My Opinion on Whats lacking in PS - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: I dont like eggs.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-05-06, 08:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Tobyus
Private

So apparently you went to the pyromania school of rhetoric.
Old 2003-05-06, 09:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

Absolutely. Overkill is the American way, and I am bored until they bring the servers back up. After that you can win if you want.
Old 2003-05-06, 09:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Tobyus
Private

Maybe they are down to implement multiple hitboxes.
Old 2003-05-06, 09:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
InuYasha
Corporal

Ah, I see that Airlift is the sort that can't resist the low slow one over the center of the plate.

InuYasha
Who can't count the number of those he's smacked out of the park
Old 2003-05-06, 09:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Fire_Monkey
Lieutenant Colonel

Airlift - 1 Tobyus - 0
Old 2003-05-06, 09:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

It would be fine with me if they did implement multiple hitboxes. It is fine with me if they don't, too. As I've always contended, I am here for three things: Persistence of character, Massive Scale, and something else that I can never remember but must be almost as good as the first two.

I must admit, I am a sucker for the easy ones, but there is love deep within the hate
Old 2003-05-06, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Tobyus
Private

Airlift,

The problem I see with your whole argument is that you named more things that the game doesn't have than it does have. I still do not see why you feel so strongly to defend a game that has so little to offer over your every day FPS.
Old 2003-05-06, 09:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

Without all the flaming this time, you are still missing the point I was trying to make. I am not saying Planetside is the best FPS ever. That isn't even something I think, let alone would try to sell in public. I am saying that killing people with headshots generally takes less skill in my estimation, and that they are no more realistic than random damage.

I argued from the side that it takes less actual hits to kill them, but you disregarded that entirely and instead focused on my machine (which is definately solid, but not worthy of bragging about on a PC gaming forum) and my supposed medical knowledge. I mentioned my rig because I didn't want it to sound like I am whining about how people kick my ass with headshots, because I take full advantage of them in every game that has them. I just don't pretend like it is some amazing feat.

More than the computer, it's the monitor that rules over headshots. Your head is big on my screen. It isn't that difficult to aim a little higher and go for the headshots. I miss more, but there is a lot more room to miss when you can instagib someone while they are chipping away at your armor.

We can talk about the things that Planetside doesn't have, there are plenty of things. There are some very cool features that were promised but are not there, we can talk about those too (until the servers come up, then this place is gonna be kinda quiet for a while). The thing we're not talking about so far is all the things planetside has that other very good FPSes don't.

If you want, I'll tell you the secret of why planetside is more fun for me than it is for you, but this post is already too many fuckin words.
Old 2003-05-06, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #69
Tobyus
Private

I have fun in the game. I also am not paying for the game. I am not having enough fun to influence me to buy it + pay monthly for it. I have paid to play EQ, DAOC, Anarchy Online, and Earth and Beyond, but the MMORPG genre has really worn me thin. I have come back to my true love of First person shooter's and have found some really well built games. I have found BF1942 to be a great game, and it has base capping, vehicles, respawn timers, and heated battles of up to 64 people.

In Planetside I have yet to have more than 30 people on my screen at one time, but I also only get to play really late at night when servers only have about 2k people playing. Planetside does not play near as smooth as Battlefield 1942, it has lag issues (most of the time they aren't too bad), and it is going to cost more to buy, and it will cost to play monthly.

EA has released one expansion for 1942 and they are about to release another. There is a community creating mod after mod for 1942 as well. Desert Combat is one of these mods, and it is a blast.

Just from comparing these two games, I don't think Planetside has enough to hook me. Maybe I am missing something, and I would love to hear what it is if you will tell me.
Old 2003-05-07, 11:21 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
AtomicBanana
Private

'Just from comparing these two games, I don't think Planetside has enough to hook me. Maybe I am missing something, and I would love to hear what it is if you will tell me.'

Thing is, you wouldn't would u? You've already made up your mind.
Old 2003-05-07, 11:44 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
staz
Corporal

Too many people are arguing about hitboxes and the such. I myself am an avis cs player. I think the idea is great, in concept, but not with freaking 1000's of players. This is the first EVER to hold that many people at once. And from what I've heard people actually get decent ping when its playable. That to me, in itself, makes this game worth trying. Can't please everyone I guess, something about 32 player fps games that I no longer enjoy. Now 2000....
Old 2003-05-07, 04:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Tobyus
Private

No AtomicBanana, I have not already made up my mind. I really want to know what I am missing. There must be something about the game that has this many people wanting to play the game, and whatever it is must make it better than some FPS games. At least in one aspect.

I really don't want to argue anymore. I know that a bullet grazing someones head will not kill them. That happens often in Counterstrike (bullets ricochet off of the helmet). I also am not trying to say that severing a major artery will not kill someone, but no FPS has implemented that yet (that I know of). I also was not saying that people who are unstable enough to attempt suicide are the experts on the human body. I was trying to point out that they usually go with the method that yields the most successful results. If they really do not want to live, they want to do it right the first time.

I also acknowledge that we are wearing full body armor in planetside most of the time, but that is common in many games. In Counterstrike you have kevlar, and bullets do alot less, and sometimes no damage at all when they hit in the protected area. In Unreal Tournament there are shield belts and armor that actually must be worked down to a certain point before players lose health.

And lastly, this game is designed to handle thousands of players per server. Each server is not technically one server. Each map (continent) may be hosted by a specific server or even several servers as well.

The good things that come from this are you are able to communicate with people who are not on the same map as you. You can seamlessly go from one server to another (continent to continent) by going through a warp gate instead of selecting a server playing a different map as in normal first person shooters.

Maybe if someone will just list their favorite things about the game.

Last edited by Tobyus; 2003-05-07 at 04:55 PM.
Old 2003-05-09, 08:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
Seabass03
Corporal

Still waiting myself Tobyus.
Old 2003-05-11, 08:15 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Salizar
Private

Now I haven't even played PS yet - I'm waiting in line for the download - but I have been surfing the boards and do notice a trend when it comes to character development in PS.

It doesn't take long to reach what I call "end game" in character development right now. It sounds like they are going to slow it down when they go to release - often people advance faster in beta then at release - but I'm concerned and here is why.

I have noticed the debate about innovation EQ - DAoC - yadda yadda yadda and I think you have all really missed the point. For the record, none of those games were innovative. The point is though that over a 4 year period, EQ has racked up some really and I mean really impressive figures when you talk about number of players and the duration they have played the game. DAoC, AC, AO.....almost all the others, pale when compaired to EQ - but why?

Length of time to get to end game. You can play EQ with a single character for 1 year 8 to 12 hours a day 7 days a week and you just might hit end game. DAoC on the other hand, you can reach end game in about 3 months. Yes, I played EQ for 3 years - and am back playing it - I played DAoC for about 6 months - I had taken 2 characters to end game and had no desire to do it again.

Why? Lack of content. Even when you hit end game EQ has soooo much content it really is mind boggling. Now don't get me wrong - as I said in the beginning I haven't even played PS yet - and I am not implying it does not have content. Rather I am simply saying that I have read more than a few people saying the same thing and that I am concerned because for me - content is king for replay value.

Content does not have to equal RPG elements - I for one don't want to turn MMOFPS's into MMORPG's we already have enough of those. Content, in my opinion should be as simple as providing players with a compelling reason to battle for territory - which is what I hope PS focuses on.

Oh well - just my 2 cents to pass the time while I wait in line for the download. Hope to see you in game!

Salizar
Old 2003-05-11, 08:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Araxis
Private

PS owns all!

Even SWG
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion