News: February 13 Patch Maintenance Infiltrator Update - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Like corn, enjoy it a second time!
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2014-02-14, 06:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Re: February 13 Patch Maintenance Infiltrator Update

A crossbow in planetside...seriously?

I think at this point they officially have given up even pretending to make an original fps. What's next on their list? Lockboxes? Different teabagging styles? Eric cartman voice packs?

God this game sucks more and more each time i'm checking its "progress"... and yeah, i probably should just refrain from checking it out.
Old 2014-02-14, 06:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
almalino
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Babyfark McGeez View Post
A crossbow in planetside...seriously?
Are you telling that crossbow is not futuristic enough? :=)
Old 2014-02-14, 08:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
almalino
First Sergeant

I think this video I just found sums up Stalker cloak pretty well.

1. Trolling at the enemy sunderer
2. Ninja capping of points
3. Darklight usage
4. Some arbitrary "Staing with enemy squads and kill from the back"

Can't wait to play it tomorrow.

Last edited by almalino; 2014-02-14 at 08:19 AM.
Old 2014-02-14, 08:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #19
Babyfark McGeez
Captain

Originally Posted by almalino View Post
Are you telling that crossbow is not futuristic enough? :=)
Well, that too, yes, but that is more a question of personal preference i guess...even though a crossbow as a weapon in a futuristic war sounds really, really stupid to me, regardless of how you can spin it.

But i was more on about the level of creativity and originality that lies in just copying everything from the standard, bland shooterware. Which is about no level at all and a running theme for this project by now.

I mean at this point you probably would have a hard time figuring out which game is which when you put screenshots of call of duty, battlefield and planetside next to next, even though one of them is supposed to show a war in a different time and area of space.

And that's just a shame. I know, it's the dead horse thing again and this ship has long sailed to corporate waters with no return, but man, each time i look onto here i see another "feature" that just feels like a slap in the face and an insult to the planetside idea.
Especially when there were so many good ideas to be found on this very forum.

But as i said before, i just need to stop checking this game up, nothing good can come from it.
Old 2014-02-14, 09:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #20
Palerion
Sergeant Major

I think the crossbow was a great addition.

What's annoying is a futuristic and original war game that can hardly ever get away from typical bullet-style weaponry (excluding the vanu). I'm glad for once I can shoot someone with something other than an automatic rifle/sniper/pistol/shotgun. That shoots the same freaking bullets.

Creative weaponry is what this game needs, and while the crossbow is a worn out concept in the FPS genre, it's bringing us one step closer to a class other than heavy assault having some unique, original, and creative weaponry.
Old 2014-02-14, 11:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #21
CraazyCanuck
First Sergeant

I would like them to spiff up the weaponry as well.

Why not step it up with different effects?

Cryogenic Grenades that freeze anyone caught in the effect. For lols allow you to melee your frozen popsicle enemies into pieces fit for my rum and coke. Mmmm tasty.

Deny an area with chemical warfare. Nades, shells, bombs.

BOMBS. Why no bombs?? Aircraft with no bombardment capability for area denial?? WHAT???
We have missles and large calibre canons on aircraft but no bombs???

We have brought this up countless times and offered ideas to spiffen things up...thus far ...nothing. Remember those new Max weapons they were working on?? That was months and months ago. Still nothing. And their creativity there was lacking and Bland. Bland. Bland.

Allow the maxes some futuristic melee options. I don't know... how bout Lightning Whips dangling from each appendage lashing out at 10m range in lue of firearms. Instead of the flamethrower they had in mind, how bout two handed energy swords to cut a swath through infantry. Want to clear out a nest of enemy maxes. Send the melee focused maxes with these new toys to clear them out.

How about kinetic pulse effects?? generate an area effect around a max? Charge in to the enemy lines and activate the pulse to knock foes on their arse and open the way for your foes to follow behind and finish them off. Think Concussion grenade effect with more ummph!

The skies the limit really but everything remains old school.

Old 2014-02-14, 03:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
VikingKong
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Falcon_br View Post
New undocumented feature: Pressing TAB will show your ping into the scoreboard, bottom right.
Coo, nice. Good catch.

Not sure sure how I feel about the crossbow. It looking like warmed-up excrement doesn't help. I don't think I could ever bring myself to use a weapon that fugly. Love the new armor, though. That shit is sexy.
And if you don't throw in your buck 'o five
Who will?
Old 2014-02-14, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
KesTro
Second Lieutenant

The problem with wanting to add all these neato effects is that I'm not sure they can with their game engine. At least not without a substantial amount of work on their part. Maybe when we get the 64bit client we'll start to see more fun an interesting things more frequently. But hey I'm not a dev so I don't know how the whole process goes down.
Old 2014-02-14, 05:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by CraazyCanuck View Post
I would like them to spiff up the weaponry as well.

Why not step it up with different effects?

Cryogenic Grenades that freeze anyone caught in the effect. For lols allow you to melee your frozen popsicle enemies into pieces fit for my rum and coke. Mmmm tasty.

Deny an area with chemical warfare. Nades, shells, bombs.

BOMBS. Why no bombs?? Aircraft with no bombardment capability for area denial?? WHAT???
We have missles and large calibre canons on aircraft but no bombs???

We have brought this up countless times and offered ideas to spiffen things up...thus far ...nothing. Remember those new Max weapons they were working on?? That was months and months ago. Still nothing. And their creativity there was lacking and Bland. Bland. Bland.

Allow the maxes some futuristic melee options. I don't know... how bout Lightning Whips dangling from each appendage lashing out at 10m range in lue of firearms. Instead of the flamethrower they had in mind, how bout two handed energy swords to cut a swath through infantry. Want to clear out a nest of enemy maxes. Send the melee focused maxes with these new toys to clear them out.

How about kinetic pulse effects?? generate an area effect around a max? Charge in to the enemy lines and activate the pulse to knock foes on their arse and open the way for your foes to follow behind and finish them off. Think Concussion grenade effect with more ummph!

The skies the limit really but everything remains old school.
For the bombs......Higby has already stated that they dont feel like they should add more weapons that can kill you from far away. Maybe when we get dome shields they might add artillery and bombs. We also have a new aircraft they keep teasing about so its too soon to make assumptions that they will never add those.

For the grenades you have to figure out the balance because if you that you need a counter. Right now this game is in need of class counters more then fancy weapons and the sooner we get that in the better.

As for the Melee, you might want to check the road map...we are getting new melee weapons, which im guessing also means the MAX weapons will most likely be put in and also we are getting equitable melee weapons.

The chemical warfare thing again, we need a way to combat that....they could be possible but I think they are focusing that sort of stuff to the environment to being more hazardous rather then being able to deny a whole area by launching chemical weapons on it and they are working on this damage over time effect right now for flame throwers as well as lava that is suppose to be on searhus.
Old 2014-02-15, 01:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #25
Mordelicius
Major

The Crossbow is my favorite new weapon they've released post-launch.

The feel, the animation (reload, everything), the damage feels so natural. This is actually very different from the xbows on PTS a week ago which really sucked. Even the ironsight is amazing. It's like rocket launcher one. I try to use it as much as I can when I'm not on support role. And every kill is satisfying. They really nailed this one right, imo, ty.

They ought to get specialized tips that do AOE or AOE Dot or Dot and cost Infantry resources. I haven't tested the explosive tip variety yet .
Old 2014-02-15, 02:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #26
Ruffdog
Contributor
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Hamma View Post

Balance
  • Tank mines are now smaller

Old 2014-02-15, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
VikingKong
Sergeant

Anyone know what happened to the bolt attachment? I was looking forward to that. :(
And if you don't throw in your buck 'o five
Who will?
Old 2014-02-16, 02:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #28
Timealude
Captain

Originally Posted by VikingKong View Post
Anyone know what happened to the bolt attachment? I was looking forward to that.
most likely coming next week when they release the sniper rifles.
Old 2014-02-16, 08:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #29
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Falcon_br View Post
Now we must fire everywhere on the capture point, and even after capturing it, because there are still cloackers everywhere!
No offense, but you sound as a spoiled CoD-kid.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2014-02-16, 10:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #30
Obstruction
First Sergeant

i've been using the stalker cloak, with adrenaline pump. it's really fun.

i'm going to use it every time i play infantry from now on. it has even made me want to get auraxium medals with all the sidearms. i am starting with the TR's standard issue, and i'll probably try the VS Beamer after that.

and this coming from a dedicated pilot who really can't stand the ground game for the most part. it's that enjoyable.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion