Pilot Ethics - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Wait, wait, you have to actually "aim" in this game?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2004-07-24, 11:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Incompetent
Contributor
InComa

Originally Posted by Electrofreak
Air Calv isnt as easy a cert as people think. Sure its easy to grab a reaver and rocket some softies, but nothing is more challenging than a dogfight against multiple enemy aircraft or trying to fight an enemy who is well-protected by AA.
Half the reason i hate pilots is holier-than-thou attitudes like yours. The reaver is the biggest skill substitute in the game. Yeah, there are good reaver pilots, some very good, but drop the fucking ego and realize pilots are the ones that hold the advantages in this game.
Old 2004-07-24, 11:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Dharkbayne
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Incompetent
Half the reason i hate pilots is holier-than-thou attitudes like yours. The reaver is the biggest skill substitute in the game. Yeah, there are good reaver pilots, some very good, but drop the fucking ego and realize pilots are the ones that hold the advantages in this game.
QF the fuck T

+200 Cool Pts
Old 2004-07-24, 11:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
I Hate Pants
General

just about everyone who plays PS is certed with air cavalry. Doesn't that go to say something?
Old 2004-07-25, 12:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #49
Dharkbayne
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by I Hate Pants
just about everyone who plays PS is certed with air cavalry. Doesn't that go to say something?
I'm certed in it, and I don't even *fly* reavers. No idea why, but about all my characters have it.

+200 Cool Pts
Old 2004-07-25, 12:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #50
Terran Sniper
First Sergeant

sputty, thats stupid. the whole point of a MISSILE is to inflict maximum damage to a target. how would that make you feel if a guy walked away from a heavy missile barrage? i know it'd piss me off
Old 2004-07-25, 05:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #51
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Terran Sniper
sputty, thats stupid. the whole point of a MISSILE is to inflict maximum damage to a target. how would that make you feel if a guy walked away from a heavy missile barrage? i know it'd piss me off
I'd know not to use it again

I don't mind dying to reavers, I mean it's a gunship and I'm a grunt, he has the advantage. But it's annoying when all they do is spam infantry with rockets, I do it on strafing runs, and try to shoot infantry with the 20mms (but I'm exceedingly poor).

Last edited by Lartnev; 2004-07-25 at 09:03 AM.
Old 2004-07-25, 09:46 AM   [Ignore Me] #52
BlackHawk
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by ObnoxiousFrog
Install the 20mm gun on the reaver in the middle of it (it originally was intended like this), and give it Enforcer-esque rockets that fire both barrels quickly but take longer to reload. This would better define the 20mm as an accurate AI weapon and the rockets as slow-but-beefy AV weapons.
Nice idea, but if you make the rockets too powerful you get the BFV Helo syndrome. Everyone flying Reavers around one-shotting infantry.
Old 2004-07-25, 11:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #53
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Terran Sniper
I can get barraged with Sparrow MAX missiles and walk away from it. I can take a bunch of Phoenix missiles to the face without dying either. Why does the Reaver have to be equipped with weapons that apparently nobody is ever suppose to be able to walk away from?

The developers would be making a step in the right direction of they turned the Reaver into an AV platform primarily, rather than an AV, AI, not-too-bad-against-aircraft, and anti-MAX one like it is now. The day the Reaver's rockets have little to no splash or greatly reduced damage to infantry is a day PS will stop being the balance trainwreck it is.
Old 2004-07-25, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #54
juggalokilla
Sergeant

thank god for strikers. Im mainly a grunt and i usually only striker down the spammers cause theyre annoying. my ouotfit all carries them with skyguards cause were all annoyed by them abusing their power. i wish i could run around in agile again, worrying about other infantry, but no, i have to spend 6 certs for rexo and av just to keep the annoying ass killwhores off my back. if they would stop spamming, i can focus on the ground more, maybe cert a plane myself
Old 2004-07-25, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Baneblade
Contributor
Lieutenant General

I have always thought the Reaver should be a 2 seat gunship. Let the back seater control a Phoenix-like missile, while the pilot uses the fixed 20mm (Gatling, not dual barrel).

Only problem I would have with it atm is no kill sharing.

Old 2004-07-25, 04:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

If they mounted the 20mm center line and decreased the rockets blast area I would still be happy. My personal best idea would be to have the reaver's rocket pod size halved, same ammo box size, damage to AV increased and AI damage decreased just an itty bit. Now mount that 20mm center line. This now makes you have to use two clips on one rexo (maybe even an agile) and standing still that long is a death trap. The fire rate of the pods should be the same.

Alternate: Everything is the same except for AV damage stays the same. Now the 8 rockets fire in a very quick salvo (nearly all at the same time). The Blast effect is halved. Now it makes it what it should be. A quick attack and run weapon.
Old 2004-07-25, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
ZjinPS
Staff Sergeant

Strykers and reavers? Just getting a lock will ward off most. But unless the pilot is connected to a heart-lung machine and a feeding tube it's going to be hard to kill a 100% reaver before he turns and burns.

As for rocket spam, war is hell.
Old 2004-07-25, 04:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
ObnoxiousFrog
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by BlackHawk
Nice idea, but if you make the rockets too powerful you get the BFV Helo syndrome. Everyone flying Reavers around one-shotting infantry.
The thing about that is that the rockets wouldn't be devastating against invantry. They would hurt one quite a bit, but one salvo of the rockets wouldn't kill a rexo, and it would take 2 near-direct or direct hits to ice an agile. The whole concept is that these be more like real tankbuster rockets in that they fire slowly, go quickly, and punch a hole into armor (that being tanks and MAX units). The advantage of mounting the 20mm in a center line is that at present the 20mm is horribly innacurate, and against infantry that isn't good. So, the reaver is forced to use a weapon whos TTK and actual ammo consumption is worse than if it hit every time with 20mm bullets. So really, the use of rockets for AI spam is a result of relying on the splash damage to compensate for the innacuracy of the alternating-fire machine guns.

Old 2004-07-25, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
Lartnev
Contributor
Brigadier General

http://www.planetside-universe.com/f...ad.php?t=24342
Old 2004-07-25, 05:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by ZjinPS
Strykers and reavers? Just getting a lock will ward off most. But unless the pilot is connected to a heart-lung machine and a feeding tube it's going to be hard to kill a 100% reaver before he turns and burns.
It takes a lot of Strikers to down a Reaver. Most of the time they'll fly in, hover, spam a few guys, get hit by a bunch of rounds, then afterburn off to repair/reload at a nearby tower/base.

As for rocket spam, war is hell.
And that's why we play games like Planetside, so we can enjoy the good parts of war without all the shitty stuff like what you see in various videos from Iraq dotting the Intraweb.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion