Football - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge

Old 2011-11-08, 11:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info
Re: Football

Originally Posted by Crazyduckling View Post
Also, Penn State? Wtf is going on over there? I feel awful for all the fans and their situation. I'm not gonna pin anything on Joe Pa until I know more, but that whole situation is just really unfortunate and honestly quite sad. I don't think anyone will ever know the full story.
I read the grand jury report. It's not, um, family friendly, to say the least.
As far as JoePa goes:
He might not have broken any laws...but he's a scumbag.

Basically in 2002 (after a previous incident had the charges dropped in 1998 and no one really knows why - the DA in that case actually went missing in 2005) this Graduate assistant went to Paterno after witnessing Sandusky raping a kid in the showers of a university facility. JoePa reported it to the AD...and it was covered up.

That's the problem - he reported it to the AD...the second time it happened! YOU GO TO THE FUCKING POLICE YOU PIECE OF SHIT. The only reason you don't go further than the internal boss is if you're not interested in it getting out. It's 100% an ass-covering move.

It's just like the Catholic Church scandals. "The bishop raped a kid, lets not go to the police, lets tell the archbishop so he can brush it under the rug"
[EDIT: Obviously the GA should have gone to the police...but as a graduate student myself, you're essentially the bottom of the totem pole as far as the university is concerned, especially outside the sciences. I can't imagine it was a very secure position]

College sports are full over secrets and cover ups for players' crimes and NCAA violations, it's wouldn't surprise me if worse things were lurking out there.

In better news:
I laid a righteous smack down in fantasy this week. 160 to 100 (we're PPR, so there's more points in general). 7-2 baby.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2011-11-08 at 11:12 PM.
Old 2011-11-09, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

What ever happened at Penn State or any other university, with the wrongfully or justifiably accused, all this media whoring just needs to stop. I don't watch ESPN waiting for the next scandal to pop up. Pass that shit onto Fox News or something. It's really getting ridiculous

As far as the scumbaguos Joe Pa, he may have just been scared of losing his job. With a university as big as Penn State, breaking a story like this could kill your career, even if you're not at fault. The school and ESPECIALLY the GA who hid it from the police should be taking more responsibility and punishment in my opinion.
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none
Old 2011-11-09, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Lonehunter187 View Post
As far as the scumbaguos Joe Pa, he may have just been scared of losing his job. With a university as big as Penn State, breaking a story like this could kill your career, even if you're not at fault. The school and ESPECIALLY the GA who hid it from the police should be taking more responsibility and punishment in my opinion.
Oh really, the graduate assistant is more culpable than the face of a multi-million dollar collegiate sports machine? Joe gets off the hook because he might have lost his job? You don't think graduate assistant is and order of magnitude easier to fire than Joe-fucking-Paterno? You don't think the GA probably has about a dime to his name while JoePa could have comfortably retired decades ago?

That's a fucking hilarious double standard.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2011-11-09 at 03:59 PM.
Old 2011-11-09, 03:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
BUGGER
Major General

Misc Info

Career? Legacy. It's like looking back at Bill Clinton, Michael Vick, Barry Bonds, Adolf Hitler, what would be brought up first in conversation? Forever onward he will not be the famed coached who won over 400 games in 40+ years, but a prick who endorses child molestation.

An episode of Southland aired something similar like this with a high profile player with connections to a murder and the schools efforts to cover it up. It's disgusting.

Tell you what else is disgusting.....that 160-100 whooping Rbstr dished out.

Picked up Torrey Smith WR for Alex Smith QB. Fair pickup for now...

http://mrchevys3.blogspot.com/

Living is easy with eyes closed.
Old 2011-11-09, 04:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by BUGGER View Post
Picked up Torrey Smith WR for Alex Smith QB. Fair pickup for now...
I have two "needs" on my team...A dependable second WR and a better flex guy.
The flex guy is typically one of the running backs I have based on match up and good for decent points no matter who I drop in.
But the second wideout is a total crap shoot. Early Dolcet seems to have snapped it up, by being predictably okish, for now over the completely unpredictable James Jones or Jon Bladwin...but I picked up Torrey Smith and dropped Jon Baldwin this week, just in case the guy proves more dependable than someone on the Cardinals...
which seems likely.

Jackie Battle worked out quite well for me that way. I grabbed him early, didn't play him but he really helped out in my big bye week.

Last edited by Rbstr; 2011-11-09 at 04:06 PM.
Old 2011-11-09, 04:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Crazyduckling
First Sergeant

looks like Joe Pa is officially out now.

i've got a matchup against the #1 in my league this week. i was projected to win last week by 30 points. i lost by 17. suggestions who to put in this week? (pick 3)

BenJarvus Green-Ellis
Eric Decker
Pierre Garcon
Steve Breaston
Michael Jenkins
Old 2011-11-09, 11:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Sentrosi
Contributor
General

All you ever need to know about my football allegiance is below;

Green and Yellow forever. When I die I will be watching football with the greats, and they shall whisper the name Green Bay Packers with reverence.

To the next idiot who says the PS2 Devs do not listen: See this Thread
Old 2011-11-09, 11:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Missundaztood
Corporal

Football? Ah you mean the sport where you use your foot to kick the ball? This sport isn't that big in the US.

I think you call it soccer or something.
Old 2011-11-10, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #24
BUGGER
Major General

Misc Info

Tehehehehe soccor. Actually, lockout aside, Major League Soccer (lol, cause MLF would sound like a typo) surpassed the NBA and NHL as most attended game only behind the MLB and NFL in the US.

Regardless, soccer owns the best "This is Sportscenter" commercial:

Originally Posted by Rbstr View Post
I have two "needs" on my team...A dependable second WR and a better flex guy.
The flex guy is typically one of the running backs I have based on match up and good for decent points no matter who I drop in.
But the second wideout is a total crap shoot. Early Dolcet seems to have snapped it up, by being predictably okish, for now over the completely unpredictable James Jones or Jon Bladwin...but I picked up Torrey Smith and dropped Jon Baldwin this week, just in case the guy proves more dependable than someone on the Cardinals...
which seems likely.

Jackie Battle worked out quite well for me that way. I grabbed him early, didn't play him but he really helped out in my big bye week.
I'm assuming you got that 14 or 13 point game from him. Starting him after those sub 5 point games is quite the gamble. Also, I'd keep James Jones in the roundup indefinitely. He may sometimes only get the breadcrumb passes from Rodgers, but there is always a chance to get a steak TD in Greenbay.

Originally Posted by Crazyduckling View Post

BenJarvus Green-Ellis
Eric Decker
Pierre Garcon
Steve Breaston
Start them
Decker: Denver's hottest guy that's not Tim Tebow
Breaston: Playing Denver, lol.

Flip a coin.
Green-Ellis: Gamble with that toe, last few games he's done minimal. And he's on the Patriots.
Garcon: As most sports analysts have been saying, this weekend is the Colts best chance at going 1-14. Cash in or cash out?

Penn broke up over the phone....that sucks....

Old 2011-11-10, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Raymac
Brigadier General

I know Joe Pa is a big target, but it is total bullshit how much he is being villianized when all the facts still are not in. If anybody on this planet deserved due process, it's Joe Pa.

To my understanding, it was NEVER reported to Joe Pa that a rape was witnessed. He was told that it was "horseplay" in the shower which is still disturbing but a far cry from sodomy.

Also, I understand that Joe Pa did report what he was told to the head of the Campus Police. He didn't cover it up, but this issue was for the school administration, not a coach.

I'm still extremely disappointed in Joe Pa and to his own admission he could have and should have done more. I certainly think he needs to go. The thing that upsets me is that he just announced that he was leaving at the end of the year, but he still gets fired now. The Board of Trustees even admit they don't yet have enough facts but they still throw Joe Pa under the bus.

If anybody deserved due process and the benefit of doubt until the facts are known, it should be Joe Paterno.

Old 2011-11-10, 05:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by BUGGER View Post
I'm assuming you got that 14 or 13 point game from him. Starting him after those sub 5 point games is quite the gamble.
You're talking Battle? After he became the primary he's had 17, 9, 14 and 6.5. I only played him the week of the 14. He's not a regular starter for me.

Also, I'd keep James Jones in the roundup indefinitely. He may sometimes only get the breadcrumb passes from Rodgers, but there is always a chance to get a steak TD in Greenbay.
Like I was saying my 2nd WR is a complete crap shoot. Jones had one catch last week, though it was for a TD...It was the only ball thrown his way. Smith on the other hand has had at least 3 catches the last 4 games. Doucet, while much more consistent than either, is up against Phily. Jones and Smith are up against Seattle and Minnesota respectively.
So I'm betting Torrey Smith this week.

(remember I'm in PPR. Targets mean catches mean points, more so than usual)

Last edited by Rbstr; 2011-11-10 at 05:57 PM.
Old 2011-11-19, 02:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
BUGGER
Major General

Misc Info

Nah Battle shouldn't be, playing him is like rolling dice.

I'm back at 5-5. Against the league's #2 team. They're are favored as they should be, Frank Gore is playing half a ship and I just picked up Marshawn Lynch in place of Bradshaw.

I'm hoping for an upset like the one that just happened in Iowa. Still bumming about Stanford last week *sigh*

Also, how about quaterback Tim Tebow and how do the Denver Bronco's keep winning with him? Angels on the Gridiron?

Old 2011-11-22, 11:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

Cinched my division #1 seed for the playoffs. I get a bye. Still have two more regular season games, though.

Kicking myself for not playing Torrey Smith, not that it ended up mattering.
I think I'm going to nab Rex Grossman in case the packers start pulling Rodgers.

Old 2011-11-30, 06:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
BUGGER
Major General

Misc Info

If I were the Packers, I'd shoot for perfection. Chances like these don't come often.

But a backup qb is something I'm going to have to look into as well...

My friend, Kiko Alonso, got his first int for Oregon last weekend. Playing with him back in highschool, I'm suprised it took so long.

29 seconds in...

Old 2011-11-30, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Raymac
Brigadier General

Oregon has made me so much money this year...well in reality they've helped keep me even, but I love betting on them to cover spreads and the Over. You're starting to see more and more teams try to immitate their up-tempo offense. It's a shame they don't have a better strength of schedule because I'd rather see an LSU v Ore rematch for the title than a boycott on TDs LSU v Bama rematch.

PlanetSide Universe > General Forums > The Lounge