Regenerating Health?...Why? - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I wonder if this will fit... Uh... *Yanks hard* DAMN! It's stuck...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-06-06, 06:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #61
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Regenerating Health?...Why?

On the other hand, why do you feel that you should not die if you have been made isolated from your team's medics and have no healing support ?

If you really want regen, I'd say drop down health packs from people you frag but getting health benefits because you wait in a corner or avoid fighting long enough feels strange to me.

Waiting for beta to judge if it really improves the game or is simply a goto option to improve K/D.

Edit: There is one good point I see to it. Since people have regen, medics have no excuses not to be limited in healing ammo. Holding a point with minimal headcount will then be a nice challenge.
e.g. should you heal or wait it off ? how long can your squad holds this point without healing resources ?

Last edited by sylphaen; 2012-06-06 at 06:32 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 06:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #62
Thomas
Corporal

Health Regen is fine, it doesn't impact combat itself, just the wait inbetween fights. For instance, Skyrim has regen health yet you would be a fool not to bring a couple hundred health potions with you when out travelling. PS2 will be the same.
Old 2012-06-06, 07:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #63
Sturmhardt
Contributor
Major

If there is a regenerating shield, why should health regenerate? You could just have health then, no need for this double mechanic. I would not like to see regenerating health like that.
Old 2012-06-06, 07:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #64
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Although its not a game breaking feature I would prefer it if health was not regenerating and you had to use a medic to get the health back again. Adds to teamwork plain and simple.
Old 2012-06-06, 07:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #65
Kalbuth
First Sergeant

A point supporters of regen are forgetting : chain of supply.

Not having an automatic self-regen will force to either rely on external teamates using a tool, or having a little tool yourself (like medpacks) that you have to use and replenish when either your medic or yourself runs out of tool juice
There was ammo in the PS1 gluegun.

Couldn't we have a solution avoiding the PS1 "we are all self-healing medics not relying on others" syndrom, while keeping the need to checkout on our healing supply?
Old 2012-06-06, 07:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Satexios
Sergeant

For all we know those people used medpacks to start with to heal themselves.. lol
Old 2012-06-06, 08:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by DviddLeff View Post
Although its not a game breaking feature I would prefer it if health was not regenerating and you had to use a medic to get the health back again. Adds to teamwork plain and simple.
Losing the current form of health regen wouldn't really add to teamwork, same as it doesn't hinder teamwork by being in the game.

Originally Posted by Kalbuth View Post
A point supporters of regen are forgetting : chain of supply.

Not having an automatic self-regen will force to either rely on external teamates using a tool, or having a little tool yourself (like medpacks) that you have to use and replenish when either your medic or yourself runs out of tool juice
There was ammo in the PS1 gluegun.

Couldn't we have a solution avoiding the PS1 "we are all self-healing medics not relying on others" syndrom, while keeping the need to checkout on our healing supply?
Sorry, I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Are you comparing the current health regen in PS2 to PS1-style self sufficency?
Old 2012-06-06, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
?

BF3 is a great game and shows Regenerating health works well..
No it isn't, at least not if you want anything other than a constant meatgrind, and no, regenerating health doesn't work well. That goes double for vehicle health.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:17 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
sylphaen
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Satexios View Post
For all we know those people used medpacks to start with to heal themselves.. lol
It may sound but the supply chain argument from Kalbuth has substance.

In PS1, without access to an equipment terminal or supplies from backpacks, you would eventually run out of medpacks (the only non-medic healing mechanism if we exclude implants and medical terminals). However, an auto-regen mechanic does not seem to have limits attached to how much it can heal as long as you are alive.

I'll wait to test it before judging it but afaik, I think it should be limited to the light assault class, imo. Other classes can be followed by teammates so I don't see why they should get such a mechanic. However, other limited-use options to heal oneself (medkits, implants) should be available though.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:18 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
LegioX
First Sergeant

health regen in BF 3 is pathetic. You get shot, run away, stay behind corner for 5-10 sec. BOOM 100% HEALTH.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
mirwalk
Sergeant

I was watching, and I saw a real slow health regen on one of the clips from gamespot. It was most noticeable when the guy was playing a NC MAX. You can see the health slowly going up. Rather low rate IMO, but this was also on a MAX unit. One of the units that was supposed to be unable to repair itself.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
captainkapautz
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Stardouser View Post
No it isn't, at least not if you want anything other than a constant meatgrind, and no, regenerating health doesn't work well. That goes double for vehicle health.
A constant meatgrind is kinda what shooters are all about, ya know?

And regenerating health CAN work well if properly adjusted.

Originally Posted by mirwalk View Post
I was watching, and I saw a real slow health regen on one of the clips from gamespot. It was most noticeable when the guy was playing a NC MAX. You can see the health slowly going up. Rather low rate IMO, but this was also on a MAX unit. One of the units that was supposed to be unable to repair itself.
Well, it's health, so he isn't repairing, but regenerating.

Last edited by captainkapautz; 2012-06-06 at 08:22 AM.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
SpcFarlen
First Sergeant

Hate to kind of keep stating this, but this is PlanetSide 2. Yes many things from Planetside 1 will be there. but it is entirely a different game. They didnt update graphics, change some interfaces and ship it. They built it from the ground up. So saying "well in PS1...", we know. But lets forget numbers here and remember that this is a new game. Treat it as the only Planetside.

This helps discussions much better than "well it wasnt (or was) in PS".

Slight rant aside. I dont see this as a problem. It really wont effect combat that much, A)considering everyone has it. B)If you run away from a skirmish because you are low on health to regen, you are not in that fight anymore. And C) it doesnt force the need for anyone one class over the other. So that way reach person can play what they want to play.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #74
DviddLeff
Lieutenant Colonel

Yeah, it shouldn't be as quick as BF3.

But don't forget that TTKs are a lot lower than in PS1 - does that extra bit of health make that much of a difference when it takes only a second or two to die? Certainly not as much as it did in the original where it WOULD take 10+ shots to kill a rexo with a Pulsar every single time.
Old 2012-06-06, 08:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #75
Stardouser
Colonel

Originally Posted by captainkapautz View Post
A constant meatgrind is kinda what shooters are all about, ya know?

And regenerating health CAN work well if properly adjusted.
A constant meatgrind with zero spacing between firefights. No, shooters aren't always about that constant meatgrind. BF2, if your squad leader died, you had a moderate walk back. BF3, you can spawn on any squad member, and the flags are so packed you can already start shooting at the next flag(at least in distance terms, cover not necessarily).
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion