Base Backdoor: Cheap Point of Entry? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: This...this isn't real?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-01-05, 11:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
AztecWarrior
Lightbulb Collector

One MAX defending the backdoor is bad for attackers.
Two is almost impossible.
Three and above makes you go around and attack through the front.

Terran MAXes with Bursters count double when defending backdoors. There is simply nowhere to move, nowehere to evade.
The gun katas. Through analysis of thousands of recorded gunfights, the Cleric has determined that the geometric distribution of antagonists in any gun battle is a statistically predictable element. The gun kata treats the gun as a total weapon, each fluid position representing a maximum kill zone, inflicting maximum damage on the maximum number of opponents while keeping the defender clear of the statistically traditional trajectories of return fire. By the rote mastery of this art, your firing efficiency will rise by no less than 120%. The difference of a 63% increase to lethal proficiency makes the master of the gun katas an adversary not to be taken lightly.
Old 2004-01-06, 01:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
Doppler
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Rayder
I wouldn't exactly call my base "safe" if the CY is flooded with enemies. And whoever said you'll be going out alone? Besides, it's obvious you don't realise how much one guy can do, those vehicles bothering you? Grab a jammer, toss it at them, see what happens.

Those extra entrances on the top? They all lead out into the CY. Not exactly an alternate exit now is it?

Doppler, you need to shutup, sit down, and think about things before you attempt to try and make a sensible contribution to this forum, all I ever see from you is poor grammer, poor spelling, poor grasp of reality and what's in it, the lack of an imagination, the lack of comprehension. If it's not your way it's the highway. That's all I see in your posts. Go take a long trip to somewhere relaxing, and just sit down and think.
Ah yes slamming on another guys grammar, the ultimate last ditch resort of someone who cannot refute the other guys points. My points still stands, I will outline them for you.

*The backdoor is more a detractor to the defenders then a benefit,

*Ninety-five percent of all base sieges are succesfull, worse case scenario it just takes a while.

*Main battle tanks are not threatened by an number of infantry on the ground floor tossing jammers, they are squishies at worst, target practice at worst.

*A base siege in full swing will amost always have one or more enemy vehicles covering the back door, and at least one enemy ams near the back door, guaranteeing even if the friendlies try and exit, their dead meat as soon as they leave the protective confines of the base.

*This game is still majorly skewed in favor of the cult of the attack.

*Surgile Deci/Thumper will eventualy beat defenders in a war of attrition.

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2004-01-06, 08:15 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
SilverLord
Lieutenant Colonel

it isn't cheap at all, if the backdoor was cheap, wouldn't you consider an AMS to be cheap also, or 2 doors on a tower cheap? My 2 cents.

Old 2004-01-06, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Acaila
First Lieutenant

I don't see how a completely valid base entry point like the back door is "cheap". What is cheap next? Attacking at all?
Old 2004-01-06, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Doppler
Contributor
Major

I need to apologize publicly to Rayder. Its a bad thing when after a few hours sleep under your belt you read what you wrote the day before and go "Hmmmm oh i let that guy out again" So i need to apologize for the tone and the personal attack nature of my comments as that wasnt right. I still believe that base defenders have the short end of the stick, and I still believe having a backdoor on a military structure is like a screen door on a submarine.

Doppler/Galgimp-J/Hardcased

Lord give me strength of arm, will, mind, and the accuracy of shooting to preserve them all.
Old 2004-01-06, 11:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
Professor Frink
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Acaila
I don't see how a completely valid base entry point like the back door is "cheap". What is cheap next? Attacking at all?
Perhaps my choice of words in nameing this thread was poor. Calling the backdoor "cheap" seems to have offended the purists. I'm NOT suggesting they remove it. I'm merely trying to gather ideas to give defenders an extra advantage. I've played since launch & have seen defenders successfully hold off an attack only a handful of times. Whether or not that is the norm I don't know. But in my experience thats how it almost always goes down. The fight often lasts 30 min or more but is almost always won by the attackers with the high ground. I've heard people mention indoor turrets or murder holes in the ceiling. I still think that they should make it so only those w/ hacking can unlock it.
Old 2004-01-06, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Krinsath
Sergeant Major

I agree that it should be only soldiers with basic hacking that can unlock the back doors. As it stands, it can very quickly swing the battle before it even starts, which isn't exactly fair to the defenders if they're just getting started.

If they do keep the current setup, it would be nice to have a perma-motion sensor back there. Destroyable and repairable, just like the wall turrets and the like, but still there to set off an icon shaped like a door for anyone in the base. I think the problem is that in the heat of battle, a lot of people don't notice the messages about forces at the back door until it's too late to stop the flood from spreading out. The icon, when simply presented like that, might help.

Other than that, I'm not sure what you can do to boost defense when there aren't many people there (when it's most critical) that's not terribly unbalancing when you have a lot of defenders available. That's why the perma-sensor would be helpful, it relays information, is still vulnerable, and leaves it up to the defenders to respond to the threat...could also be a great way to set up an ambush.

Anyway, my thoughts on the topic.
Old 2004-01-06, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Firefly
Contributor
Major General

Maybe they should get rid of basic hacking since you can't really do shit with it. Just roll them both into one certification with 4 or 5 certs.
Old 2004-01-06, 04:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
SkunkPunk
Major

its your empires dumbass fault for having no one defend there, not SOE's

Master Of The Shunk //LOL! // [LD.] // Email // {Coming to Planetside Soon, Beware}
Old 2004-01-06, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Professor Frink
Staff Sergeant

Missed the point bud

(plus we are in the same dumbass empire)

Last edited by Professor Frink; 2004-01-06 at 05:20 PM.
Old 2004-01-06, 05:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Professor Frink
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Professor Frink
Noone is talking about having an undefended backdoor.
The words go left to right. Take it slow...
Old 2004-01-06, 10:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Deadlock
Contributor
First Lieutenant

wow, this got pissy fast...

Anyhow, backdoors are a good idea but maybe set up wrong. Perhaps the door should be up a level and a stair case type structure should have to be used to get in to alteast some of them. Or it could be reversed and you have to go down into a trench and then back up to gain access.

The way it is now, a swarm of guys can easily overpower any defense for the most part buy just swarming guys inside with weapons to fit the current situation, i.e. deci's for max's, plazma for soldiers. Constricting the path in some way would break up this stream to a more level playing field.

That with the addition of a more "hack-proof" lock would significantly add more difficulty and defense to the backdoor, which i for one would enjoy. It's gotten to common place to run in the back and trash the enemy's supplies.

Another possible fix could be some sort of back door turret system. They could be blown up just as the other turrets but would be better possitioned to take out enemies trying to come in the back.

I dont consider back door attacks to be cheap but it would be nice to not have to worry about them so much when defending. Cause really, why would a military structure have a backdoor like that? All of you that have stated that before are 100% right, its stupid when thinking realisitically.

Although, if they put in that protective dome system thats in concept, this whole disscussion could become moot.
Old 2004-01-06, 11:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
SpunkJackel
Corporal

Back door, or any part of the base for that matter, is easily defended with the right weapons. As VS you put maybe 3-4 guys at the back door in rexo's all with a lasher and 3 decis nothing is getting through that door no matter what you throw at it. Lasher spam in a narrow hallway is impossible to get by. Shit, if one or two of those guys have eng and medic that door won't be breached in a long while.

The only way a game as repeatitive as this will stay fun is with variety. And now you want to take away one of the ways I can storm a base?

Fuck that.
Old 2004-01-07, 12:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
WritheNC
First Lieutenant

I don't think the TR built these bases to be absolutely formidable because they didn't expect any sort of rebellion after 1000 years of solid rule.

You tend to get complacent because of that.

However, on the other end this planet was once colonized by a vastly superior race. If anything, the TR would have fortified every base to the absolute foundation with defenses if the Vanu ever actually came back.

But for game and balance purposes...I guess the backdoor is staying there.
Old 2004-01-07, 01:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Professor Frink
Staff Sergeant

Jesus! Who said anything about removing them? Noone noone noone.

"I'm not trying to rob you." GtheG
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion