Devs: Engineers Should carry Ammo packs..not LA's. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: take once a day, orally.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-06, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
MrBloodworth
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Devs: Engineers Should carry Ammo packs..not LA's.

Originally Posted by Dreamcast View Post
Medic or engineer should have it.
OR!
  1. Equipment terminals.
  2. AMS
  3. Aegis Shield Generator
  4. Looting
  5. Hacking
  6. Swapping with teammates
  7. kissing your ass goodby
Old 2012-06-06, 01:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
The Kush
Captain

I agree 100% give the ammo packs to engineers
Old 2012-06-06, 01:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
bullet
First Sergeant

So much theorycrafting, speculations, and end of the world scenarios have been popping up like crazy from these E3 vids.

-This is beta still
-Its not balanced
-Its an unorganized group of press playing
-There hasnt been any LARGE battles to test any of this stuff
-Not everyone plays the same style
-This is still beta and its unbalanced
-Read line above
-Then read it again
Old 2012-06-06, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
The Kush
Captain

Yea blood or just make it where you can drop your own ammo packs for teammates or you have to go to a terminal/galaxy. This is classic PS1, it makes you have to be smart and a good player, not just fire your rounds off like a jackass cause you have an unlimited amount. Yes the game isn't close to finished yet, and I am happy for the most part, but any chance we have to fix what I call dumbing down the game should be taken advantage of to the fullest.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Zekeen
Major

Engineers get a lot already and will always be getting more and more goodies.

Light assault has a lighter armament and armor ,and while I'm against jetpacks and ammo drop, I still say it can be broken up to more diversify the class.

Light Assault is Agile Armor, and that means one of the more frequent types. Right now they are just a bit more mobile at the expense of dieing sooner and killing slower than Heavy Assault. They need more tactical variations, like ammo drop, but make them just give up the jetpack for it. Bam, problem solved. No more ammo camping on rooftops.

Engineers just need more bigger, better, longer time to create objects. I wanna see them get other stuff than ammo. Doesn't fit nearly as well as miniature bunkers!
Old 2012-06-06, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
The Kush
Captain

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
Engineers get a lot already and will always be getting more and more goodies.

Light assault has a lighter armament and armor ,and while I'm against jetpacks and ammo drop, I still say it can be broken up to more diversify the class.

Light Assault is Agile Armor, and that means one of the more frequent types. Right now they are just a bit more mobile at the expense of dieing sooner and killing slower than Heavy Assault. They need more tactical variations, like ammo drop, but make them just give up the jetpack for it. Bam, problem solved. No more ammo camping on rooftops.

Engineers just need more bigger, better, longer time to create objects. I wanna see them get other stuff than ammo. Doesn't fit nearly as well as miniature bunkers!
Valid solution if we must dumb down the game with ammo drops.
Old 2012-06-06, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I thought they were considering giving the ammo packs to Heavy Assault. Maybe they changed their minds? I think that would be a better idea. It would separate them that much further from MAXes.

Originally Posted by Zekeen View Post
Or that. It would certainly reduce the problem of HA being too strongly equipped in addition to having an ammo pack. LA would lose mobility, but gain a powerful supportive role. I like it.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-06-06 at 01:56 PM.
Old 2012-06-06, 02:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
ThermalReaper
First Sergeant

I agree to both solutions. However I can't see which one is the better.
One on hand, there would be a reason to get an engineer other than repairing that MAX in pain(or PAYNE!)... Wait what is the role of the engineer again?
On the other hand it could be an ammo mule that supports others from the front rather than the back/flanks.

...I say give to engineer.
As for the LA Jumpjet, I say it should have two configurations like the cloak. A higher thrust for a lower time in the air, and a lower thrust for the higher time in the air.

Last edited by ThermalReaper; 2012-06-06 at 02:10 PM.
Old 2012-06-06, 02:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
I don't understand why the only class that can easily get on the roof can also sustain itself ammo wise on the roof. This is very dumb.
Dude. If a LA manages to run out of ammo while on a roof, he deserves the refill. He's the second easiest thing to kill in the game, and the roof is pretty exposed if he's doing anything worthwhile. Just about everybody will have a weapon just as capable of returning fire as his own, and is likely to be more durable.

This is a non-issue.

An Engineer parking a turret by a capture point and being able to resupply himself, though, is way worse.

And I say that as a fan of Engineers.
Old 2012-06-06, 02:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Coreldan
Colonel

I approve this message. I'd rather see ammo box as either ACE deployable or then just a seperate utility thing for the engineer.

Light Assault with ammo box just seems wrong.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-06-06, 02:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Zekeen
Major

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
Valid solution if we must dumb down the game with ammo drops.
Well, I suppose the biggest issue you have, is probably the same issue many of us have.

How Ammo Drops work.

We don't wanna see a Battlefield type ammo drop happen, where it just reloads everyone in the vicinity.

Would it be better if we turned ammo drops into something that only refills a bit of ammo for the person who picks it up. Maybe have it that you have to "use" it, to pick it up too. Also have it not refill completely, just gives you a chunk of ammo. And to top it all off, have an ammo box itself be a form of ammunition, refillable only at an equipment terminal. Maybe we should start a thread on how we want it to happen so it doesn't become the over the top ammo refill?
Old 2012-06-06, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Graywolves
General

As Bags said, the Light Assualt can jump around and reach places most people can't. Why should it be able to self-sustain itself?

If a handful of people organized as LA they could make themselves a hornet's nest and harass enemy from a superior position almost indefinitely. It's likely that the majority of areas would be bombarded by aircraft but that's something that's not even a threat to them.

At one point in the stream I saw a Light Assault escape an engagement then jumppack above the threshheld he had just came from and drop an ammo pack then wait for the enemy.

The engineer might have too much already. But it just doesn't seem to operate correctly with the LA.

What is a light, jumppacking, infantryman doing with boxes of ammo anyways?
Old 2012-06-06, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Envenom
Sergeant Major

Re: Devs: Someone else Should carry Ammo packs..not LA's.

Originally Posted by Top Sgt View Post
What are your thoughts?

After watching the video from yesterday 3 times and thinking about organized play...

Light Assault troops should be short term troops that get in quick and hard to reach places to clear the way or scout for actual hard hitting shock troops whereas they then pull back and regoup being thin skinned etc.

Giving them ammo packs however will promote lone rambo's to fly up on ridges/inaccessible areas & sit forever with unlimited ammo and just try & fire for kills. Ammo is then not being distributed to the below players near the objective who need it.

You saw even in the livstream video Max's and others needing Ammo bad and no light assaults anywhere to be found.. but medics and engineers were there at the objective.

my thought is engineer's should carry ammo to distribute to others.. not light assault.

This is not a complaint this is a discussion
The engineer role is to sit in the back and support, or, defend bases. The people using ammo are on the front lines and therefore the LA should be the one delivering the goods.
Old 2012-06-06, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Heavy Assault.
Old 2012-06-06, 03:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Haro
Master Sergeant

I like giving an additional role to light assault. I think the engineer is going to be heavy enough as is, especially if they go through with the limited schematics design.

However, while I think we need to look closer at the light assault class before we judge it, it won't hurt to brainstorm a few methods.

1. Light assault as supply point. While he is resupplying friends, he is kneeling, unable to move (except he can rotate and look around) and he can't shoot. He takes several seconds to pack and unpack his kit, has a small radius around him (maybe 5 yards?) where friendly's are gradually resupplied, the closer they are, the faster they receive ammo. Does not replenish grenades or c4 (unless, maybe upgrade? Keep the resource costs in?)

2. Drops one resupply crate. Large, doesn't move, has limited supply of ammo, can be destroyed by enemy fire. Maybe have an upgrade that allows a soldier to pack it up again, perhaps a slow regeneration rate for supplies.

3. very limited supply of ammo packs. Maybe 3-4. each pack will partially resupply a soldier's ammo supply, maybe providing a couple magazines each? Definitely no grenades then.

We could also experiment with just leaving light assault out of ammo supply, or limiting what they could get. Honestly, I think concerns about this may be over blown. Light assaults seem to have mostly shorter range, lighter weapons, and very little protection. I saw plenty of people try to hop around roofs in the demo, very few achieved any real effectiveness. Either they were picked off by heavier soldiers on the ground, ambushed by other light assaults, or killed by aircraft.

Not to mention, there's the golden rule of Planetside: everyone dies. Somehow, someone is going to notice a guy on a roof pretty quickly, and can spec out in such a way where it's easy to wipe him out. I think as long as the resupply process is limited in some way or another, this will work fine. Every class seems to have at least two different roles, combat and support, and I think that's an excellent strategy that gives each class a lot of depth.

Also, one more thing: a personal favor, and I know I'm probably asking too much: could people really stop talking about how changes are "dumbing down the game?" It's unhelpful, completely subjective, and it annoys me. It automatically puts changes in a negative perspective (deserved or not,) does nothing to promote discussion or productivity, and doesn't really call upon any rational or logical argument. Besides, its not like every gameplay facet of the original was completely intellectual, and many of these changes may actually add new depth to the game.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion