Feedback on Spotting for Higby - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Still with a zero percent graduation rate!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-01-10, 04:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Eliphas
Private

Re: Feedback on Spotting for Higby

Originally Posted by SexyTRex View Post
I do feel like spotting should be a lot less for regular soldiers and greatly increased for infiltrators and scout equipment. While I use the IFF device a bit it's not terribly effective since the minimap is a jumbled mess.
Agreed.
Old 2013-01-10, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

I agree, removing spotting would be an improvement. I have used Q spam a lot in the past for easily finding targets and sharing that info with friendlies. Since the change that adds the voice I never use it as an Infiltrator when I'm away from friendlies as it just gives my presence away to nearby enemies. So, if as some other posters suggest it ought to be a mostly Infiltrator tool, I would say at present it is least useful to the Infiltrator class and probably most useful to long range Vehicle AE weapons farming Infantry.
Old 2013-01-10, 05:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
MaxDamage
Sergeant Major

OP is nothing but QQ..

..QQQQQQQQ

I enjoy spotting, I think it's a positive feature and is a means for people to contribute to wider teamplay.
If Q only spotted for the individual then I would say ditch it, but since solo farmers risk losing their kill by spotting, and both sides have access to it, it seems only beneficial to me.

I can't understand why someone would have a serious problem with it other than infiltrators.

Last edited by MaxDamage; 2013-01-10 at 05:48 PM.
Old 2013-01-10, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Eggy
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Artesia View Post
A. make spotting only spot for players nearby, doritos shouldn't show up for someone 1km away

B. make it temporary. If you haven't been spotted in several minutes or you travel far enough, you should have your dorito removed

C. If you fire a weapon it should attempt to auto-spot.

D. spotting should show squad mates direction.

All of the above could be certed/increased by cert ie increased spotting time/range
B, C and D are how spotting allready works.
If your not shot, or spotted again with just a few seconds your dorito goes.

Auto spotting is affected by weapon attatchments, muzzle flash and weapon sound. Or did you mean auto-spot the targets you shoot at?

Direction is shown (for infantry) by the spotted icon on the radar being an arrow rather than a dot. You can press "H" to see a bigger radar and thus more spotted targets. This is also an indication of "freshness" of the spot. An arrow is a live, moving visible target and a dot is where something was a few seconds ago. This is it least how I have been unsing the radar.

If you see something on the radar and it isnt moving then there is large chance its a radar ghost due to a bug, or the cloaker tool specificaly designed to add ghosts.

The only thing I would change about spotting is making it so that you cant spot from the bomber slot of a liberator. The rest of the current system I think is fine.

Last edited by Eggy; 2013-01-10 at 05:59 PM.
Old 2013-01-10, 06:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
SeraphC
Sergeant

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
spotting is utterly useless as it stands. id just remove it and be done with the problem.
It's really not. It lets someone with an overview of the field pass on positions to team mates. I think it's a really useful and interesting feature and it's fine the way it is. It's one of the few features that actually give us a sense past the simple visual.
Just because you don't use it and/or it doesn't fit your play style does not mean it's useless.

It would be ridiculous without the call out, but with it it's a solid feature.

Last edited by SeraphC; 2013-01-10 at 06:04 PM.
Old 2013-01-10, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
MyOdessa
Private

I find spotting useful, it allows me to have easier target and if I miss or die, other friendlies can see enemy better and take care of him.

On the other hand, if Higby wants to create PS2 servers in hardcore mode i.e. no spotting, no ammo counter, no health regeneration, I am all for it.

Last edited by MyOdessa; 2013-01-10 at 06:12 PM.
Old 2013-01-10, 06:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Bottom line in all this is there is way too much player crutch IFF type mechanics in PS2.

If you really wanted to make scouting and teamwork mean something, you'd get rid of all this Q spam and radar shit. A real scout would be a player that sneaks around providing info on the enemy by reporting the info verbally through his outfit chain of command.
Old 2013-01-10, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Phantomdestiny View Post
we did speak about photographic spotting back in the day in the idea vault ; not sure if people remember
I'm fine with spotting as is, but that would be an excellent way to refine it.

So would a spotting cert tree for infiltrators. Maybe they could spot moving targets for longer and from farther away, and if you bought the sweet 1000-cert upgrade you could REVEAL ERRYBODY ERRYWHERE like CR5's back in the day.

There has to be *some* role for reconnaissance, after all.
Old 2013-01-10, 06:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
ShadetheDruid
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Helwyr View Post
If you really wanted to make scouting and teamwork mean something, you'd get rid of all this Q spam and radar shit. A real scout would be a player that sneaks around providing info on the enemy by reporting the info verbally through his outfit chain of command.
That might help scouting and teamwork for outfits. Screw everyone else, I guess?
Old 2013-01-10, 06:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Sunrock
Major

Originally Posted by ringring View Post
As requested via tweet.

Personally I would remove it.

a) I never spot myself simply because I play left-handed with left on mouse and right on cursor keys. I have to rebind important keys near to the cursors for quick access and spotting comes fairly low down the list after TS, 'g', 'f', up, down and so on.
b) if there is ever a random in my tanks I often hear , enemy XXXXX spotted, but I never see what he's referring to.
c) if I ever do see a red dot on the map and investigate it there is nothing there.

In short, I can't use it in a practical sense and I don't find it useful when other people do.

Maybe some kind of radar may be needed, especially on amp to boost defence, but I'd hesitate to recommend something.
So you want to remove spotting because:

A) You're lazy
B) You suck
C) A read dot on the mini map is not a spotted enemy. A red triangle on the mini map is a spotted enemy. So you want to remove it because you failed to understand the game mechanics of spotting?

Ok

PS: Read dots are enemies detected by radar or are revealed because there weapons making to much noise.

Last edited by Sunrock; 2013-01-10 at 06:31 PM.
Old 2013-01-10, 07:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by ShadetheDruid View Post
That might help scouting and teamwork for outfits. Screw everyone else, I guess?
I'm not in any Outfit FYI.

The fact of the matter with so much effortless IFF like Q spamming there's little need for any real player scouting. Perhaps if there was there would be a role to play in Outfits for players like me who prefer to be sneaking about alone most of the time. However, my main point is that those saying Spotting as it is in game now is some enhancement to teamwork are talking a load of nonsense. All Spotting is currently is a boost to lazy skill-less gameplay.
Old 2013-01-10, 07:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Assist
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by james View Post
The current spotting system is fine. Not much more to be said than that
This is how I feel as well, to me it's another one of the many cases where the "Don't fix it if it's not broken" mentality should prevail.

I use it, I like when enemies and allies use it.
Old 2013-01-10, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Rothnang
Major

I like the spotting system. I think people who are sprinting or firing jetpacks should spot automatically when in close proximity, since you should be able to hear them. Sneaking up on someone should require a little more actual stealth and not just making a mad dash for them while their back is turned.

The biggest improvement that I want to see to the spotting mechanic is just more things that actually utilize it. For example mortars for engineers that are capable of indirect fire, but need good spotters to show you where to shoot.
Old 2013-01-10, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

I like two ideas i saw in here, either spotting bein an infiltrator ability (to flesh that class out a bit more) or to tie it to a facility type.

Other then that i'm totally fine with spotting as it is.
Old 2013-01-10, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
kcirreda
Corporal

Easy to learn, it works and has proper incentives. Wouldn't change it.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion