Feel a little betrayed by tech test - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Coming to a computer near you.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Closed Thread
Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-21, 08:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Erendil
First Lieutenant

Re: Feel a little betrayed by tech test

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Hey, radant-j made a really good trailer for PS1, much better than SOE could ever hope to do. Show some respect.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=rlWeviMacFw

Radant <3

My only issue with the Tech Test was the survey itself. It wasn't exactly what I would call thorough. It didn't ask for basic things like sound card info, for example. It didn't even allow for people who had more than one PC at their disposal. And since I'm upgrading my rig specifically for PS2 I actually have 2 sets of specs I could've submitted, one of which is 5 years old, and one that is <1 month old.
Old 2012-07-21, 08:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Despite the test being called a tech test, no developer in their right mind would pass up collecting data on everything that is going on within PS2's tech test.

Which faction is racking up the most kills per person and with what weaponry? This is something I'm confident they can and have been tracking since the test began. Which vehicle do most people end up dying in? Which aircraft tends to crash into a building or mountain the most?

Everything is valuable, this "tech test" might as well be SOE exploiting a loop hole in terminologies to get in new bloods before the PS1 vets, but we do understand that client and server stability is a big issue to tackle. They realistically can't ask players to do a specific task repetitively: people would sooner log off. The most they'll ask of players is to not use X equipment or use only Y equipment to fight with, and possibly fill out a survey if they crash. Tech testers are just playing the game, nothing more demanding than that. "Tech" test indeed... Anyone with a lick of sense would understand this stuff happens during beta testing too.

Doesn't matter what it's called, it's a test, and they'll be concerned with everything, they're just prioritizing the issues they'll tackle and mind you, not everyone on the team focuses on the same thing. In short, I'm calling SOE out on clever, if sleazy, use of terminology. I'm biased though, so calling it sleazy might be uncalled for.

Their choice of random users over vets/PCGamer keys that in all probability have the specs they're looking for (unless there's just that few of us) supports my loop hole claim in that they're using the term "tech test" to circumvent their claim that they'll prioritize keys and vets for beta testing invites, but it's just a theory with no hard evidence to back it up.

Don't take what they're calling the current test at face value. It's more of an indicator of what state the game is in and their focus in the test, but there's literally no difference in how a player tests a tech test and how a player tests a beta test: They are simply expected to PLAY, if sometimes within non-standard rule sets.
Old 2012-07-21, 08:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Bittermen
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Bags View Post
Hey, radant-j made a really good trailer for PS1, much better than SOE could ever hope to do. Show some respect.
So what I made a trailer for PS2...

I'm just saying...

ENTIRE TEAM IZ BABIES!
Old 2012-07-21, 09:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Greenthy
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Littleman View Post
Despite the test being called a tech test, no developer in their right mind would pass up collecting data on everything that is going on within PS2's tech test.

Which faction is racking up the most kills per person and with what weaponry? This is something I'm confident they can and have been tracking since the test began. Which vehicle do most people end up dying in? Which aircraft tends to crash into a building or mountain the most?

Everything is valuable, this "tech test" might as well be SOE exploiting a loop hole in terminologies to get in new bloods before the PS1 vets, but we do understand that client and server stability is a big issue to tackle. They realistically can't ask players to do a specific task repetitively: people would sooner log off. The most they'll ask of players is to not use X equipment or use only Y equipment to fight with, and possibly fill out a survey if they crash. Tech testers are just playing the game, nothing more demanding than that. "Tech" test indeed... Anyone with a lick of sense would understand this stuff happens during beta testing too.

Doesn't matter what it's called, it's a test, and they'll be concerned with everything, they're just prioritizing the issues they'll tackle and mind you, not everyone on the team focuses on the same thing. In short, I'm calling SOE out on clever, if sleazy, use of terminology. I'm biased though, so calling it sleazy might be uncalled for.

Their choice of random users over vets/PCGamer keys that in all probability have the specs they're looking for (unless there's just that few of us) supports my loop hole claim in that they're using the term "tech test" to circumvent their claim that they'll prioritize keys and vets for beta testing invites, but it's just a theory with no hard evidence to back it up.

Don't take what they're calling the current test at face value. It's more of an indicator of what state the game is in and their focus in the test, but there's literally no difference in how a player tests a tech test and how a player tests a beta test: They are simply expected to PLAY, if sometimes within non-standard rule sets.
I agree that it isn't for the main reason of running on the player's PC, as far as I know that's the main point of a beta.

I'd say it would more likely be a PR stunt in building up hype and having less QQ while they test the servers capabilities of handling out-of-house testers.
Given it's more of testing the server (plus the added runnable spec issues) it deserves the term Tech Test

Imagine if they would've said it was Beta and that 80% of us (*thin-air number*) just isn't in yet while they test if the basics is working.
Old 2012-07-21, 09:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
DarkChiron
First Sergeant

I don't care who they choose to let into the thing, but I am baffled by people signing up for the beta of a game they obviously don't give a shit about.
Old 2012-07-21, 09:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
KTNApollo
First Sergeant

Oh, look, another entitlement thread. Lock this thread please.
Old 2012-07-21, 09:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
Littleman
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Greenthy View Post
I agree that it isn't for the main reason of running on the player's PC, as far as I know that's the main point of a beta.

I'd say it would more likely be a PR stunt in building up hype and having less QQ while they test the servers capabilities of handling out-of-house testers.
Given it's more of testing the server (plus the added runnable spec issues) it deserves the term Tech Test

Imagine if they would've said it was Beta and that 80% of us (*thin-air number*) just isn't in yet while they test if the basics is working.
Lol, I think beyond stress testing servers just to see if they can handle the load, it wouldn't matter if they brought in new guys or vets. The people following this game and NOT in yet will be pissed, regardless of what the test is called, as evidenced by the number of threads that keep cropping up.

I really do believe calling it a tech test is just a clever use of terminology. It's working on Duke after all (they have confirmed they're hunting down and squashing bugs too, btw )

A test is a test is a test. They'll be trouble shooting people's hardware for a LONG time to come. Does anyone here really think we'll be working with 600 series Nvidia cards, 3.0-4.0ghz processors and Windows 7 10 years down the road?

The most important thing they're getting out of this is server load data. For everyone else, they're just asked to play within the parameters set for them and hoping the game doesn't crash. So far this seems to be just fighting within the area designated for combat. Trust me, if people aren't having fun during the test, they won't log in. They owe SOE nothing, despite how valuable WE might think an invite is.

Again, I really don't care what they call it, they're not excluding the collection of any data they can collect. This is not a question of "how do you know!?" but rather a realistic expectation of efficient and logical use of testing.

Last edited by Littleman; 2012-07-21 at 09:39 PM.
Old 2012-07-21, 09:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Sephirex
Major

Originally Posted by KTNApollo View Post
Oh, look, another entitlement thread. Lock this thread please.
Lock 1 and 10 more rise in their place.
It's obvious what we'll have to do.
Rename the game Super Mega Sci Fi Battles Online and purge all ties to Planetside.
Old 2012-07-21, 09:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Sephirex View Post
Lock 1 and 10 more rise in their place.
It's obvious what we'll have to do.
Rename the game Super Mega Sci Fi Battles Online and purge all ties to Planetside.
Like a pheonix these will rise again, or like higby's hair.
Old 2012-07-21, 09:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
SFJake
Sergeant

All I have to add to this topic is not very useful, but there it is. Just in case: This is pointed only at people whining about not being in the tech test.

Its just a god damn tech test. Get over it, go cry a river, and then come back to your guaranteed beta spot where things are actually going to be ready to be enjoyed to a much higher degree.

Whats even more pathetic is that you basically take a promise they made to you which they did NOT break (you,re going in the BETA, not the tech test) and turn it around and spit it in their face like ungrateful brats.

If I was them, I'd strip you of your veteran rank and throw your IP on the ban list. Luckily for you, they would never treat their costumers this way.

But thats exactly all you deserve.

What a freakin' joke. How to make humanity look so sad.
Old 2012-07-21, 09:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
TheDAWinz
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by SFJake View Post
All I have to add to this topic is not very useful, but there it is. Just in case: This is pointed only at people whining about not being in the tech test.

Its just a god damn tech test. Get over it, go cry a river, and then come back to your guaranteed beta spot where things are actually going to be ready to be enjoyed to a much higher degree.

Whats even more pathetic is that you basically take a promise they made to you which they did NOT break (you,re going in the BETA, not the tech test) and turn it around and spit it in their face like ungrateful brats.

If I was them, I'd strip you of your veteran rank and throw your IP on the ban list. Luckily for you, they would never treat their costumers this way.

But thats exactly all you deserve.

What a freakin' joke. How to make humanity look so sad.
Couldn't agree more.
Old 2012-07-21, 09:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

You know... if I were the Devs, I'd probably pick all new people for tech test because I could safely ignore their balance complaints and focus on fixing tech problems instead.
Old 2012-07-21, 10:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
You know... if I were the Devs, I'd probably pick all new people for tech test because I could safely ignore their balance complaints and focus on fixing tech problems instead.
lol, that's a good point.

On the other hand, I already know for a fact that there are quite a lot of PS1 vets who are in the tech test. My bet is that the percentage of people willing to break NDA is a lot higher among non vets than vets, which is why it seems like there are only non vets currently in the game.

My guess is that they randomly selected people who met the specs they were looking for. The pool of people was probably lopsided, with more newcomers than vets, and this is probably reflected in the random selection in the tech test. My guess would be something like 1 third vets, 2 thirds non vets.

This really is a non issue. The official beta is probably going to be here in a week or two, at which point vets and PCGamer key holders are going to far outnumber the other testers for quite a while. Nobody is entitled to anything, so let's all just try and stay appreciative that we're going to get into the actual closed beta a lot sooner than a lot of people.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-07-21 at 10:07 PM.
Old 2012-07-21, 10:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Raymac
Brigadier General

Relax. There is plenty of time to feel "betrayed" when you don't get in on the first wave of real beta invites.

Old 2012-07-21, 10:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Zerik
Private

Some vets in, others not. As much as I F5'd my email, I can certainly live with my guaranteed spot in the beta not so far down the road.

Then I can hunt down my 'friend' rubbing his invite into the tech test into my face, and shoot the NC dog dead.
(and yes, he's a veteran aswell)
Closed Thread
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion