Support players in PS2. - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Not responsible for loss of girlfriend.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-15, 09:02 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Kipper
Captain

Re: Support players in PS2.

Originally Posted by Pyreal View Post
There may be a side-grade to make the turret an proximity/motion activated auto turret at the loss of power or endurance. Never know.
I doubt it & hope not. The removal of automated stuff is to promote player vs player, and put people using turrets at risk.

If turrets are automated, there's no risk to the engineer in using them; you get free kills without the danger of actually being killed.
Old 2012-05-15, 11:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
VelRa
Sergeant

I'm really excited to play engineer in conjunction with the Galaxy mobile respawn functionality. With such deep certification trees (6 months worth?), I think there are going to be a lot of gadgets to play with as engineer and medic. Things like motion sensors, mines, cloak bubbles (though we haven't heard anything about these yet). For recon I'd love to see thermal/infrared binoculars so that they're a necessity.
Old 2012-05-15, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Logri
Contributor
Staff Sergeant

The prospect of having dedicated support roles is an exciting one.
In my opinion the back-bone of the invasion force/zerg.
Old 2012-05-15, 01:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
Shogun
Contributor
General

keep in mind, that changing a class in planetside 2 will be possible at every spawnpoint or terminal.

so we will not be forced to decide which role we will be able to play. we can play all roles without having to specialize. you only have to choose which class you want to update with possible sidegrades or upgrades first. this is only limited by time, so you can max out your possibilitys for every class if you play long enough.

i´m still not sure if this is a good or bad thing, but it´s definitely something, most other mmos don´t have. so i wanted to point that out again for all the new privates

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-05-15, 01:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
I doubt it & hope not. The removal of automated stuff is to promote player vs player, and put people using turrets at risk.

If turrets are automated, there's no risk to the engineer in using them; you get free kills without the danger of actually being killed.
I hope the machine guns have sufficient head protection, at least from the front. Nobody will man one if they are worried about being an easy head shot target for a sniper.

Just make it so that snipers have to attack them from the side/back, or that AV or lots of sustained small arms fire is required to bring someone on a machine gun down, and it should be fine.
Old 2012-05-15, 02:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Kran De Loy
Captain

I'd say that turrets are defensive positions by their nature, so not too much worry about pushing forward and being left behind since you're probably fighting to stay where you are and not be pushed back...

....and if you have to move - disassemble and rebuild in a new location
Originally Posted by kaffis View Post
This.

Mana Turrets are about creating a strong point to rally or bolster an active defense, not creating speed bumps and obstacles for the opposing force.

If you're bored in a Mana Turret, you're doing it wrong.
While you guys are right, you're not looking at the whole picture. Turrets are about Area Denial. Which is pretty much mostly used for what you said. I was just pointing out that Mana Turrets are different from the older Spitfires (in a nerf kind of way) in that Mana Turrets by their nature have to move with the main force while Spitfires could be left behind. While in just about any other case the differences between the Mana and the Spitfire are pretty much well balanced between each other. Like Mana will be able to acquire a target from a much farther distance than a Spitfire could because of the player manning it, but there could be a very logical limitation on the spin radius (field of fire) that the Mana turret can cover. (Example: Once built the Mana is deployed only looks in a 140 degree arc while the spitfire would cover a 360 degree arc, but the spitfire would only lock onto something within a 30 meter radius while for the Mana turret if the Gunner can see it he'll shoot at it.

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I hope the machine guns have sufficient head protection, at least from the front. Nobody will man one if they are worried about being an easy head shot target for a sniper.

Just make it so that snipers have to attack them from the side/back, or that AV or lots of sustained small arms fire is required to bring someone on a machine gun down, and it should be fine.
That is if the Mana Turret is deployed out in the open. Which would be pretty much the case for any defense at all, static or otherwise. What I mean is that static defenses are easier targets, but that doesn't mean they'll always be out in the open or that they won't be able to utilize the cover around them intelligently.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-05-15 at 02:26 PM.
Old 2012-05-15, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
That is if the Mana Turret is deployed out in the open. Which would be pretty much the case for any defense at all, static or otherwise. What I mean is that static defenses are easier targets, but that doesn't mean they'll always be out in the open or that they won't be able to utilize the cover around them intelligently.
Absolutely, but you will never be able to have good cover against the direction you want to fire the machine gun in. If they don't have good forward protection, snipers will just lol and head shot anyone stupid enough to man them. The devs have probably already got this covered though, and if not, beta will prove how important it is, so not really something to worry about.

Side and rear attack is where the use of terrain and other cover will come into play, as it should be.
Old 2012-05-15, 03:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
Kipper
Captain

I agree with the sentiment that allowing snipers to own turrets from the front would not be good, because it will happen a lot.

Snipers should need to get around onto the flanks, if you want to attack a turret at the front, it should be with tank shells, rockets, grenades, that sort of stuff.
Old 2012-05-15, 03:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Toppopia
Major

I agree with the sentiment that allowing snipers to own turrets from the front would not be good, because it will happen a lot.

Snipers should need to get around onto the flanks, if you want to attack a turret at the front, it should be with tank shells, rockets, grenades, that sort of stuff.
And if people are smart the could either place 3 turrets next to eachother to provide ultimate defence or find a nice crevice in the wall of a base so they can't be attacked from the side, which would be cool to do, no silly snipers can kill me now
Old 2012-05-16, 08:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Shamrock
Contributor
First Sergeant

I will miss spitfires; I don't totally accept the idea that they were risk free. I can remember many occasions where I was dropping them in a CY that was being breached and keeping them up and repaired while getting shot at was far from risk free.

Also if the manned turrets are anything like the advanced CE deployables in PS1 they will be tank bait in most locations other than where they can take advantage of LOS cover from buildings/structures.

If on the other hand they can be remote controlled, im thinking Team Fortress 2 turret mechanics with the remote glove, then that could be very versatile and fun to!

Old 2012-05-16, 09:13 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Kran De Loy
Captain

Originally Posted by Shamrock View Post
I will miss spitfires; I don't totally accept the idea that they were risk free. I can remember many occasions where I was dropping them in a CY that was being breached and keeping them up and repaired while getting shot at was far from risk free.

Also if the manned turrets are anything like the advanced CE deployables in PS1 they will be tank bait in most locations other than where they can take advantage of LOS cover from buildings/structures.

If on the other hand they can be remote controlled, im thinking Team Fortress 2 turret mechanics with the remote glove, then that could be very versatile and fun to!
Remote controled? At first I thought sweet. But on second thought it would still make the person controlling it sit still, but now they're able to go hide somewhere and I honestly do not see how this could work unless the only person able to control it is the engi that deployed it.

Maybe just make the sentry deployment make it so that no other turrets cant be too close to it if they implement a forward facing defense system on the turret. Something reasonable like 3 meters or so.

Also having a turret deployed in a tight crevice is a completely legitimate tactic and shouldn't be restricted.

Also thinking more about it, having the turrets being sniped is actually a good thing. I mean when I really think about it, the forward facing defense should still be in place to help deflect small arms and explosives to a degree, but snipers are specifically made to be able to by pass defenses exactly like that a turret set up. Brute forcing you're way through them would also be an option of course, but it really shouldn't be the only option.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-05-16 at 09:17 AM.
Old 2012-05-16, 10:51 AM   [Ignore Me] #27
DarkTower
Private

Didn't play PS1 so no opinion on whether manned/automatic turrets are preferable. As someone wanting to use the Engineer as a Galaxy pilot, I like the idea of manned turrets though, because if I'm earning XP for spawns from my Galaxy, I want a good way to defend it.

For example, basing this on the base assault in one of the videos in the stickied Information Thread, during the base assault the steady stream of attackers would suggest to me (as a defender) that there must be a Galaxy parked nearby. Take a Light Assault class with a Jetpack and jump over the base walls with an anti-vehicle gun and/or the equivalent of some C4, destroy the Galaxy and stop the attack. To counter this, a manned turret lets you defend your vehicle as an Engineer and forces the defenders to think tactically about pushing the enemy back to the Galaxy, or holding at one point in the base while others destroy the spawn location.
Old 2012-05-16, 11:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Kran De Loy View Post
Also thinking more about it, having the turrets being sniped is actually a good thing. I mean when I really think about it, the forward facing defense should still be in place to help deflect small arms and explosives to a degree, but snipers are specifically made to be able to by pass defenses exactly like that a turret set up. Brute forcing you're way through them would also be an option of course, but it really shouldn't be the only option.
Having turrets be sniped from the side is a good thing, because it requires the sniper to set up on the target.

Sniping the turret from the front is easy, considering that it is probably pointed towards the direction you are coming towards it from. You just get in view of it, then headshot the sitting duck.

It's not that there shouldn't be multiple ways to take out MANA turrets and their operators, it's that stationary targets are easy pickings for snipers and would turn them into certain death if they had no forward protection. Snipers would be jumping over each other to take out anyone dumb enough to man a turret, and so people would stop manning them.

But if there were forward protection, gunners would be safer from the most obvious, most dangerous direction. Snipers could still have a field day setting up on them from another angle other than the front, but this would often take a little more time, giving turret operators a chance to do some good before potentially getting sniped.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-05-16 at 11:29 AM.
Old 2012-05-16, 11:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
Kipper
Captain

TBH, upgrading a basic turret (gun on a stick) to one with a metal shield (recuded visibility for front protection) or an energy shield (no loss of visibility for front protection) but be a good upgrade path.

Make more advanced turrets take a little longer to deploy too, or give a reason for gun on a stick types to still be viable.
Old 2012-05-16, 12:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
kaffis
Contributor
Major

TBH, upgrading a basic turret (gun on a stick) to one with a metal shield (recuded visibility for front protection) or an energy shield (no loss of visibility for front protection) but be a good upgrade path.

Make more advanced turrets take a little longer to deploy too, or give a reason for gun on a stick types to still be viable.
This is the approach I'd like to see.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion