What coms will we all be using in PS2? (ie TeamSpeak) - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: "So, a sniper and an advanced medic walk into a bar..."
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-12-15, 07:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
SKYeXile
Major General

Re: What coms will we all be using in PS2? (ie TeamSpeak)

Originally Posted by Rivenshield View Post
The hell with logging out so I can pull up some third-party app so I can only talk to a small select group of people. It's in-game VOIP for me.
you do it before logging in?...

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2011-12-15, 08:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
Zulthus
Colonel

Or you can just alt+tab.
Old 2011-12-15, 08:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
SKYeXile
Major General

Originally Posted by Zulthus View Post
Or you can just alt+tab.
yea i would not trust anything SOE dish out to be alt tabbing friendly.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2011-12-15, 08:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
Missundaztood
Corporal

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Well, I hope not. Having everyone off in their own voice chat servers feels like instancing the game to me. Everyone in their own personal playground and not playing with anyone else. If we can deliver a system that's robust enough to meet the needs of the hardcore organized outfits, and at the same time be immediately available to the throngs of new players, lets you shout orders to pubs that are in the same room as you, talk to the guys in the random galaxy you jump in to escape a lost battle, etc. that will add a whole new dimension to the MMO part of our MMOFPS.
Won't everyone just use Teamspeak or another 3rd part client?

Whilst they're may be in game advantages to using the new PS2 in game voice chat (as you point out, which will be interesting to see), there will no doubt be a few newbies about using it, but eventually as us vets did, turn to an outfit based 3rd party cleint. I'm sure eventually the newbies will do the same.

I never understand why developers put so much time and effort into in game speech engines. I know its prerequisite to any online game but really they never really wotk.

Last edited by Missundaztood; 2011-12-15 at 08:55 PM.
Old 2011-12-15, 09:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

The more I think about it the more likely it seems that I'll be using both the in game and a 3rd party.

Both have advantages that the other can not duplicate. The in game allows for an automatically created channel for me and who ever is in my vehicle. The 3rd party allows for stability and a perpetual space outside of the game. I can also see various ways that commanders can take advantage of the squad level comms while simultaneously using a 3rd party to talk to other squad leaders.

The only thing stopping the use of both systems is the hotkey setups.

And speaking of hotkey setups, PLEASE NEVER DO THE FOLLOWING AGAIN

I literally can not understand why you would ever remove the ability for players to edit their hotkeys. You can change the defaults all you'd like just leave the ability to change it back.
Old 2011-12-15, 09:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Well, I hope not. Having everyone off in their own voice chat servers feels like instancing the game to me. Everyone in their own personal playground and not playing with anyone else. If we can deliver a system that's robust enough to meet the needs of the hardcore organized outfits, and at the same time be immediately available to the throngs of new players, lets you shout orders to pubs that are in the same room as you, talk to the guys in the random galaxy you jump in to escape a lost battle, etc. that will add a whole new dimension to the MMO part of our MMOFPS.
Yes, sir. Making me mighty happy about this news. I was really hoping you guys would buff the voice chat. Cannot wait. ORGANIZED GREENIES!!

If it's as awesome as you make it sound... This will replace all other forms of communication. Especially if you can listen in on like 3 channels.

I know I plan on abusing this system. I don't care what anyone else says. Ima use it. The ability to talk to greenies = OP. The ability to have greenies hear you = OP. Think about how easy it will be to organize joint ops. Especially if you can start your own channels. DOMMA GAWD!!

Last edited by xSlideShow; 2011-12-16 at 12:25 AM.
Old 2011-12-15, 09:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
Squeegeez
Corporal

For it to work it NEEDS the voice-chat functionality to be part of the launcher itself. 1 second pop-up, choose which outfit chat, talk immediately before launching the game.

It NEEDS to be able to alt-tab the game and still talk.

It NEEDS almost every feature of teamspeak / mumble / vent.

It NEEDS the game performance / crashing to NOT crash the voice.

Sadly, it can be done, but requires a lot of effort, otherwise people will just easily flock to their regular servers. Is it worth the effort? Do you want to have external voice programs and in-game voice programs conflicting? Many people will turn off the ability to hear the people around them to better hear their outfit-mates, it's just simple and logical for them to do.
Old 2011-12-15, 09:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Squeegeez View Post
For it to work it NEEDS the voice-chat functionality to be part of the launcher itself. 1 second pop-up, choose which outfit chat, talk immediately before launching the game.

It NEEDS to be able to alt-tab the game and still talk.

It NEEDS almost every feature of teamspeak / mumble / vent.

It NEEDS the game performance / crashing to NOT crash the voice.

Sadly, it can be done, but requires a lot of effort, otherwise people will just easily flock to their regular servers. Is it worth the effort? Do you want to have external voice programs and in-game voice programs conflicting? Many people will turn off the ability to hear the people around them to better hear their outfit-mates, it's just simple and logical for them to do.
If they add in this system the worst thing that is going to happen. Especially if they add in close range Keybind chat. Along with creating your own channels and in game officer chat and in game whisper. I will just use both a 3rd party voice and the in game voice.

I see this as adding an entire level of organization into the game! It will be epic! It will make big outfits easier to manage! It will allow you to control Greenies!!!! DOMMA GAWD! It will allow outfits to work together! Besides just going somewhere with a group. You can join up with that group. Under a different flag! It allows small outfits to compete with big outfits. While still giving them that small outfit feeling!

Higby make this happen!

P.S. The only thing I can think is make it easy to mute channels/individuals. Just knowing you can be muted helps people along with being civil. Honestly I would just turn voice into the chat service pretty much. If you /ignore some one it also mutes them? Sound fair?

Edit- I have a question about the outfit specialization tree. Is it going to promote smaller outfits? Are big outfits going to break up into smaller groups to make better use of this tree?

Last edited by xSlideShow; 2011-12-15 at 10:11 PM.
Old 2011-12-15, 10:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
Furret
First Sergeant

Misc Info

I personally don't see any way that they can make in-game voice anywhere near as useful as third-party software as far as organized outfits are concerned. There's just too many features in TS/Vent/Mumble that couldn't be available with in-game voice.

On the other hand, I think the automatic vehicle in-game chat is a great idea, It means I don't have to have a whisper key for my gunner, seeing as he may change throughout an operation, and I can even gun for greenies again without risking being driven away from a good kill.

Also, the players that have really trained their command tree ought to have global voice privileges, (obviously revokable if they're abused). I have no idea how that will work in the long run, when you have the same over-saturation of high-level commanders all trying to speak over each other at once, but that's not my problem to worry about. ;D
Old 2011-12-15, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
MockZero2
Private

This is exciting!!! I dig TS3 a lot and it looks like no one is buying into the in game VOIP right out of the gate. If it is robust enough I think it will end up being the VOIP of choice.

SO many times have I walked up to a backdoor battle and wished I could yell out to the greenies beside me SNIPER ON THE LEFT SIDE!!!!

Or jump in a GG and pick up some greenie gunners, but none of them can tell me whats going on and what they need from me the pilot. I can't see a darn thing being parallel to the target so this would be huge. I always thought some sort of vehicle chat group was missing.

LOVE IT!!!!
Old 2011-12-15, 10:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Furret View Post
I personally don't see any way that they can make in-game voice anywhere near as useful as third-party software as far as organized outfits are concerned. There's just too many features in TS/Vent/Mumble that couldn't be available with in-game voice.
I don't care about any of that. Making voice chat the Go-to chat choice for everybody will greatly increase teamplay. Especially when working together makes such a big difference. Outfits aside, I just see this as icing for them. Yes a big outfit going to have a 3rd part. This makes it so you don't need it.

If they make this in-game voice chat as awesome as they make it sound. In my head, then it will be very welcomed. I don't understand why people are voicing concerns about outfits not using it? They are to going to use it. Everyone will use it. You type didn't you? Well, I see this as if you have a mic. Then you never need to type. It's a rare occasion, tells from other players, and sometimes in command chat.

Edit- I can see quite a few outfits forming conglomerates. Adding in game voice even if you couple it with something like Teamspeak it just make the whole system 100 million times easier!!!! Tell me I'm wrong. Tell me how making a new channel that you can listen to simultaneously that is always open, you don't have to alt tab for, and works just as well as Teamspeak in quality. Is not a good thing. Especially for Planetside.

Last edited by xSlideShow; 2011-12-15 at 10:29 PM.
Old 2011-12-15, 10:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
MockZero2
Private

Originally Posted by xSlideShow View Post

If they make this in-game voice chat as awesome as they make it sound. In my head, then it will be very welcomed. I don't understand why people are voicing concerns about outfits not using it? They are to going to use it. Everyone will use it. You type didn't you? Well, I see this as if you have a mic. Then you never need to type. It's a rare occasion, tells from other players, and sometimes in command chat.
HAHA ya command chat in voice form is pretty frightening, Makes me think of XBOX Live and all the little running their mouths.

Maybe something in the game where if 10 people ignore them then they are banned from public channels for a day or something I dunno. Maybe they would try and police the profanity somehow.. seems impossible

Wonder if there will be an ability to GLOBAL in voice? if it is I hope it is limited. Like you can do it very sparingly somehow. That could get some kind of annoying.
Old 2011-12-15, 11:05 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
Marth Koopa
Banned

Make it so we can hear local enemy chatter. We could have epic trash talk when two squads are camping on each side of a door.

NO YOU COME OUT
NO YOU
NO YOU
MAKE ME
NO YOU MAKE ME
Old 2011-12-15, 11:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
Lonehunter
Lieutenant General

I've always been a diehard TeamSpeak guy but have had to use vent recently. But the main reason I like TS is
Originally Posted by Hamma View Post
Ventrillo has the shittiest interface in any program I ever used.
Higby, I think you can obviously see how much we value our 3rd party voice programs. TS and Vent have been a part of PC gaming longer then Planetside. They also don't require you to be in a game to use. Plus, almost any game that has tried to implement voice chat in game (beyond chatting with a team or squad in an FPS server) has not been successful.

The expectations that must be met for a voice program built into an MMO, are greater then the actual MMO it's self.

So, if you're gonna put effort, time, and resources into this, that everyone here I'm sure would rather be spent elsewhere. It can't be half assed, it can't be whole assed, it can't be Kim Kardashian assed, it has to be fucking orgasmic
And if you back in 2003 decided you wanted to play RTS games, between then and now you'd have dozens of RTS games you could have played. If you decided to play MMOFPS' between then and now, there were none

Last edited by Lonehunter; 2011-12-15 at 11:41 PM.
Old 2011-12-16, 01:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #90
CutterJohn
Colonel

You guys realize you're the minority, right? Most people won't have a clan/outfit provided ts3/vent/mumble server, or would have only done so if the voice sucked, since most people don't really care to be in a voice chat room when not playing a game.

Sure, if you are xenophobic and rarely mingle with outsiders, it won't be of much use. If you do, you'll have to learn to use it.

That said the ability to link up with chats outside of the game would be nifty for those that enjoyed it. Does vivox even make a standalone client?

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-12-16 at 01:10 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion