finally, if you devs want to see a knife in quick-melee, JUST USE A BAYONET! Effective, brutal, AND logical. Just make it a mod.

Well that's my two cents on this minor issue.

What do you guys think?
I like the quick knife tbh... rifle bash would be cool also however what about those times you don't have a rifle but a pistol, heal-gun, rocket launcher or something else...

So I would go for the following scheme:

1. IF equipped with heavy weapons like MCG or rocket launcher THEN no quick melee is available at all

2. IF equipped with rifle (SMG or assault or carbine) THEN quick melee should be rifle butt bash

3. IF equipped with pistol or other small utility tool THEN quick melee should be knife but knife stays equipped after the first quick blow

Also it could be done that the default quick melee is rifle butt bash and quick knife is certifiable later on if you wish. I won't vote for now but I'm definitely pro-quick melee of some sort as long as the damage dealt by it isn't unreasonable..

Last edited by Immigrant; 2012-06-12 at 06:12 AM.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
WNxThentar
Sergeant

Originally Posted by therandomone View Post
Personally, I'm against the rifle bash because I love the feeling of successfully bringing a knife to a gun fight....
... I can tell you from being a US Marine for 6 years that anywhere I can kill you with a knife I can kill you faster and easier with a pistol. I can also tell you that in hand to hand combat unless they have no idea you are there your chance for a one stab kill is greatly reduced. I've been trained for combat with my K-Bar but I'd never pick it over a silenced weapon for a stealth kill. If stealth isn't needed I'd definitely not even think about pulling out my K-Bar and I'd put at least 3 rounds from my M1911 into my target.

Don't get me wrong. I like to play with my K-Bar and I was very good with it. Could reliably stick it in a tree 15 feet away and I could even juggle it flipping in around and I've never had anything but a nick from doing tricks . Looked very cool but again...not my preferred method of combat.

Being a trained as an A gunner for a M60E3 I had the choice of the M1911 or the M9. I picked the M1911. Less rounds in the clip but changing clips was fast and I'd rather hit a target 10 feet away with a few .45cal then a bunch of 9mm rounds. That was just my preference tho. And if I was out of ammo in my M60E3 and my M1911 would I go for my K-Bar? I'd probably just swing my machine gun at them.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
SztEltviz
Sergeant

Douglas Adams: Salmon of Doubt
The journey took about an hour, streaking effortlessly over the dark
and gleaming sea under a brilliant sun. Smaller lush green islands slid past us
in the distance. I watched the long wake of water folding back into the sea
behind us, sipped at my champagne, and thought of an old bridge that I know
in Sturminster Newton in Dorset. It still has a cast-iron notice bolted to it hat
warns anybody thinking of damaging or defacing the bridge in any way that
the penalty is transportation. To Australia. Now, Sturminster Newton is a
lovely town, but it astonishes me that the bridge is still standing.

Jane, who is much better at reading guide books than I am (I always read
them on the way back to see what I missed, it’s often quite a shock),
discovered something wonderful in the book she was reading. Did I know,
she asked, that Brisbane was originally founded as a penal colony for
convicts who committed new offences after they had arrived in Australia?

I spent a good half hour enjoying this single piece of information. It was
wonderful. There we British sat, poor grey sodden creatures, huddling under
our grey northern sky that seeped like a rancid dish cloth, busy sending
those we wished to punish most severely to sit in bright sunlight on the
coast of the Tasman Sea at the southern tip of the Great Barrier Reef and
maybe do some surfing too. No wonder the Australians have a particular kind
of smile that they reserve exclusively for use on the British.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:23 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
SaeS
Private

I wouldn't mind if the knife would be a 1-hit kill but only from behind (no MAXes) and reduced dmg from side/front. It would bring a nice little stealthy option for people (mostly infs) and because infs aren't gonna be fully invisible, I don't see that much of a problem with it. I just wouldn't want to see some CoD panic-knifing, I think that's just silly. Equip knife-->stabby stabby.

If you're not aware what's happening 6feet around you, you deserve to get knifed, it's just that you will have to get in touch range to be able to pull off that knife kill. Usually if you get knifed, you probably did something wrong or were a little sloppy. Take that moment with you and learn from it...

Okeyh, maybe that last one was a little trollish but I think you get the idea

Cheers~
Old 2012-06-12, 06:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
Dart
Second Lieutenant

Quick knife is the most jarring thing currently in the game!
Old 2012-06-12, 06:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Sledgecrushr
Colonel

It seems that when it comes to melee that BF3 is the golden standard and thats not necessarily what I want. I want a mass effect 3 style energy sword that is created out of tour right gauntlet. To do a quick attack you merely swing your rifle out of the way with your left hand and think about creating your energy weapon. This should be where melee ends up at, beautiful fast and simple to use. Because here in the future, all things are possible through sci fi.
Old 2012-06-12, 06:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Ductape
Private

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
For those of you who have seen the E3 demo, you have seen that currently there is a quick knife in the game, frequently ending up used instead of hacking. Now, most likely quick knifing isn't an insta kill, but a damaging attack. Never the less, is a quick knife a very good thing to have? The very nature of a quick-knife, is a feeling of a rushed game with overly unnatural character reaction. It seems like a teleporting knife with such a fast swing with a weapon that was not in the hand before. Really, what it looks like, is the weapon transforming into the knife and back. It feels unnatural.

As you can see, what I'm more concerned on, is not the quick-melee, but the quick-KNIFE.

Nitpicky? A bit, but I think my problems are a bit grounded. Quick-Knife is nothing but a terrible copy-cat of modern games. Come on devs, you don't have to be original, but don't do THIS! There should be a lot more out there that can make it fit in more.

The solution:

Rather than a quick knife, how about a rifle-bash? It works much more fluidly, the weapon doesn't leave the screen, you can get the attack in the same time frame, but it doesn't have to go as far, so it looks less rushed.

Not only does it take care of the quick-melee, but it allows the knife to be used in much more damaging and stealthy roles - equipped like a main weapon. Sure, it might be doing it like PS1, but it makes the knife a much hardier weapon, and then there's the case of the knife-alt fire, to increase damage.

Finally, if you devs want to see a knife in quick-melee, JUST USE A BAYONET! Effective, brutal, AND logical. Just make it a mod.

Well that's my two cents on this minor issue.

What do you guys think?
Took my words from me. I would much rather see a swift face smash with a rifle than the insta-knife so prevalent in modern games.
Old 2012-06-12, 08:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
KILLFACE
Sergeant

We don't want their sissy kind here mate. Quick Knifers need to .

I used to often hunt with a knife n camo on BF2142. Was nearly to the point where I could go a round without dying and get 10-20 kills. Espescially on the lower populated srvrs where there was a bit of room to move. And I'm strongly opposed to them making Knives noob friendly. It's meant to be a skill based weapon. Quick Knifing is for sissy's that run across someone with no notice and click the knife button. I'll encode some of the shenanigans I used to get up to on 2142 n put it on Photobucket(prefer it to Youtube because I can get pictures, gifs n videos all on the same thing). Knifing can be a lot of fun. And also very underestimated; was doing 1v1 and went 10-0 against some dude with a knife who was complaining and saying I should pull out a gun. So I did... Then I went 20-0 against him. He said he was very uncomfortable that a man that could ruin his day like that was simply toying with him.

Last edited by KILLFACE; 2012-06-12 at 08:54 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion