Active reload thoughts? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Formerly 404 - Page not found
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Yes or no would you wan't the active reloading concept in PS2?
Yes include active reload 35 17.07%
No don't include active reload 170 82.93%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-05, 10:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Elude
First Sergeant

Re: Active reload thoughts?

Might not be great as an attachment but it could be kinda cool as an implant though I don't think implants are returning in PS2 are they?

I'm probably in the minority when I say I enjoy more active features than passive features, being in control of everything versus my character in control. This would be great as an implant because most implants were actively used rather than passively controlled by the character.
Old 2012-02-06, 04:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Espion
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Peacemaker View Post
How is boosting reload speed a PVE function in a game that has no PVE? It also has a place in PVP thats why gears had it for use in multiplayer......

Higby's idea is the best implementation if it even goes in game. I see no reason not to add it, then again there isn't a huge reason to add it in the first place, a reload buff attachment is probably enough.
Gears is a SP game, the only reason it has MP is because it was expected to like all other games. Active reload was added for SP and just carried over to MP, which wasn't anything special at all. Half-assed console game was half-assed.

One of two things can happen with an attachment like this. Either it becomes basically required due to the advantage it provides and everyone with a brain uses it, or it's useless and only new players ever try it before being told it's useless. Don't even need to know the other attachments to see that...
Old 2012-02-06, 04:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Gortha
First Sergeant

@OP

I really think the devs should be concerned about other things than such a gimmick... or senseless feature.

http://z0r.de/1573
Old 2012-02-06, 05:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Mightymouser View Post
I doubt I'd use it, but I wouldn't really care if it was an add-on... With one provision: The timing needed to tap the reload key again should be a time selected from a random set; otherwise this is just begging someone to exploit it with a macro (as previously mentioned)
I though about that too, but that would also be a bad idea. I mean it'll be much like an MMORPG "crit" element.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-02-06, 06:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Gimpylung
Master Sergeant

Sounds like a built in Guitar Hero minigame for guns tbh. I can only see it being irritating, considering the wide variety of weapons a player uses in any game session, trying to remember which weapons use a timed reload is gonna be the cause of many a frustrated death.

Muscle memory gets me in enough trouble in BF3 as it is, reloading 100 round LMGs unnecessarily after a dozen shots due to being so used to reloading 30 round carbines and assault rifles.
Old 2012-02-06, 07:55 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
BlazingSun
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Here's an interesting question: what if active reload was a function on a weapon attachment? You could decide to use it, and doing so you'd give up another attachment, so its always balanced.
This active reload thing sounds lame to me in every way. I'd rather just have a weapon attachment that reduces reload time by a fixed percentage automatically.
Old 2012-02-06, 07:59 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Neksar
Corporal

Originally Posted by BlazingSun View Post
This active reload thing sounds lame to me in every way. I'd rather just have a weapon attachment that reduces reload time by a fixed percentage automatically.
This. Active Reload sounds interesting in paper to devs that want to involve their players more with the game, but it's a mechanic that doesn't really add anything. Consider that Gears of War is 3rd-person shooter. As a result, Active Reloads have a visual aspect to them that they don't have in a first-person shooter. The system had a fixed window for each weapon as well, which, while giving players a sense of having a 'feel' for their weapon, would be either exploited by macros or removed to prevent that exploitation. Compound that with the fact that Gears of War only had the feature in multiplayer because it carried over from single player, and you run out of reasons to want the feature at all.
Old 2012-02-06, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Here's an interesting question: what if active reload was a function on a weapon attachment? You could decide to use it, and doing so you'd give up another attachment, so its always balanced.
Sold. Do it, so i dont ever have to bother with that crap, and can laugh at all those fools giving up a useful attachment.
Old 2012-02-06, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Shanesan
Sergeant

Thumbs up Re: Active reload thoughts?

Here's a question, guys. I colored it for you TL;DR's.

How about a magazine system? Planetside 1 already had this practically available, just not utilized. This would also prevent scripted reloads and makes Higby's recommendation a very useful, balanced thing.

Say you have five magazines of ammo. Each has 30 charges/rounds/whatever. You fire 27 of those charges/rounds and you realize you're almost out. You reload and go to the next magazine. That previous magazine is POCKETED to be used later.

Four magazines later, you're on your last magazine. You [run out of/are low on] ammo on your last magazine. In normal games, when you're out of bullets you're out of bullets. However, you saved some ammo in the previous magazines for just this situation.

Now you have two options. Reload, which pockets the [near] empty magazine and loads up your [first old magazine/magainewith the most ammo?] which has a couple rounds in it. OR HOLD DOWN RELOAD which takes a little longer (10 seconds?) and transfers all your leftover rounds to one (or more) magazines.

This way, an auto-reload macro is less useful because it's not as simple anymore, and an auto-reload attachment to a gun becomes much more meaningful, ESPECIALLY if it automatically sorts your ammo for you.

Last edited by Shanesan; 2012-02-06 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Magazines, not clips. Sorry Sirisian!
Old 2012-02-06, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Shanesan View Post
Here's a question, guys. I colored it for you TL;DR's.

How about a clip system? Planetside 1 already had this practically available, just not utilized. This would also prevent scripted reloads and makes Higby's recommendation a very useful, balanced thing.

Say you have five clips of ammo. Each has 30 charges/rounds/whatever. You fire 27 of those charges/rounds and you realize you're almost out. You reload and go to the next clip. That previous clip is POCKETED to be used later.

Four clips later, you're on your last clip. You [run out of/are low on] ammo on your last clip. In normal games, when you're out of bullets you're out of bullets. However, you saved some ammo in the previous clips for just this situation.

Now you have two options. Reload, which pockets the [near] empty clip and loads up your [first old clip/clip with the most ammo?] which has a couple rounds in it. OR HOLD DOWN RELOAD which takes a little longer (10 seconds?) and transfers all your leftover rounds to one (or more) clips.
It's fun how I support this idea, though part of me screams that it won't do. I mean I find it really annoying and unrealistic that you don't have mags for ammo, beacause in real life pulling bullets out of one cartridge and then pining them into another takes time, unlike in computer games. I really like BF2 and SWAT series for that. But it's gonna be whinerfed for sure.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.
Old 2012-02-06, 03:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
DayOne
Captain

Shanesan's idea is an example of a mechanic that would work in an FPS and add something to the game mechanics.

Active reload is a pointless gimmick that does not have a place in a modern FPS. With the faster TTKs and overall speed of gameplay that the devs seem to be going for it would be either an easy macro that everyone would have or a chore that you needed because the advantage is too great. If it was balanced so as to not give it that huge advantage it would become pointless. I can see why you might want it but it has no place in PS2.
Old 2012-02-06, 03:28 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Shanesan View Post
How about a clip system?
"Magazines". The community has discussed this previously in a few threads.
Old 2012-02-06, 04:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Shanesan
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Oh dear! Fixed! Thanks Sirisian!
Old 2012-02-06, 04:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Elude
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Gortha View Post
@OP

I really think the devs should be concerned about other things than such a gimmick... or senseless feature.

Thanks... How about we stop suggesting other pointless gimmick features too like outfit housing, custom appearances, deploy-able bases, darker nights? I'm sorry but you're not convincing me, you're just sounding like an asshole who thinks it's pointless to work harder for faster reload speeds.
Old 2012-02-06, 04:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Vancha
Colonel

The choice between ammo pool and magazine seems like something they could let people decide for themselves by offering both. Perhaps attachments could work slightly differently depending on which you were using at the time.

Alternatively, perhaps trading your ammo pool for a magazine system + decreased reload time could be an attachment in itself.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion