Death penalty in PS2 - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Captain, Jean Luc Picarrrrrd, U.S.S. Enterprrrise
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Should there be a death penalty in PS2?
Yes (ability reducing) 5 2.14%
Yes (spawn preventing) 46 19.66%
Yes (either or different form) 28 11.97%
No 155 66.24%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-05-10, 10:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Re: Death penalty in PS2

Originally Posted by Kipper View Post
I really like this idea of a spawn queue (on the respawn screen it should show the estimated queue length). It works on several levels:

Firstly, it doesn't penalize the individual for dying.
Sorry but this is plain stupid and contra-effective. Why should the others from the same empire suffer if there are few assholes who don't know how to play or overestimating their abilities dying like crazy? I hate the spawn tube timer idea. Death penalties if any should be individual.

Originally Posted by Arius
I usually die alot, so definitely a NO.
Very objective of you. Did u ever wonder why you die a lot?
Old 2012-05-10, 10:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
DayOne
Captain

The person dying probably needs all the help they can get. So no, this is not a good idea.
Old 2012-05-10, 10:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
laelgon
Corporal

Dying is penalty enough. If people aren't motivated to get better on their own, penalizing them further isn't going to do it. The more time a player spends waiting to respawn or waiting for a penalty to wear off, the more time they have to log out and play another game. This game won't succeed by catering to the nerdcore crowd that fancies itself to be professional e-soldiers. The largest portion of the playerbase is going to be the more casual, few play sessions a week, just like most of the MMOs out there. That's where a lot of the money is going to be, and SOE knows that.
Old 2012-05-10, 10:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
Kipper
Captain

Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
Sorry but this is plain stupid and contra-effective. Why should the others from the same empire suffer if there are few assholes who don't know how to play or overestimating their abilities dying like crazy?
I wouldn't anticipate the queues to be measured in minutes; unless you didn't bring enough spawn points to a location. Also, you can respawn immediately if you respawn at a location with no queue.

The balance team would obviously be able to increase/decrease the rate at which the machinery works to find something thats optimal.

I just think it makes sense that if you're assembling people out of nanites then the machinery/equipment has a throughput - which could be increased by adding more spawn tubes or bringing more galaxies, which is also a good resource sink.
Old 2012-05-10, 10:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
Attackmack
Corporal

To enable defenders taking a rest for awhile if attacked by larger but less skilled force. Also there would be no reason to avoid dying or waiting to be healed either if there was no penalty in any form. Why wait for the medic when you can die and get re-spawned nearby?

If the spawnsystem is done right, you will always prefer to survive then to die.

I was (and still am) very suspective to any form of squadspawning but from what is know so far it seems it wont be possible indoors (where many of the most important battles will take place) and dying means youll be some distance away from the battle. This fact in itself should make you very interested in staying alive.
Old 2012-05-10, 11:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Arius
Corporal

Sorry but this is plain stupid and contra-effective. Why should the others from the same empire suffer if there are few assholes who don't know how to play or overestimating their abilities dying like crazy? I hate the spawn tube timer idea. Death penalties if any should be individual.

Very objective of you. Did u ever wonder why you die a lot?
Because I'm just not THAT good at shooter games where other people are. Even though I'm not great, I still enjoy them though.
I'm not going to have any fun at all if the game punishes me for being worse then someone else.
Old 2012-05-10, 11:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Zekeen
Major

I think rather than PERSONAL death penalties, a better idea is EMPIRE death penalties - After so many death, in such a short time, in such an area, Empire respawn time is increased in THAT ONE AREA. Meanwhile, you will be able to respawn at that location in a, let's say it's super heavy fighting, so, 45 seconds to respawn, but over here, in this nearby base where no one is fighting, respawn time of 0-5 seconds.

Planetside is a war game where you give your life for your empire. We get penalized AS A TEAM! Also it's less painful and game breaking that way.
Old 2012-05-10, 11:47 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Neurotoxin
First Lieutenant

In PS1, longer respawn timers, respawning in pajamas with basic gear, and respawning with all the implants at 0, energy was more than enough penalty for death. We spawn as the class we intend to play now, but increasing respawn timers and implant charge-up time will still be enough of a limiting factor.
Old 2012-05-10, 12:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
RSphil
Contributor
Major

i dont think they will be needed. on the vids it looks like you dont spawn next to the combat area anyway. well not for the attackers.
if you want a good viable attack then the medics will have to do their job and keep ppl alive. a for the defenders, not sure on their spawn points so cant say anything on that point.
Old 2012-05-10, 12:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #70
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

they are looking to speed up combat in ps2 not slow it down.
Old 2012-05-10, 01:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Arius View Post
Because I'm just not THAT good at shooter games where other people are. Even though I'm not great, I still enjoy them though.
I'm not going to have any fun at all if the game punishes me for being worse then someone else.
That's fine. Neither am I so I won't try playing Rambo style instead I'll play support class, there's a place for everyone in this game from what I've heard. But I doubt anyone will get killed 20 times in 5 mins no matter how average they are... you'll get there only if playing like reckless zerg.

Originally Posted by RSphil
i dont think they will be needed. on the vids it looks like you dont spawn next to the combat area anyway.
there will be enough ways to spawn close to combat from what i've heard - on your commander, you could deploy galaxies etc...

Originally Posted by Rumblepit
they are looking to speed up combat in ps2 not slow it down.
Yes in comparison to PS1? Have you seen it? Running looks almost slow-motion to me, however this game shouldn't be competing with Tribes in term of speed.

Originally Posted by Neurotoxin
In PS1, longer respawn timers, respawning in pajamas with basic gear, and respawning with all the implants at 0, energy was more than enough penalty for death. .
This sound good enough for me.
Old 2012-05-10, 03:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Dont know if it was mention within the 5 pages but heres my take.

The more you die within in area, the longer it takes you to respawn in that area. IE if you are defending a base and die ALOT then respawning in that base or the galaxy parked next to the base takes longer. Its normal time somewhere else that is a fair distance away. When you respawn like in PS1 your implants take time to activate as well. The timer can be reduced by not dieing for a bit and/or killing enough enemies.

I don't know where people are getting this idea that your helping someone who is dieing alot by giving him more chances to die. Increase spawn time means you need to die less often and that means you need to l2p the game and become more skilled. It is not promoting the player to become better if they spawn willy nilly no matter how many times they die like in other shooters. Infact your going to see people more stupid stuff because "lols I can just respawn". Instant respawn is going to cause alot of sloppyness in player skill. You need to cultivate the desire to remain alive as long as possible and become a better player.
Old 2012-05-10, 03:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
basti
Brigadier General

Misc Info

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Increasing the spawn timer per spawn location is fine really. If you spawn at one galaxy and die within a minute increase your spawn timer for that location by 5 seconds up to a maximum of 20 seconds. Very sane system.
Its not Fine

Its Nessesary. Without it, you would see a massive slaughterfest.

Obviously there cant be a big death penatly in a full PVP MMOFPS, that just doesnt work. But a slight additional spawn time for each death, up to a certain point, is nessesary, or any base assault will end up in a endless slaughter that nobody can win. Thing is, if you have a skilled defending force, but just an averange attacking force, that attacking force would still win just by overwelming the defenders with numbers.
But with a longer spawn time per death, it somewhat evens out, as long as the defenders are able to hold the first few waves. Otherwise it would just be a stream of enemys coming in, and nobody can hold against that.
Old 2012-05-10, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
RSphil
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by Senyu View Post
I don't know where people are getting this idea that your helping someone who is dieing alot by giving him more chances to die. Increase spawn time means you need to die less often and that means you need to l2p the game and become more skilled. It is not promoting the player to become better if they spawn willy nilly no matter how many times they die like in other shooters. Infact your going to see people more stupid stuff because "lols I can just respawn". Instant respawn is going to cause alot of sloppyness in player skill. You need to cultivate the desire to remain alive as long as possible and become a better player.
i agree with this. i try to stay alive as long as possible in any fps i play. i always try to keep a high k/d ratio anyway. if you have no neason to stay alive and just run in guns blazing it makes the game less fun and more idiot suicide attacks will happen.

skill and tactics are whats gona make this fun for me.
Old 2012-05-10, 04:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Shogun
Contributor
General

no.
if you pilot a vehicle, you already get death penalty by losing the ressources needed to draw the vehicle and maybe a vehicle draw timer. don´t know if dieing infantry will lose their consumable items like grenades that cost ressources, too. if so, it´s more than enough penalty for everyone

stand tall, fight bold, wear blue and gold!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion