Char progression: Beta > Live - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Does whatever a spider can.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should beta testers keep their progression after launch?
Yes, allow progression to carry over to Live 19 14.73%
No, everyone should start from square one come launch 110 85.27%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-02-16, 12:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
MilitantBob
Private

Maybe just start all beta participants at BR5 or something. Just a little bit of thanks for helping work the kinks out of their game.
Old 2012-02-16, 12:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
BigBossMonkey
Master Sergeant

Re: Char progression: Beta > Live

Originally Posted by MilitantBob View Post
Maybe just start all beta participants at BR5 or something. Just a little bit of thanks for helping work the kinks out of their game.
Your thanks for working the kinks out of the game should be a nonbuggy game.

You shouldn't need any further rewards than that, and if you expect them, perhaps testing the beta is not for you.

(This applies to all beta tests, not just PS2)
Old 2012-02-16, 12:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Bags
Lieutenant General

Just names.
Old 2012-02-16, 12:35 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
BigBossMonkey
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
Or do it like World of Tanks did it and give an allowance for station cash or maybe a temporary "ps2 cash" daily. I don't know how they could stop you from using it on other SOE games if they use station cash though... To me that seems it would be a good way to test their store and wipe the characters without pissing anyone off.
Just make all PS2 store items free during beta, and only last until the end of beta.
Old 2012-02-16, 12:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Vancha
Colonel

It depends whether beta is a beta test or whether beta is more along the lines of what Minecraft did (considering the sheer number of the initial batch of beta keys, it could be either).

If the beta has any kind of exclusivity, then everything should be reset when things go live. An "I was in beta" merit or something would be appreciated, though.
Old 2012-02-16, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
NEWSKIS
Corporal

Originally Posted by BigBossMonkey View Post
Just make all PS2 store items free during beta, and only last until the end of beta.
This would make the most sense for ease of testing and the fact that if characters get wiped noone can really complain.
Old 2012-02-16, 12:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
ThGlump
Captain

Originally Posted by MilitantBob View Post
Why everyone want a reward for being in beta? Its a voluntary choice to play and help devs to smash all the bugs and then have your progress erased. If you dont want to do it for free nobody is forcing you to do it. There are plenty others for that. And reward is that you can play in beta.

Originally Posted by BigBossMonkey View Post
They need to test cash shop too. Not only bugs but prices too. Giving small amount of cash every week, they can see what will ppl buy with it and what feels overpriced/unnecessary.
Old 2012-02-16, 12:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
NEWSKIS
Corporal

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
They need to test cash shop too. Not only bugs but prices too. Giving small amount of cash every week, they can see what will ppl buy with it and what feels overpriced/unnecessary.
The only thing with that is if people get cash for free it wont show what people are willing to pay real money for. People will buy whatever because its free.
Old 2012-02-16, 12:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
ThGlump
Captain

Not if they have limited amount of cash. Something to buy 1 item a week, or save 2-3 weeks for better item.
Old 2012-02-16, 12:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

MAYBE I'm "missing" something (besides some chromosones and a brain)
but isn't "Beta" all about TESTING gameplay ?

Free store during Beta - but no carry-over of anything else besides your toons "name".

I must be a bigger idiot than I thought - cuz I consider being "invited" into Beta to help improve a game I loved in its previous form as an honor or priveledge.

Yes to bags.....keep your toon name.

But, no Courtjester-J crap needed. Give Beta guys a token choice if you must - there could be a tiny "Beta" badge.

I don't care if future players know "I was in Beta". Whatever. I don't get that mentality at all. They can have the option of a little badge, colored laces on their boots, a beret, but keep it minimal. It doesn't make anoyone better to have been in Beta.

The sole reward (IMO) should be the fact you were lucky enough to be invited in.

BigBossMonkey hit my funny bone with the "Higby Beard" thing.

....give Beta guys the option of sporting a beard. It has a clock. You have 300 hours of playing time with your "HB" to let people know you're cooler than them cuz you wuz in Beta.

.....then, back to reality. You ain't no beta than anyone else.

Last edited by Chaff; 2012-02-16 at 01:02 PM.
Old 2012-02-16, 12:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
BigBossMonkey
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
Why everyone want a reward for being in beta? Its a voluntary choice to play and help devs to smash all the bugs and then have your progress erased. If you dont want to do it for free nobody is forcing you to do it. There are plenty others for that. And reward is that you can play in beta.

Thing is, this isn't SOEs first F2P game. I'm assuming they can have the prices work fine... Just make the things free during beta test to test the ITEMS from the shop.

Once beta is over, wipe it all out and put in the real prices.
Old 2012-02-16, 12:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by NEWSKIS View Post
The only thing with that is if people get cash for free it wont show what people are willing to pay real money for. People will buy whatever because its free.

LIMIT their cash store - so they can't afford everything. Maybe they can uncert things (they tried / don't like) and then recert/try someting different.

I think the devs will figure out a way to "read the tea leaves" in this regard. You make a good point. But people have to be able to "try stuff".

These are the few advantages Beta guys might take away with them ..... WHAT WORKS vs what is simply cosmetic or cool sounding - but doesn't yield tangible results.
Old 2012-02-16, 12:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Just names.
^^^^ This is all the reward we should get.
Old 2012-02-16, 01:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Coreldan
Colonel

Originally Posted by DaddyTickles View Post
Has there ever been a Beta which has carried over caracter stats to Live?

Genuine question. I've been in several betas and they were all scrubbed clean when Live launched.
APB had a short period of closed beta before it went to open beta where progress was saved, partially cos they started testing/using the cash shop during CB already, so it wouldve been quite bad to remove said items.

But as for the topic itself, I wouldnt expect to have anything carry over to live.

Core - Lieutenant | HIVE | Auraxis
Visit us at http://www.wasp-inc.org and YouTube
Old 2012-02-16, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Graywolves
General

I wouldn't mind starting from scratch after beta. Things could be adjusted during/after beta if we got things too fast or too late.

Ultimatley I don't mind because it's an FPS. I doubt we'd feel a big sense of loss.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion