Support players in PS2. - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The NC say - Better dead than red!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2012-05-14, 11:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #1
LightningDriver
Corporal

Support players in PS2.

In my years of playing PS on and off, I've really enjoyed being in a support position more than anything else. I enjoy trying to help the army make it's push on whatever target we're going for, as I'm sure all engineers and medics like doing.

I can only read up on the new features for PS2 because of my hearing impairment, and most of the new information I've seen is on videos. Are there any new features, or "sidegrades", that will make being an engineer even more fun? Or will they completly change the game? I haven't been able to find out too much on the interweb to read about this.

Specifically, is there any way to end the never ending conga line of MAX units following me and asking for repairs? I don't mind repairing at all, but I'd like to shoot my gun once in a while.
Old 2012-05-14, 11:09 AM   [Ignore Me] #2
Zekeen
Major

Re: Support players in PS2.

I think they are definitely going with combat engineers, that's always a big thing in PS. So never fear.

And if you think on it, Engineers will probably be expected to be defenders of Galaxy spawn points, providing defense and repairs. You also get a deployable turret I believe... not automatic, you get to jump in and gun people down.

I don't think they are changing the engineers position in PS2, and it was always a defensive death and life bringer in PS1. If you have MAXes needing repairs, then you need engineers on the front line, and that means big guns for the engineers too.
Old 2012-05-14, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #3
Shogun
Contributor
General

always nice to read from fellow support/engineer lovers

the engineer will be a powerful fighting unit in ps2. engis will sport quite effective weapons to "shoot at something" so you don´t have to worry.

other confirmed engineer news:
no spitfires, but deployable "mana" turrets. they look like a big machine gun on a stick you can deploy almost everywhere. and you or other soldiers can grab the trigger and have some fun with it.

deployable mines of several types. maybe av, ai and jammer

deployable forcefield covers

have you checked the engineer spot on on planetside2.com ?

not too much more is known about the engineer yet.

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
Old 2012-05-14, 01:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
kaffis
Contributor
Major

I'm definitely looking forward to supplementing my support gameplay with the engineer's newfound ability to erect defensible positions that actually engage and interact with the defenders.

Spitfires always seemed lame, to me, because you set them up and then they do their own thing. I'm much more excited about the MANA Turret and the notion of being able to set up cover to create a defensive advantage for your own squad to make use of.
Old 2012-05-14, 03:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
LightningDriver
Corporal

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
a big machine gun on a stick
I'm totally going to be an engineer again now.
Old 2012-05-14, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Folly
Private

I loved dropping mines in PS1, strategically picking out sneaky spots to blow up enemies. Hoping PS2 will have a similarly generous mine-total cap.

I'm saddened by being unable to drop auto-turrets. Those required similar calculating care in order to be at all effective, and I feel like losing them takes away a huge part of the supporting role of engineers.

More than anything, I want to be able to repair moving targets this time around. That would greatly improve the usefulness of support engineers imo.
Old 2012-05-14, 06:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Sifer2
Major

I think its weird they are removing some of the teamwork from tanks by giving drivers control of the main turret. But spitfires they are doing the opposite. Requiring asses in seats for it to work.

Personally I think they should have both. The automated spitfire should be pretty weak mostly a way to make it harder for light assaults to move around. Where as heavy armor guys can plow through them. With the manned version a heavy hitter that everyone fears but is stationary so a easy target.
Old 2012-05-14, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Virulence
Sergeant

I liked playing support/logistics in PS1 a lot. I would frequently play pit crew for tanks and get them fixed up and back into action when my preferred gunners weren't around, or I'd drive a lightning in support of armor, driving aggressively and acting as bait to draw fire away from the MBTs, and falling back when they did to assist with repairs.

I also loved taking my Lightning solo, or with a buddy in a Lightning, trunks filled with ACEs to a forward position where we figured reinforcing enemy armor traffic would come through. I'd set up mines, wait patiently, and then go "HEY LOOK I'M A LIGHTNING COME KILL ME," and then bait the tank through a minefield.
Old 2012-05-14, 06:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Artimus
Master Sergeant

Yes Combat Engineer was the sh** by far my favorite class. I loved setting up a cloak bubble as lines of tanks would drive in and my fellow engineers and I repaired them. Also staying behind after we repelled an attack and reinforcing a base with CE. I would hope to see some sort of weapons thats exclusive for engineers thats not so much effective at kills but morely at keeping the enemy suppresed. Like a LMG of some sort.
Old 2012-05-15, 04:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #10
Mezorin
Corporal

Let's not forget the medics, and infiltrators for recon as well. Behind every good Galaxy drop team were at least a couple of amazing dedicated medics (at least before EVERYONE had adv. medic) keeping the squad alive, and that should definitely be brought back.

As for infiltrators, please please PLEASE take out the stupid command tool "3. Reveal Enemies" and give us the spot tools we need so we have a real job to do as a support class. Rather than being kill whores, recon snipers should be masters at Map Awareness and ninja recon teams (along with LAV skirmishers and aerial recon) should be the go-to guys for outfit commanders looking to get a sneak look at enemy weak points behind their lines.
Old 2012-05-15, 06:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #11
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Mezorin View Post
Let's not forget the medics.
"Did someone page me?"

I love playing support roles. I just hope medics will get cool skills and decent weapons.

Anyways I did a Med Corp logo for TR so any medics can use it as an avvy:

Old 2012-05-15, 06:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #12
Kran De Loy
Captain

The only downside I see about the Mana turrets compared to the Spitfire is that manned turrets will make the player bored if he's left alone too long. So if the battle moves forward so should the Gunner and thus the Mana Turret. This will make it more difficult for the team pushing into enemy held territory because the old flanks that were being denied earlier now have less support covering them.

Everything other difference between the Mana Turret and the Spitfire is just that, a difference. In ever aspect but the one that I mentioned the Mana turret still fills all of the same roles and problems of the old Spitfire.

Also the Engi is gonna have all those mines to play with, supposedly the Engi is also the explosives expert in PS2. So I can see a lot of people having a lot of fun with that aspect.

Last edited by Kran De Loy; 2012-05-15 at 06:39 AM.
Old 2012-05-15, 06:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #13
Kipper
Captain

I'd say that turrets are defensive positions by their nature, so not too much worry about pushing forward and being left behind since you're probably fighting to stay where you are and not be pushed back...

....and if you have to move - disassemble and rebuild in a new location
Old 2012-05-15, 07:41 AM   [Ignore Me] #14
kaffis
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
I'd say that turrets are defensive positions by their nature, so not too much worry about pushing forward and being left behind since you're probably fighting to stay where you are and not be pushed back...

....and if you have to move - disassemble and rebuild in a new location
This.

Mana Turrets are about creating a strong point to rally or bolster an active defense, not creating speed bumps and obstacles for the opposing force.

If you're bored in a Mana Turret, you're doing it wrong.
Old 2012-05-15, 08:33 AM   [Ignore Me] #15
Pyreal
First Sergeant

There may be a side-grade to make the turret an proximity/motion activated auto turret at the loss of power or endurance. Never know.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion