Vehicle Hacking is now Possible - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Where playing Dungeons and Dragons isn't frowned upon.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-11-13, 06:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: Vehicle Hacking is now Possible

Originally Posted by AThreatToYou View Post
You're remembering it right, or at least mostly right..

They had a technical limitation behind hacking and crewed MBTs because of whatrather on the server/client not allowing a player to use something they don't have pre-attributed to their character.
It's good to see that my memory hadn't completely failed me. Many thanks for the more detailed explanation as to what the issues were

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-11-13, 06:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Kalee J
Sergeant

It would be a nice feature if it's technically possible to add it to the game. I have fun memoires in PS1 of cloaking into an enemy held court yard at a base hacking their idle tanks and then wreaking havoc on all near me as the MBT suddenly turned hostlie on them.
Old 2013-11-13, 07:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

Yeah, we've got a ton of people here who support this but we need more.

Vehicle hacking should definitely be in this game.
Old 2013-11-13, 07:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
MrMak
Sergeant Major

So is this the aniversary suprise feature they didnt have resources before that wa mentioned in a thread a while bacK?
Old 2013-11-13, 08:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Calista
Second Lieutenant

They also need the REK (or whatever PS2 re-imagined the name to be) to have a colored beam when hacking. I used to sit in my MBT in PS1 in third person and see this blue beam out of nowhere and that was the only indication you were being jacked. Hop out before hack goes through and kill the guy. Made for an interesting dynamic back in the day and would be fun in this version as well.
Old 2013-11-13, 08:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Calista View Post
They also need the REK (or whatever PS2 re-imagined the name to be) to have a colored beam when hacking. I used to sit in my MBT in PS1 in third person and see this blue beam out of nowhere and that was the only indication you were being jacked. Hop out before hack goes through and kill the guy. Made for an interesting dynamic back in the day and would be fun in this version as well.
That would be ideal but it wouldn't fit with the style of other hacking type interactions. I would expect a hacker would simply get a 'E' prompt.

However, as a notification perhaps a low key background sound could be played which would alert an 'alert' player.

I know this is a PS1 thing and some people will think 'typical vet, wants to reinvent a dead game' but in reality it's not that it's more that it adds to tactical side of things in ways that simply adding another gun doesn't.

Also, squad deploying has been nerfed and that sounds like an indirect buff to sunderers so for this would give hacking certed infils a new mission, ie to detect and hack enemy sunderers.
Old 2013-11-13, 08:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #22
libbmaster
Private

I think the real question here is: Does getting a meaningful anti-tank ability balance out not being able to OHK people past 150 meters?
Old 2013-11-13, 08:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #23
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by HereticusXZ View Post
I like the challenge it brings but I can't help but fear for Deployed Sundys and Anchored Prowlers...

I hope we get to keep the vehicle we steal and that the victim gets refunded on resources or on the cool-down timer.

It would be cool to also have a Defensive Slot Counter-Hacking cert that prevents hacking at the cost of more important defensive options, gives vehicle users a chance against a undetected Infiltrator.
you are going to have prox radar that can detect infiltrators, i think thats a pretty good counter.
Old 2013-11-13, 09:03 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Originally Posted by Calista View Post
That would be cool and useful. "Staring really hard" at something to hack it is just lazy. And that you can still aim and shoot at other people while doing it is just silly.
Old 2013-11-13, 09:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by libbmaster View Post
I think the real question here is: Does getting a meaningful anti-tank ability balance out not being able to OHK people past 150 meters?
I would take hacking vehicles over long range sniping any day, but thats just me
Old 2013-11-13, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
GeoGnome
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by libbmaster View Post
I would say so, yes.
Old 2013-11-13, 12:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Taramafor
Sergeant Major

Here's the problem. 3rd person camera. You're going to see the hacker and you're not going to sit still.

Last edited by Taramafor; 2013-11-13 at 05:14 PM.
Old 2013-11-13, 12:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
kubacheski
Staff Sergeant

IIRC, the problems were both in certs and models. Due to the technical limitation of the certification requirements for cross-faction weaponry and vehicles, they didn't even bother to make skins for a hacked vechicle. It may very well be the camo changes that someone mentioned that allow for this. I'm still curious how they're going to handle the certification issues. Do you have to cert up in other factions specific vehicles/weapons? This wasnt' an issue in PS1 as the certification were "group" based so if you certed in Tanks, you could drive others factions tanks once hacked.

And with no perm-invis, hacking is still going to be a very dangerous prospect. A prox radar might be a good counter, but in the grand scheme of things does that make for a good trade-off depending on what slot it goes in? And will that same prox radar slot be a balanced trade-off across all vehicles?

Oh, also, I don't believe it's the anniversary surprise as I don't recall ever being able to hack. They said the surprise was something that was in beta.

And it's going to be a rough time getting this info out to the general population. How many infils will die to friendly fire while hacking and their own faction is trying to blast the crap out of it. (darn exp whores)

Last edited by kubacheski; 2013-11-13 at 12:13 PM.
Old 2013-11-13, 12:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by Taramafor View Post
He's the problem. 3rd person camera. You're going to see the hacker and you're not going to sit still.
I presume you're talking about if you're a driver in a vehicle that is currently being hacked.

Well, it's not a problem really, or necessarily. It depends on how noticeable it was, for instance can the hacker hack while cloaked or not? I'd say yes cloaked should be allowed but there should also be some kind of indicator so that a vehicle driver can see or hear so that it they are paying attention they can take action.

Hacking can be very powerful for a skilled and patient cloaker as we saw in ps1.
Old 2013-11-13, 12:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
maradine
Contributor
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
Hmm. Wouldn't that also mean that 3 man crewed MBTs are possible now.
The game's written in a Turing-complete language - anything's possible.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion