Char progression: Beta > Live - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Better than A20
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should beta testers keep their progression after launch?
Yes, allow progression to carry over to Live 19 14.73%
No, everyone should start from square one come launch 110 85.27%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-02-16, 11:38 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
Kaotc
Corporal

Question Char progression: Beta > Live

Will any advancements made by beta testers, be carried over to the game, or will there be a massacre and everyone starts from square one at launch?

obviously the latter is the fairest option to the suspected vast majority of people not selected/eligible for beta testing. however, it _could_ be construed as a reward for people who did beta test, if they were to get to keep their progression.

Thoughts?
Old 2012-02-16, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
DaddyTickles
Sergeant

Re: Char progression: Beta > Live

Has there ever been a Beta which has carried over caracter stats to Live?

Genuine question. I've been in several betas and they were all scrubbed clean when Live launched.
Old 2012-02-16, 11:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
XPquant
Sergeant

I have never seen progression carry over from beta's to gold.
Old 2012-02-16, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #4
ThGlump
Captain

Usually many bugs and balance changes will in beta, making it impossible or really unfair to bring your beta chars to live. Maybe last month of beta will be saved for live (since its f2p anyway), but before that expect many wipes during beta.
Old 2012-02-16, 11:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #5
Kaotc
Corporal

im not sure either, hence asking the question, its not fair to people that didnt get to beta test, but could be a reward for those that helped out with beta? i dunno.

i guess i also depends how they launch the game, being F2P will the basically just patch the game from beta to live, or will they stop the beta, then go for a proper launch.
Old 2012-02-16, 11:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #6
lolroflroflcake
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Kaotc View Post
Will any advancements made by beta testers, be carried over to the game, or will there be a massacre and everyone starts from square one at launch?

obviously the latter is the fairest option to the suspected vast majority of people not selected/eligible for beta testing. however, it _could_ be construed as a reward for people who did beta test, if they were to get to keep their progression.

Thoughts?
I don't think the few extra toys the beta testers unlock over the few months of beta testing would hurt new players that much in a game where your ability to kill is based primarily off player skills and teamwork and not character progression. So why not, let the beta testers keep their character advancements.
Old 2012-02-16, 11:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #7
Kaotc
Corporal

the F2P model for me, does grey the lines of the launch, in that people wont have to buy it like they did for Battlefield, or any other game that ive played recently that has had an open/closed beta.

they could very easily go for a "soft" launch, where they just patch the game during maintenence, and boom, game is live. (i think this is what Tribes:Ascend will do, for example)

Traditionally with P2P games, the beta is stopped a short while before the actual launch of the game.
Old 2012-02-16, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #8
TheRagingGerbil
Contributor
Major

If the game is completely balanced and a day one newbie is just as effective at killing as a day 100 vet-beta tester, than it really shouldn't matter. But just to make everyone feel like they are on the level, everyone should start from scratch once beta is complete.
Old 2012-02-16, 11:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #9
Rbstr
Contributor
Lieutenant General

Misc Info

No.

I'd be pretty surprised if beta didn't have accelerated character progression in order to facilitate testing. Super unfair. How would they deal with cash store stuff? Are they going to make beta players pay out of pocket for it? Doesn't seem likely.
Now I could envision a reward of some scale for beta involvement. Special cosmetic stuff, maybe small stuff that's available to everyone anyway like a coupon for a free store item.

All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated and well supported in logic and argument than others.
Old 2012-02-16, 11:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Azren
Sergeant Major

It will pretty much be an open beta, so there is no worry about latecommers.

That said however, I am very worried about possible exploits that kickstart characters, something that should not be present in live.
Old 2012-02-16, 11:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Anyone who was in beta - should have a tail on their toon when PS2 officially launches open to the public.

Maybe a Beta player should have a choice of what to carry over into the real game;
a) tail
b) clown shoes
c) Hello Kitty shoulder patch
d) none of the above
e) all of the above

I'll take "c".
"e" is very tempting though.......

No xp or char dev should carry over.
Old 2012-02-16, 12:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Im pretty sure this will be like tribes ascend and carry over from beta to live servers.

I can almost grantee that SOE will have a cash shop in Beta for players to use..What is the point of buying something in beta that will be erased when the game goes live.

Look for these characters to transfer from Beta to Live..

I also believe this game will mostly have a huge open beta stage..like it or not I think they will be transferred over.

p.s. - I could still be wrong.

Last edited by Tigersmith; 2012-02-16 at 12:07 PM.
Old 2012-02-16, 12:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Cosmical
Contributor
Cosmic Comics

Think the standard practice is giving people lil badges or titles saying I WAS IN BETA DONT YOU THINK THATS COOL!!

Plus so much of this game will be knowledge based, beta players will already have all the advantage they need to excel.
Old 2012-02-16, 12:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Tigersmith
Major

Misc Info

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
Openly admitting this in the firefall public forums, Red5 CEO said they were going to wipe characters that bought things from the store and I am not 100% sure if they are going to be reimbursed except for extra XP. I am not buying shit from the store until there is an absolute confirmation from SOE that things bought in the store WILL carry over into gold.
As this is very possible too. This its just annoying for the consumer (I would be frustrated with this)..I hope SOE just makes the items carry over..or have the characters transfer from beta to live.
Old 2012-02-16, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
BigBossMonkey
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Chaff View Post
Anyone who was in beta - should have a tail on their toon when PS2 officially launches open to the public.

Maybe a Beta player should have a choice of what to carry over into the real game;
a) tail
b) clown shoes
c) Hello Kitty shoulder patch
d) none of the above
e) all of the above

I'll take "c".
"e" is very tempting though.......

No xp or char dev should carry over.
Everyone in beta should get special Higby beard.

But I agree, nothing at all should carry over from beta to launch. It's just wrong.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion