Cloaked Infiltrator Image from Higby! - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Psychotic Suicidal Urges
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-11-18, 06:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Re: Cloaked Infiltrator Image from Higby!

Originally Posted by Talek Krell View Post
Probably a carbine variant. I kind of suspected that they'd end up with those as an option. Probably had to pick between that and a bunch of useful toys though.
It would be funny if cloakers were finally are able to use rifles, only to be laughed at by everyone for gimping themselves that way.

Although ideally, everything will be balanced and more or less equally useful.
Old 2011-11-18, 06:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Old 2011-11-18, 06:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

You're on a roll Moto.
Old 2011-11-18, 06:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Its been updated look again
Old 2011-11-18, 06:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Wizkid45
Private

The gun lookds kinda like a Pulsar, but it's a TR cloaker so that cant be.

And seriously guys, about the "He's not moving but you can see him!!" posts. If the cloaker wasn't moving and was thus completely cloaked, you'd be looking at the side of a base. I'm sure they intentionally made it semi-visible for this screenshot so you would get the cloaker effect but still be able to see the guy. If you haven't noticed, a lot of these screenshots are stagedto some degree to show off whatever it is being shown (all the flying aircraft shots never have a pilot if you look in the cockpit).
Old 2011-11-18, 06:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Wizkid45 View Post
The gun lookds kinda like a Pulsar, but it's a TR cloaker so that cant be.

And seriously guys, about the "He's not moving but you can see him!!" posts. If the cloaker wasn't moving and was thus completely cloaked, you'd be looking at the side of a base. I'm sure they intentionally made it semi-visible for this screenshot so you would get the cloaker effect but still be able to see the guy. If you haven't noticed, a lot of these screenshots are stagedto some degree to show off whatever it is being shown (all the flying aircraft shots never have a pilot if you look in the cockpit).
More to the point, there is 300 reavers attacking your base, the last thing you will look for is a cloaker!
Old 2011-11-18, 07:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Xyntech
Brigadier General

I wanna speculate more!
Old 2011-11-18, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by SuperMorto View Post
Haha
Old 2011-11-18, 08:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
MooK
Staff Sergeant

INNFILLTRAAATOORRRRRR
Old 2011-11-18, 08:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by MooK View Post
INNFILLTRAAATOORRRRRR
Where?................

Old 2011-11-18, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
BUT HOW DID YOU SEE ME...I didn't...but the radar did...
Ah, yes, but with them sending no positional data over 50 feet away, that effect would be reduced.

AND, cloakers shouldn't show up on radar, ever, under any circumstances, period.

Let's make cloakers actual cloakers. Not just the least-armored targets in the game that anyone with a fifty-cent hack, a gamma tweak, or just Audio game-wrecking Implant can see as if they are a parade float.
Old 2011-11-18, 09:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
EASyEightyEight
Sergeant Major

Firing a weapon might just break the cloak, and it could take a while for the cloaking effect to completely reinitialize. We may see the suit slowly "disintegrate" into the bubble over the course of 30 seconds or so. This would discourage firing on some unsuspecting group and then expecting to pop back into cloak right after the last round is fired. If a cloaker is going to engage an enemy, they should be ready to make themselves vulnerable.

Either way, with Planetside's lighting, the cloak effect might have a stronger effect in low light areas, as there's less light to bend and naturally, bubble effects are harder to spot in the dark. I'm sure there's some mix between wanting cloakers to be invisible, but also wanting them to be choosy about how they move around. In short, the cloak is probably only good for avoiding a passing glance, unless an agent is opting for subtlety and sabotage over spec-ops/nano suit guerilla tactics.

I'm happy that we might see the latter. Fun to fight, fun to be

I don't see the imbalance in trading off armor for evasion. Where a rexo might take 7-8 rounds, cloakers will probably only take 2 or 3 quick pot-shots to put down.
Old 2011-11-18, 10:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
CutterJohn
Colonel

Originally Posted by BorisBlade View Post
The rifle may just be what they had on this guy when they let him cloak for a screenshot. Doesnt neccesarily mean cloakers get one in the final game.
Its a pretty damned fair indication though. They aren't likely to put out screenshots of things that won't be possible.

As for the visibility, this is a new game. Cloakers may not have super invis anymore. There also may not be darklight anymore to compensate for this. Crysis did this, and it worked well. You couldn't just squat and be completely invisible. Perhaps necessary in the claustrophobic PS1 bases. The bases in PS2 look far larger, with far more targets.

Its also possible that there this could be the base level of cloaking, and that there could be additional equipment to make yourself more invisible, at the cost of killing power. Or perhaps that the cloak is stronger when a weapon is not equipped, or a rifle.

This definitely bodes well for the idea that pistols aren't worthless weapons anymore.. If cloakers can have a rifle, then theres no balance issue with having them serve as a strong backup weapon.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-11-18 at 10:33 PM.
Old 2011-11-18, 10:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Tribulator
Private

Or maybe the screen shot was taken during the few second after activating the suite so we can actually see the cloacker… if you still play PS1 check it out; when you deactivate the suite you have the exact same effect as see on this pic.
Old 2011-11-18, 11:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Tribulator View Post
when you deactivate the suite you have the exact same effect as see on this pic.
Well, not the exact same effect, but yes, a similar, if lower tech version of the same effect.

Still, given that we know snipers won't be able to "effectively" cloak, it's not an unreasonable assumption that this could be as good as cloaking get's while holding a rifle.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion