No macros, mouse tweaks etc. - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the mass OS Team kill
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-12, 02:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #76
ShockFC
Master Sergeant

Re: can we not have.....

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
i thought you were going to say flails.
Old 2012-02-12, 03:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #77
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

Re: No macros, mouse tweaks etc.

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
I understand the difference, and disagree with your definition of 'cheating'.

It will never be an even field unless everyone is playing on a console and using the same ISP from the same physical address.

There are any number of ways to gain an advantage. You can use 3 monitors and have a larger field of view. You can use good headphones that let you hear footsteps better. You can use a faster CPU/GPU and get smoother framerates. Even something as simple as a larger mouse pad is advantageous - you can turn the sensitivity down for more precise aiming while maintaining the ability to spin 180º without lifting the mouse.
Don't say the word 'console' pls! That always starts a flamewar!

But back to the topic. All the monitors, the good headphones, better CPU/GPU affects _your_ "input". How much and how accurate info you get from your surroundings.

But a macro affects _your_ "output". If I send my blackbelt buddy to the fight in the pub, it is not me fighting right? If I send my macros, it's not me, fighing... right?

The mousepad is a matter of personal preference. Someone likes gymnastics, others hardly move their mouses. A large mat doesn't mean anything for the latter.
Old 2012-02-12, 04:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #78
Fenrys
Major

Originally Posted by Trolltaxi View Post
If I send my blackbelt buddy to the fight in the pub, it is not me fighting right? If I send my macros, it's not me, fighing... right?
That's arguable. From a certain perspective, you are just using a different set of skills. In this case your social skill would confer advantage in a pub brawl, and computer savvy would let you create and/or use macros.

If your buddy's name was Gandalf, that would be messed up. Gandalf can change the laws of physics, aka cheating.

Or to make another movie reference, macros are like Agent Smith and cheaters are like Neo. Agents, like macros, work within the rules of the system. Neo, like a cheater, breaks the system and does things that were intended to be impossible by the creators of the system.

Last edited by Fenrys; 2012-02-12 at 04:09 PM.
Old 2012-02-12, 09:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #79
Effective
First Lieutenant

Misc Info

Player skill is something I respect. Macros are something, I don't. Because it's not skill at all. It isn't an even field anymore.
Except there is no way to be 100% certain someone is using a macro.

My Stream - http://www.twitch.tv/effectivex
Old 2012-02-13, 12:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #80
morf
First Sergeant

Look guys a macro is just a shortcut. Let's say you have a macro that puts your Jackhammer in secondary fire mode, fires all barrels, and switches to your pistol for the finish. Now let's say you miss with the triple shot... you're still committed to pulling out the pistol and now you're a sitting duck until you can get your shit back together. This is the downside to macroing. You're giving up flexibility to eliminate tedious actions and once you activate the macro, you're committed to performing the actions you set it up to perform.

It's okay to set up your hardware to suit your play style. As previously discussed, its not any different from using a joystick to optimize input. Optimization isn't cheating, it's good play. Plain and simple, if you lose to someone using a macro you got outplayed. Since when is it kosher to go around demanding that because you are doing something in an unefficient manner, everyone else should do the same?

Let's call this what it is: this thread is a bunch of bad players blaming their lack of success on their opponents' hardware setup. Why? Because it makes them feel better to tell themselves they are on moral high ground when they're staring at the respawn screen. You're not doing yourselves any favors here because you're not losing because of macros, you're losing because you're bad.

I encourage you all to buy a gaming mouse and keyboard, so you can set up a bunch of macros, and continue to lose and find out how bad you really are. The first step to becoming not bad is to realize that you are, in fact, really really bad. But look guys, it's okay to be bad. if no one was bad, how could the good players be good? there really isn't anything wrong with being bad, but can you at least stop coming up with lame excuses about it? Everyone has control over their own hardware set up, choose one that fits your playstyle, but don't be whining about mine.
Old 2012-02-13, 12:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #81
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by Fenrys View Post
Or to make another movie reference, macros are like Agent Smith and cheaters are like Neo. Agents, like macros, work within the rules of the system. Neo, like a cheater, breaks the system and does things that were intended to be impossible by the creators of the system.
Pretty nice analogy. I'd like to argue with it but I won't (like Agents could sew Mr. Anderson's mouth and could also fly etc...) I see your point. Still, I don't want to play neither against Agents nor Neos in the matrix of PS2.

Originally Posted by Effective View Post
Except there is no way to be 100% certain someone is using a macro.
If he is that skilled, I bow and salute. And I don't cry cheater when he kills me 10 times out of 10.
Old 2012-02-13, 12:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by morf View Post
blah-blah... Everyone has control over their own hardware set up, choose one that fits your playstyle, but don't be whining about mine.
Morf in write only mode in the middle of the Universe...

1 strike-1 action - that's skill
1 strike - multiple actions - that's shame (if it comes with the reassuring feel of uberness...)

What is it so hard to understand?

"Optimizing hardware" is an euphemy of cheating - or something close to it. Why don't you start optimizing your software?
Old 2012-02-13, 01:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
morf
First Sergeant

Morf in write only mode in the middle of the Universe...

1 strike-1 action - that's skill
1 strike - multiple actions - that's shame (if it comes with the reassuring feel of uberness...)

What is it so hard to understand?

"Optimizing hardware" is an euphemy of cheating - or something close to it. Why don't you start optimizing your software?
look let's say you're building automobiles by hand and selling them. it takes you 2 years to build an automobile. I build a factory that produces 30 automobiles a day. is that cheating? Just because you're a masochist who likes to do everything the hard way, doesn't make it the right way and it doesn't mean everyone else needs to do it the way you do. Different people have different playstyles and assigning a sequence of repetitive tasks to a single button isn't cheating, it's just a more efficient way to accomplish the same task.
Old 2012-02-13, 01:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
IronMole
Sergeant Major

look let's say you're building automobiles by hand and selling them. it takes you 2 years to build an automobile. I build a factory that produces 30 automobiles a day. is that cheating? Just because you're a masochist who likes to do everything the hard way, doesn't make it the right way and it doesn't mean everyone else needs to do it the way you do. Different people have different playstyles and assigning a sequence of repetitive tasks to a single button isn't cheating, it's just a more efficient way to accomplish the same task.
That is the worst analogy ever...

Also, using macros to complete a sequence that isn't intended is pretty much cheating. No matter how you put it, or think what your reasoning is. Using a 3rd party macro for something other then simply mapping 1 key stroke is simply a cheat/n00bs way of playing.

How about you just learn to play the game how it's intended? Then maybe you won't suck as much?

Then again, why should I care, it's not like you'd be a threat in game any way.
Old 2012-02-13, 02:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
Graywolves
General

Look guys a macro is just a shortcut. Let's say you have a macro that puts your Jackhammer in secondary fire mode, fires all barrels, and switches to your pistol for the finish.
That's exactly the problem. You're not the one being consistent, your machine is and all you need to do is put your crosshair over. For all I know you have a problem keeping your mouse still when you click for some reason.
Old 2012-02-13, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
morf
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by IronMole View Post
That is the worst analogy ever...
Thanks for providing rationale to back up that statement.

Your post has no rationale, just opinion about what is "intended". The fact of the matter is that shortcuts, macros and programmable hardware transcend gaming and are used in all aspects of computing to eliminate trivial input tasks. It's a reasonable and accepted way to interact with a computer. it's SETTINGS. that's all it is. i can manage my control SETTINGS however i like, and so can you. you aren't losing because i macro. you're losing because you're bad.

Last edited by morf; 2012-02-13 at 10:28 PM.
Old 2012-02-13, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
Trolltaxi
Sergeant Major

If you find adadada or reloading or whatever along these line in PS boring, you're really facing huuuge problems for the rest of your life mate...

BTW have you ever had a dinner in a real restaurant or you stick to McDonalds, fish&chips and pizza? I doubt otherwise you knew the difference between handwork and mass production... I don't even mention the difference between driving a Vauxhall or driving a Bentley. (no, not the Rolls-Royce, those are driven by a driver - and that's cheating... )

I'd say let's stop this here mate. You will never be able to reason why macros would legally replace player skill, I won't ever persuade you to live without these penis-boosters. It's pointless.
Old 2012-02-13, 02:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
Crator
Major General

Just stop talking to the cheater. He won't understand.
Old 2012-02-13, 03:44 PM   [Ignore Me] #89
IronMole
Sergeant Major

Thanks for providing rationale to back up that statement.

Your post, has no rationale, just opinion about what is "intended". The fact of the matter is that shortcuts, macros and programmable hardware transcend gaming and are used in all aspects of computing to eliminate trivial input tasks. It's a reasonable and accepted way to interact with a computer. it's SETTINGS. that's all it is. i can manage my control SETTINGS however i like, and so can you. you aren't losing because i macro. you're losing because you're bad.
Sorry, you're just illusional. Simple fact. If you HAVE to use macros, then you sir are indeed a terrible player.

Also, please read your analogy - even my 2 year old cousin would understand why it's stupid.

Really, If people like you are going to be playing this game, then it must be dumbed down much more than I thought.
Old 2012-02-13, 05:37 PM   [Ignore Me] #90
SKYeXile
Major General

why the fuck would you press like 5 buttons instead of 1, unless you're Korean.

i still dont know wtf macros you would want to use in an FPS but, straif macros...........Really?

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion