News: New Esamir Bases - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: In regular and extra strength.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Old 2013-05-25, 01:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Re: New Esamir Bases

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
The Liberators are not bombers. Bombers bomb. Liberators shoot. See my point?
Indeed. Liberators are gunships.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-05-25, 02:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Mastachief
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Shogun View Post
prophecy:

the domes will be responsible for even more airspam.
only solution: make the dome impassable by aircraft. you can hotdrop troops through the dome, but you cannot hover in, shoot and retreat behind the projectile shield.

we already have too many shield situations where this "tactic" is used. and the least thing we need is a shield that aircrafts can use to hide while reloading.
Are they not just going to get deci'ed

Average play time of 2.0hours per day and falling. Need metagame / Continents.
Old 2013-05-25, 03:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Osskscosco
Corporal

Originally Posted by MaxDamage View Post
This half-arsed pea-brained appeal to call of duty "omg vehicles don't belong here" crowd cannot and will not make it onto live in any form that looks like the one in the video.
I do not need to see it polished and finished before I judge it, I am a seasoned gamer of many franchises and indie fps titles and I can say with far greater experience than the guy talking in the video that these walls are an idea of the crappest and laziest variety.

They will reward only shotgun and peekaboo players.

As for shields, bombers exist both in reality and in game to attack bases. What purpose will libs now serve? They'll be as redundant as the Galaxy was on release.
Watch out, we've got a badass over here!
Old 2013-05-25, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Whiteagle
Major

the only concern i have is with the domeshields.

i am afraid, they will do the opposite of what they are designed for!
lolpodder esf pilots will hover up there, move a millimeter to get directly under the shields to launch their rockets and go back over the shield to reload and break missile-locks. with the lockon time being 5 seconds, flak will be the only weapon that could be used against them, and waiting to actually get a hit with a burster from inside a shield will be too frustrating.

i am afraid the pilots will abuse the shields to hell and back. they will abuse them like spawnshields are abused now for camping. i know, nobody can shoot through domes, but the pilots can hoover from firemode to safety in a second.
so the shields will not protect infantry from airspam, they will enfore even more airspam and render almost every aa useless as a counter.
Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
I share your concern on this. Could easily become just like when people wait for a vehicle to come through a vehicle shield; as in people just pointing their weapons where a vehicle will be coming through the shield and waiting.
The shield will prevent long range bombardment, that much is true. But it will also give pilots a quick way of escaping ground based AA.
If one side has total air domination it could even become as bad as it was back when ESFs and Liberators dominated the battlefield because AA was lackluster. Atm. ground based AA is often effective enough to scare away aircraft, often enough too effective.
Indeed, this is exactly why I was against raising the Flight Ceiling; It's same basic solution of seperating Air from Ground, but Infantry Protection is only guaranteed by client-side hit detection not getting them invisibly killed.

Originally Posted by MrMak View Post
On the other hand that might not be necessary since those domes are so low that anything that comes down below it will be close enaugh to be nailed with dumbfire rockets. Especialy if its atempting to abuse it repeatadly.

Another mechanic that would help stop them from partialy peeking through is making the dome "push" them to whichever side most of the aircraft is on so a liberator would for instance have a problem hovering with jsut its gun sticking inside and ESFs would have to go all the way inside becosue they would get pushed back out if they try to hover or enter too slowly.
Oooh, I like those ideas...
They could also do what the Original Game did when Infantry passed through Vehicle Shields, sllooooow them down enough that they might not pull out in time.

also, the domegenerators shouldn´t float. they need a pole or support structure. and don´t say they rest on the shield they emmit, because some of the shields don´t sit on anything either.
Agreed, especially if they put in a system for disabling them...

Perhaps they will also block Enemy Spawn Beacons from working underneath them, and we can call them Shields of Interference or "SoIs!"

but the walls and stuff look really good! looks like we finally get actual bases instead of littered containers! i wouldn´t mind, if a small number of outposts stays as open as they are, to have some outposts with a different battleflow, but the majority should be fortified like in the internal build. i like the direction they are going now!
Well to be fair I don't mind the Cargo Containers (I'd actually build a base wall OUT of them if I was on the Dev team), but it is nice that they are finally putting function over FORM!
Too often, especially in Amp Stations, you find these bits that look interesting... but don't actually serve a purpose other then sitting there...
Old 2013-05-25, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Bags
Lieutenant General

itt: people who can only get kills camping infantry whine
Old 2013-05-25, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
p0intman
Lieutenant Colonel

Misc Info

the pure, concentrated rage from those who can do nothing but camp infantry is powerful and tastes AMAZING. Please, cry more fuckers. Well done for once on this SOE!

Retired NC CR5, Cerberus Company.
Not currently playing PS2. Anyone with a similar name is not me. My only characters are listed in my stats profile here on PSU.
Old 2013-05-26, 12:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
OmegaPREDATOR
Corporal

prophecy:

the domes will be responsible for even more airspam.
only solution: make the dome impassable by aircraft. you can hotdrop troops through the dome, but you cannot hover in, shoot and retreat behind the projectile shield.

we already have too many shield situations where this "tactic" is used. and the least thing we need is a shield that aircrafts can use to hide while reloading.
At the place to make a dome shield, it will be easiest to make a flat ones (like existing gate shield but bigger)
especially for the air part (working with some interconnected pilones -better idea than floating one-), so aircraft will be very close to ground when cross them and in range for rocket-launcher.

For those who don't like a full infantery combat base, the idea of ChipMHazard is nice :
Originally Posted by ChipMHazard View Post
I do think that it's a great idea for most of the bases, and certainly the most important ones, be about battles that require multiple phases to conquer. Armor/air to get everyone here and then clear out the perimeter defenses, then have the infantry take over the taking of the interior itself until such a time when they have taken down all the gens, thus letting the armor and/or air in.
Having vehicule control area AND ground control area, so every one will work and even team work ! Could be really interesting !

Originally Posted by p0intman View Post
the pure, concentrated rage from those who can do nothing but camp infantry is powerful and tastes AMAZING. Please, cry more fuckers. Well done for once on this SOE!
Remenber me a HE ligthning driver who camp Ti Alloy or The Crown and cry again one of my outfit lib who destroy him, each time he saw him !

Last edited by OmegaPREDATOR; 2013-05-26 at 12:35 AM.
Old 2013-05-26, 07:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
waldizzo
Contributor
First Sergeant

I'd like to see the dome shields be the amp station base benefit. Lose your amp station or get cut off? Lose your dome shields.

Would be a pretty big deal on par with losing tanks when losing a tech plant.
Old 2013-05-26, 08:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
ChipMHazard
Contributor
PSU Moderator

Originally Posted by waldizzo View Post
I'd like to see the dome shields be the amp station base benefit. Lose your amp station or get cut off? Lose your dome shields.

Would certainly make the Amp Station worth fighting over. Does beg the question of what would happen if a faction does the midnight/morning cont lock. Would it become near impossible to take back anything with the enemy now having dome shields all over? Hmm, something to ponder over my tea.

Another idea:
Perhaps make it so that the bases around a facility, the ones that used to be hardspawns, have shield generators that go offline when said base is captured, when all the surrounding bases are taken the dome shields goes down for all the bases in the area including the facility.
Basicly having the former hardpoints act as generators for the dome shields at and around the facility.

*Disclaimer: When participating in a discussion I do not do so in the capacity of a semidivine moderator. Feel free to disagree with any of my opinions.
Old 2013-05-26, 07:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Singed
Private

Am I the only person who thinks the bases look really messy? Especially all those walls, it looked like everything was added without a thought and the results are claustrophobic. Also I don't like those shields. They look tacked on. ughh.
Old 2013-05-26, 07:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Figment
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by MGP View Post
WTF? Shields? So much for "combined arms gameplay". Since we're almost there, let's go all the way and create Infantry-only servers, to make those CoD-kids happy.
Combined arms doesn't mean you have to be able to combined arms camp spawnrooms.
Old 2013-05-26, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Rivenshield
Contributor
Major

I like that.

Also, from the dev stream: I keep hearing the magic words WALLS and FORTIFY and DEFENSE and stuff like that. I am in nirvana. I think we've turned a very important corner, folks. I just hope to God they can get their good work done, stabilize this bugger for the first time so everything from terrain to weapons isn't in a constant beta-esque state of upheaval, and launch the advertising blitz to end them all.

Because as happy as I am lately... I ain't seeing too many lower-double-digit BR's, and I can't recall the last time I saw a single-digit BR. We need to draw in the new blood.

Last edited by Rivenshield; 2013-05-26 at 08:49 PM.
Old 2013-05-27, 12:24 AM   [Ignore Me] #58
Bravix
Sergeant Major

I was thinking the same thing.
Old 2013-05-27, 12:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #59
Rahabib
Sergeant Major

I like this as well.
Old 2013-05-27, 01:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #60
Methonius
Master Sergeant

the bases look much better!

i will check testserver very often to see them as soon as possible.

by the way, do we have the observercam option on testserver? or is it dev only?

the only concern i have is with the domeshields.

i am afraid, they will do the opposite of what they are designed for!
lolpodder esf pilots will hover up there, move a millimeter to get directly under the shields to launch their rockets and go back over the shield to reload and break missile-locks. with the lockon time being 5 seconds, flak will be the only weapon that could be used against them, and waiting to actually get a hit with a burster from inside a shield will be too frustrating.

i am afraid the pilots will abuse the shields to hell and back. they will abuse them like spawnshields are abused now for camping. i know, nobody can shoot through domes, but the pilots can hoover from firemode to safety in a second.
so the shields will not protect infantry from airspam, they will enfore even more airspam and render almost every aa useless as a counter.

also, the domegenerators shouldn´t float. they need a pole or support structure. and don´t say they rest on the shield they emmit, because some of the shields don´t sit on anything either.

but the walls and stuff look really good! looks like we finally get actual bases instead of littered containers! i wouldn´t mind, if a small number of outposts stays as open as they are, to have some outposts with a different battleflow, but the majority should be fortified like in the internal build. i like the direction they are going now!
I agree that aircraft will try to do this. IMO I think the shields should just be removed we have so much shit to counter air now just having more defensible bases is good enough. I know ppl will always bitch about getting bombed or something. But that's part of war and I actually enjoy getting out av weapons and trying to take down vehicles even while I'm fighting infantry at the same time.

Taking them completely out of the fight I don't agree with we already have bio labs for that. Also many other buildings for cover.

Another thing is those dome shields look super tacky and don't look like they belong.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion