Active reload thoughts? - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: you'll need a seatbelt for your computer chair.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Yes or no would you wan't the active reloading concept in PS2?
Yes include active reload 35 17.07%
No don't include active reload 170 82.93%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-05, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

Re: Active reload thoughts?

Originally Posted by Elude View Post
Having a faster reload attachment does make more sense than having an active reload attachment sadly

Perhaps active reloading would be better for tanks where the gunner has a much lazier job. It would also help change the out comes in tank vs tank battles where in most cases its who gets the first shots off, a player caught by surprise could have the potential to come back with such a feature.
Now THIS i could see having potential, but only in two or three man tanks - Those tank teams who are coordinated and cooperative enough working well together on something like this could really reward TEAMWORK, rather than simply changing outcomes. It would be like the tank team loading shells at a break neck pace, like an elite team, and doesn't hurt those who like to play solo --- they can go for the lightning. I like this if it is implemented well.

Last edited by CidHighwind; 2012-02-05 at 07:24 PM.
Old 2012-02-05, 07:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
Elude
First Sergeant

I think active reloading would work well with sniping and tank combat.
Old 2012-02-05, 07:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Zulthus
Colonel

I think active reloading would work well with sniping and tank combat.
Tanks, not so much IMO. Their firepower is too destructive to have a double time reload speed. I think standard infantry weapons are fine though.
Old 2012-02-05, 07:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
ThGlump
Captain

I think you misunderstand how active reloading works, it's not auto reloading. Active reloading is the exact same as manual reloading but with a little small minigame in between the reload animation, if anything it's more manual than the reloading you are use to in games.
I know what "active reloads" mean. I just dont want it. So i wrote how your should be active to speed up your reloads. Watch your ammo and dont let autoreload do it for you. Some minigames isnt right, and would be boring and tedious after first week.
Old 2012-02-05, 07:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Vancha
Colonel

I think you could probably fit active reloading in somewhere, but I'd imagine it takes your focus off of the action somewhat (and other people have said as much).

I was going to say I liked the idea for sniping, because I could imagine learning the rhythm over time so as not to need to look at the bar, but then I realize that could apply to everyone. The tap sequence would become muscle memory rather than something that requires focus.

I can also imagine something like this working quite well for hacking, if indeed hacking still exists.
Old 2012-02-05, 07:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
ThGlump
Captain

Originally Posted by Vancha View Post
The tap sequence would become muscle memory rather than something that requires focus.
If its in game it should have randomized speed up area. If its always same, so it can be learned, it will be keyboard macro from first day, instead something you should learn to be better.
Old 2012-02-05, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Graywolves
General

Reload time should focused on reaching cover and preparing to execute your next movement.

Not intently watching a tick mark reach the white area of the bar while you're reloading.
Old 2012-02-05, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Elude
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
If its in game it should have randomized speed up area. If its always same, so it can be learned, it will be keyboard macro from first day, instead something you should learn to be better.
That's not a bad idea, a fluctuation in the speed would be good indeed, though it shouldn't be too drastic just enough to throw off macros.
Old 2012-02-05, 07:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Let's talk more constructively than just using blanket statements. Making it an optional attachment would let people who don't mind the mechanic use it, while not forcing anyone who doesn't like it to avoid it.

As for specifics, I mentioned in my last post that having its benefit conditional on doing the active reload... "mini-game", if you can call it that... successfully might be problematic. Getting no benefit from something unless you do a side-game would be frustrating compared to simply hitting a button and shooting a grenade from an underslung launcher.

So, I'd say having it as an attachment should incur some sort of bonus automatically. It shouldn't be dead weight otherwise as that might make people feel very apathetic toward it if they screw up three of the mini-games and then get shot in the face and die. "Why do I even have this attached?", they might ask themselves.

Otherwise, I think it would be just fine for pretty well any gun. The mechanic isn't forced, it provides some of its benefit just being there and the rest when you do the mini-game, and everyone is happy. Then the only trick is making it competitive with whatever else is competing for the slot.
Old 2012-02-05, 08:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Mightymouser
Master Sergeant

I doubt I'd use it, but I wouldn't really care if it was an add-on... With one provision: The timing needed to tap the reload key again should be a time selected from a random set; otherwise this is just begging someone to exploit it with a macro (as previously mentioned)

Alternatively, just add an attachment which speeds up reloading, and do away with the whole 'active' part altogether...
Old 2012-02-05, 09:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
Marth Koopa
Banned

Originally Posted by Mightymouser View Post
I doubt I'd use it, but I wouldn't really care if it was an add-on... With one provision: The timing needed to tap the reload key again should be a time selected from a random set; otherwise this is just begging someone to exploit it with a macro (as previously mentioned)
Person A's active reload timer was 2 seconds earlier than Person B's active reload timer

Person A wins because he finished reloading first because of random factors

No thanks
Old 2012-02-05, 09:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Vancha
Colonel

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
Let's talk more constructively than just using blanket statements. Making it an optional attachment would let people who don't mind the mechanic use it, while not forcing anyone who doesn't like it to avoid it.

As for specifics, I mentioned in my last post that having its benefit conditional on doing the active reload... "mini-game", if you can call it that... successfully might be problematic. Getting no benefit from something unless you do a side-game would be frustrating compared to simply hitting a button and shooting a grenade from an underslung launcher.

So, I'd say having it as an attachment should incur some sort of bonus automatically. It shouldn't be dead weight otherwise as that might make people feel very apathetic toward it if they screw up three of the mini-games and then get shot in the face and die. "Why do I even have this attached?", they might ask themselves.

Otherwise, I think it would be just fine for pretty well any gun. The mechanic isn't forced, it provides some of its benefit just being there and the rest when you do the mini-game, and everyone is happy. Then the only trick is making it competitive with whatever else is competing for the slot.
This seems like a lot of development/balancing headache compared to just having a +X% reload speed attachment.
Old 2012-02-05, 09:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Not a big fan of active reload. Imo, lets just stick with the good ole fashion 1 speed reload.

Old 2012-02-05, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Mightymouser
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Marth Koopa View Post
Person A's active reload timer was 2 seconds earlier than Person B's active reload timer

Person A wins because he finished reloading first because of random factors

No thanks
That seems an entirely irrational argument, because that implies that there's at least 4 seconds worth of a reload timer normally... That seems very unlikely, and entirely unnecessary for the system to work. Instead, the total reload time is probably around 1.5-2 seconds, and the difference due to the randomizing system would be on the order of milliseconds. And assuming it's entirely random, I think that's reasonable; given that the alternative is that people with macros consistently have the advantage...
Old 2012-02-05, 09:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
If the advantage to using the optional attachment is more advantageous than other choices in the game then you do force people into using it. Imagine reload time was 3 seconds and this attachment let you reload in 1 seconds. Suddenly you're forcing people to use an attachment and play through a subjectively dumb minigame to reload faster or be put at a disadvantage.

The logical choice if it's an attachment would be just have a static reload speed boost.

Also I'm not always against RNG, but in this case RNG really shouldn't be used.

(I was going to use a slippery slope logical fallacy and say "what's next dance dance revolution to spawn faster?". Not a fan of quick time events in games)
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion