Feel a little betrayed by tech test - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: The key of the success
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-21, 08:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #16
Sephirex
Major

Re: Feel a little betrayed by tech test

Almost seems like they went out of their way to get non-vets and people without keys, based on the people I'm hearing getting invites.

Not sure what's up. Maybe they want to make sure everything's up to par before they get the more rabid fans in.

I did notice that idiot who posted the youtube video, referred to it as a stress test weekend and made it sound like he wouldn't be seeing the rest of the game. Of course, he was full of misinformation so who knows.

Last edited by Sephirex; 2012-07-21 at 08:12 PM.
Old 2012-07-21, 08:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #17
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Greenthy View Post
Clearly you misheard, as it's about there always being 'a guy' that will QQ because he thinks he's entitled more than somebody else who got in.
(As will be the case in a gradually ramped up beta)

Priority users and non-priority users however =
clear distinction between the two.
It is even if you pick from the priority list, you'll still get ppl to QQ in this manner.

If these players stay in beta (not saying they can't) it would just mean their views on the priority list are not the same as the community has understood them to be.
Thats what i was saying...
Old 2012-07-21, 08:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #18
Ranik Ortega
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
Almost seems like they went out of their way to get non-vets and people without keys, based on the people I'm hearing getting invites.

Not sure what's up. Maybe they want to make sure everything's up to par before they get the more rabid fans in.
I hope they are not listening to crap advice from non vets. There are enough poor changes as is.
Old 2012-07-21, 08:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
counterlogic
Private

I think this is all moot. Pretty much every vet I know with a leet computer thats been closely following the game got in by last night. I myself am not included in this list but I expected that due to computer specs. Only know one or two with non 'leet' specs that got in, and even still much better than mine.
Old 2012-07-21, 08:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Radant-J
Corporal

Originally Posted by TheDAWinz View Post
Uhh hate to break it to you, but not even 5% of the population that will play Planetside 2 posts on these forums, hell, out of the 20 friends i know who i showed planetside 2 to and have beta keys want to get their hands on the game so badly. They show great interest, but they don't post on these forums. This is a fansite, not official.
I agree. If anything, the number is LESS than 5%. The amount of players who will play PS2 dwarfs the number of PS1 players, especially those who post on forums official or not.

So basically, we have this small upper-crust of the playerbase who has experience with the series, with First Person Shooters, with balance [more or less], and perhaps most of all, with the frustrations of the first game's shortcomings.

If I wanted to create an awesome product, I would seek these people out first, and ask them if the new product was more enjoyable than the last, and invite them to try to break it, because you had better believe those who have little to no love for PS will be the first to attempt to hack and exploit it
Old 2012-07-21, 08:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by Ranik Ortega View Post
I hope they are not listening to crap advice from non vets. There are enough poor changes as is.
It's a tech test. They're not looking at balancing.
Old 2012-07-21, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
OutlawDr
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Radant-J View Post
Of all the anecdotes and stories posted here about who got into the tech test, now that it is basically over, it seems the vast majority [if not 100%] of the tech-testers weren't PS1 vets, but rather the lowest priority beta invitees.

Honestly, this is getting silly
Old 2012-07-21, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
It's a tech test. They're not looking at balancing.
That will be beta
Old 2012-07-21, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
BlueSkies
Staff Sergeant

There are vets in the tech test. You just aren't one of them.
Old 2012-07-21, 08:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Greenthy
Sergeant

Originally Posted by TheDAWinz View Post
Thats what i was saying...
I know that was wat you were saying in principal, but posting it on this thread is more like saying it also goes for these cases (non priority getting in before priority). While priority > non-priority is the general offically communicated order of the invites.

Hence if we conclude that it's normal that priority > non-priority : It is strange that they couldn't find the specs in the priority pool, and thus said arguments (OP) are a bit weird.
Old 2012-07-21, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Greenthy View Post
I know that was wat you were saying in principal, but posting it on this thread is more like saying it also goes for these cases (non priority getting in before priority). While priority > non-priority is the general offically communicated order of the invites.

Hence if we conclude that it's normal that priority > non-priority : It is strange that they couldn't find the specs in the priority pool, and thus said arguments (OP) are a bit weird.
Well, it all depends really, the priority pool will also include people outside this fansite, so that could be like, ALOT of the tech testers.
Old 2012-07-21, 08:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
GhettoPrince
Staff Sergeant

People have been playing team based online games for more than ten years now, planetside 2 is on a larger scale, but it won't take the average person more than a few minutes to adjust to that.

Playing planetside doesn't make you some kind of special super gamer.

Last edited by GhettoPrince; 2012-07-21 at 08:19 PM.
Old 2012-07-21, 08:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by GhettoPrince View Post
People have been playing team based online games for more than ten years now, planetside 2 is on a larger scale, but it won't take the average person more than a few minutes to adjust to that.

Just because you played planetside doesn't make you some kind of special super gamer.
What about project reality :P
Old 2012-07-21, 08:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Badjuju
First Sergeant

It was a tech test based on system specs alone. No reason for them to wast their time ensuring that every system not only had the appropriate specs but was also a PS1 vet for such a short test. This wasn't the stage in beta where they said they would start letting in vets. It was solely to test a range of system specs before they started the beta invites. Them giving vets priority is a courtesy as well which they didn't have to do. Beta is to help them develop the game, not to allow you early access. Quit with the QQ, beta will start soon enough.
Old 2012-07-21, 08:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Flaropri
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Radant-J View Post
Of all the anecdotes and stories posted here about who got into the tech test, now that it is basically over, it seems the vast majority [if not 100%] of the tech-testers weren't PS1 vets, but rather the lowest priority beta invitees.
Two things:

1. I dislike making an assumption like the majority being non PS1 vets based on anecdotes. A lot of anecdotes are brought about because (a) of the video by the idiot that's come up a lot in multiple threads and (b) people being upset about it happening at all.

You go on to say you know "for a fact" that there are PS1 Vets (not in the Tech Test) with the same system rig, but I don't understand how you can know that for certain, especially when you are basing the majority of your impression on anecdotes. There are of course also regional considerations.

2. Familiarity effects perspective. Just because you think something "should be obvious" doesn't mean it is, nor that it gets the attention it should get even if people are aware of the potential (or actual) issue. If you're familiar with a problem you might not test it as readily, or think it is as important as it may be.

I agree that people who are familiar with a system are better able to test things like balance, but different perspectives could help bring into question what mechanisms can be problematic to those who aren't familiar, or even whether or not mechanisms should exist in the first place. And that kind of feedback should occur at a relatively early stage to avoid having more and more balance based on it if it needs to be changed or removed.

Ultimately, my second point isn't too important, it just addresses much of your own post.

While they are no doubt getting game-play feedback during Tech Test it isn't the reason or focus of the test itself. I would honestly be disappointed as well if SOE didn't pull from Priority lists first and just went at random... and I'm NOT on Priority Lists (I don't even have a Key) but I don't think it's important enough to be a problem, just mildly disappointing that they aren't that well organized.
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion