My Opinion on Whats lacking in PS - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Do you wish to pre-order Planetside: Core-Combat?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion

Old 2003-05-05, 03:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Blackout
Private

My Opinion on Whats lacking in PS

Ok first off for credibility , ive been in ps beta for about a month and have been playing more or less nonstop. aside from that, I beta tested for Shadowbane, Asherons call2, Anarchy Online, Earth and Beyond, and helped development in a less popular mmorpg elvenrule. point being, i realloy love mmog's. My favorite to date is the original Asherons call, because the dartide pvp server gave the massive RPG fans a chance to battle each other in a ruthless and sometimes actually frightening environment. The death penalties were very harsh which scared many players away, but if you maintained through the noob stages and could hold you own, it became very very fun.

As you can imagine, when i mention harsh death penalties(ie: item loss) you can see how there were serious rewards for the victor. this is why i played for 3 years. Rare items encouraged a sort of market for trading in game, and with monthly patches generating new rare items, the market was always intriguing. 3 years after release there are still items out there that you have to spend hours(or even days) tracking down, and should you be attacked while holding on of those items, it was truly heart pounding, and the same goes for finding an opponent with the items you need and attacking them, it was a rush.

ok enough babbling about dead games.
My compliment to planetside is that it is the first MMOG since AC1 which truly delivers an exciting pvp element. the rpg system really excites me and i think its an incredible step in MMOGs. However i am noticing that once you aquire BR20 or so, this game turns into tribes2, as mentioned in a million posts, there is no real reward for any of the gameplay aside from bragging rights over your killed enemies.

and whoever looted a corpse?

I think this game could seriously benefit from a rare item economy, it would give purpose to corpses, lockers, and really add some excitement to the battles.

What if there were certain facilities which developed superior weapons and armor/vehicle types or implants, that are faction specific, meaning there would be a VS facility to develop rare VS items, and should the TR's decide to take over that facility they would cut off the VS supply. but while under VS rule, every VS would rush to get their fare share of items, and store them in the locker.

also neutral facilities developing neutral items would be great, maybe only one of these facilities, and it would promote a huge 3 way war. and when you see a NC run into battle with a repeating fire rocket launcher, you could kill him and take it.

long post i know, but just wanted to mention a few points, take it how you like...

and $13 a month sucks ballsac
Old 2003-05-05, 04:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Airlift
Sig Mastah!

Ack! No!

Please don't put rares and an economy in my FPS. While I appreciate that there are many people who enjoy RPG games, there are more than enough such games on the market. Roleplayers already have more than their fair share of the MMO games, and this one is for those of us who want combat based on player skill, not character/item investment.
Old 2003-05-05, 04:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Venoxile
Second Lieutenant

Re: Ack! No!

Originally posted by Airlift
Please don't put rares and an economy in my FPS. While I appreciate that there are many people who enjoy RPG games, there are more than enough such games on the market. Roleplayers already have more than their fair share of the MMO games, and this one is for those of us who want combat based on player skill, not character/item investment.
\

Amen
go back to everquest!! lol.
Old 2003-05-05, 04:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
LeonStrike
Corporal

This has been mentioned a thousand times, THIS IS A FPS, NOT AN RPG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! With rare items, it would become more of an rpg, which, in my opinion, is a bad thing for Planetside. I love it just the way it is (except the constant crashes, lag, and all sorts of other bugs, but thats beside the point). We don't need to ruin it with more rpg, and who says that being like Tribes is a bad this?

LeonStrike, MAX and Galaxy driver of the Chaos Warriors, Heavy Divison.

Old 2003-05-05, 04:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Kalibah
Private

whats lacking is that the bases MEAN nothing really. I mean sure you get to buy a veichle or amor there- but what about if squads or outfits could "own" a base and i dunno design it and stuff

sounds too hard

but its just an idea that wont get impletemented

Shadowbane lets you design your base, walls, etc. fun imagine what itd be like to stake out a peice-a-ground in PS and build your own base! then defend it!
Old 2003-05-05, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Sando138
Second Lieutenant

The problem with BYOB (build-your-own-base) is that the territory is not unlimited. it would take maybe a few days to fill all applicable areas for base placement.
Old 2003-05-05, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Ruthless
Sergeant

forget rare items and economy. im sick of everquest.
Old 2003-05-05, 05:26 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Endodroid
Private

The game really hasn�t been fleshed out yet so to speak, the devs have said that the main focus on the beta test was to establish balance of weapons between the three sides, I have faith that there will be more content added to PS that very well might give it �purpose� to and end goal of sorts.

As has been mentioned but not implemented yet are these so called super weapons such as the elusive �orbital strike� , personally I would think it�s going to be tied to the ability to hold control of certain bases before you can unleash something like this. At any rate, this is a MMOFPS and a pretty cool one at that.
Old 2003-05-05, 05:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Zylos
Sergeant

heres what I think is missing -

1. Head shots
2. Cool Non-Maze type base designs.
3. Under 20 second respawn times.

That all i can think right now, except it doesn't make since how a medium armor can't driver most vehichles, the meduim amor is only slightly bigger than the agile armor, and why would an army make a vehichle that couldn't fit the bigger armor? Also, running with you weapons out shouldnt affect the already slow running speed.

Dance slave, dance!

Old 2003-05-05, 06:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Tobyus
Private

Yep

Headshots....definitely headshots
Old 2003-05-05, 07:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Spider
General

OMG THE CS NOOBS ARE INVADING RUNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

but seriously if you want those go back to Counter Strike! quite simple isnt it? Let the devs do what they want I for one beleive headshots suck and 20 second respawn time = zergling tactic time
Old 2003-05-05, 07:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Streamline
Second Lieutenant

Looted a corps??? i live off the dead. They're like little inventories strewn about the field. And what you might find is a suprise. pfff... and i thought this thred would have some content.
Old 2003-05-05, 07:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
Zylos
Sergeant

Spider
Veteran

OMG THE CS NOOBS ARE INVADING RUNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!

but seriously if you want those go back to Counter Strike! quite simple isnt it? Let the devs do what they want I for one beleive headshots suck and 20 second respawn time = zergling tactic time

Ok, first off, Head shots are for people with skill, do you not have skill? and the 40 second respawn time is stupid. Way too long, id rather have zergling tatic anyway, This game is mainly built around numbers anyway.

Dance slave, dance!

Old 2003-05-05, 07:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
LesserShade
Contributor
Major

The headshot debate has been done a few times too many, so there is no use bringing it back up.

If anything, I'd eventually like to see some more swamp continents like Hossin and less desert continents. A few non maze base designs would be great if new facilities were eventually added in the future.
Old 2003-05-05, 08:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Zylos
Sergeant

"The headshot debate has been done a few times too many, so there is no use bringing it back up. "

Yeah....i know. But i figure if we complain enough, they will add them in.

Dance slave, dance!

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 1 Discussion