Active reload thoughts? - Page 6 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: lifes a bitch thats why i married one.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Yes or no would you wan't the active reloading concept in PS2?
Yes include active reload 35 17.07%
No don't include active reload 170 82.93%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-07-29, 04:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #76
Troika
Private

Re: Active reload thoughts?

As much I understand youre desire for such an option, I don't think it has any place in Planetside. Mostly because it would affect some empire more than others (See TR, who thrive on spray and pray). My vote is for no, until someone convinces me of something more than simply "its cool, so it should be in."
Originally Posted by Sparx View Post
adding an active reload isn't a good idea and neither is reload speed
attachment, it will give the TR an unfair advantage......
it would only make somewhat sense giving a reload speed attachment to NC & VS

the TR weapons are built for rapid firing
the NC weapons are built for high damage
the VS weapons are built for ranger & slightly better accuracy (not sure about the accuracy part)

so this idea mainly benefits the TR
HAVING 3 FACTIONS IS TO MAKE SURE THAT THERE IS NO DOMINANT FACTION, and having active reload goes against it

by the way how long does it take for the weapons to reload on their own ????
Example:

TR has 10 round mag and every bullet does 1 dam
NC has 5 round mag and every bullet does 2 dam, NC ROF is 1/2 of TR ROF

For simplicity let's say TR rof is 1 bullet/second and reload time for both TR and NC is 10 seconds.

In 30 seconds TR does 20 dam (10 bullets in 10 seconds doing 1 dam each, 10 second reload time, and another 10 bullets in 10 seconds)
In 30 seconds NC does 20 dam (5 bullets in 10 seconds doing 2 dam each, 10 second reload time and another 5 bullets in 10 seconds).

If you cut the reload time in half with active reload thingy, TR does 25 dam in 30 seconds, NC does 24 dam in 30 seconds. If the active reload thingy cuts the reload time to 6 seconds, both TR and NC does 26 dam.

So arguing that active reload benefits 1 faction more than another is not valid argument as it can be balanced to benefit all equally.

Having said all that, I really don't want to see actve reload in PS2, as I don't like the mechanics of it, but reload speed upgrade I can live with.

Edit* On second thought why not? Most times I don't have to use the active reload, and sometimes it might be a lifesaver.

Last edited by Troika; 2012-07-29 at 04:33 AM.
Old 2012-07-29, 04:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #77
Katanauk
Corporal

Misc Info

As a single player thing, yeah, but online, its abused.

I know I unleash I good 40 odd bullets into the floor every round start to get the active reload benefit as soon as I see someone. If the feature was in PS2, I'd do it there too.

Besides, the idea that reloading slightly faster than another good makes your bullets more effective is an odd and baffling concept.
Old 2012-07-29, 05:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #78
Noxey
Private

When you reload you wanna be concentrating on whats happening around you rather than a bar on your screen, also the kinda thing thats hard as fuck to do when your drunk, like pens on fifa ;x
Old 2012-07-29, 08:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #79
Tseralith
Private

What if you kinda reload the same as in Tribes: Ascend? I mean, when you've wasted all ammo in one weapon and switch to your second weapon, the first weapon will reload itself after like ten times the normal reload speed or so. It'll still be much faster to just switch weapons and reload manually, but it'll help if you happen to forget your other weapon when you're in the gunfights.
Old 2012-07-29, 09:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #80
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
NO. This is not "Gears of Planetside".

Why the hell does everyone want to make PS like every other damn game out there?

Because PS1's gunplay was as boring as vanilla. It is already like every other FPS out there...from 6 years ago...

I'm not suprised the devs and others are looking for something to spice up PS2's.

Last edited by ArmedZealot; 2012-07-29 at 09:24 AM.
Old 2012-07-29, 10:29 AM   [Ignore Me] #81
RJTravis
Private

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Here's an interesting question: what if active reload was a function on a weapon attachment? You could decide to use it, and doing so you'd give up another attachment, so its always balanced.
Why not just add in Tactical reloads stander for NC/TR "Vanu" shouldn't get this do to energy weapon systems.

Lets say are gun uses a 30 mag & has a reload timer of 2.2s when all rounds are spent.

When the player reloads his/her gun with 1 or more rounds in his/her mag the gun will have 31 rounds & a shorten reload time do to the fact he/she no longer needs to put a bullet into the chamber.

Also every weapon can have different tactical reload times thus not breaking any balance per race.

Last edited by RJTravis; 2012-07-29 at 10:33 AM.
Old 2012-07-29, 12:59 PM   [Ignore Me] #82
XxAxMayxX
Sergeant

sounds to me like it will cause depth and allow people to do montages of hiting this mark several times in a row without jaming. Also this can give you an edge in a gunfight you were likely to lose otherwise.
Old 2012-07-29, 04:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #83
Blackwolf
First Lieutenant

I could really only see this system working on long reload weapons, pretty much just the heavy AV weaponry.

Reloading non-AV weaponry would be pretty much optimized from a soldier's standpoint, pretty much routine basically. Reloading a bulky AV weapon might actually have room to improve reload speeds.

Over all I'm against the idea though, even as a mod for a weapon.
Old 2012-07-29, 04:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #84
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by ArmedZealot View Post
Because PS1's gunplay was as boring as vanilla. It is already like every other FPS out there...from 6 years ago...

I'm not suprised the devs and others are looking for something to spice up PS2's.
Gunplay is gunplay, basically. You point, you shoot. Although weapons vary, it kinda is what it is. I fail to see how a "reload minigame" adds much to it except something that's kind of dumb.

Now, I have seen some interesting commentary earlier through this about ways to go about reloading, it kind of makes it a little more complicated than "I gots these bullets in muh bakpak!" but still, it's not like it's going to really "rock the gameplay world". Guns are guns, as I mentioned, and more or less similar in nature, regardless of the game.

-edit

I would love a truly awe inspiring flamethrower, though. I'd rock that....
Old 2012-07-29, 04:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #85
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by ThGlump View Post
Btw will there be ammo count, or magazines? (so premature reload will result in losing ammo)
Couldn't be bothered reading 5 pages to see if someone answered your question.
But the only game i have seen that has a realistic magazine situation is Red Orchestra 2. When you reload, you keep the magazine, unless you shot it till your gun clicked, and when you reload, you keep pulling out full magazines until you get back to your used ones, and you could hold 'R' to see roughly how much ammo you had left, so "Empty" "Close to Empty" "Below Half" Half Full" Above Half" "Nearly Full" and "Full" So in the short term, reloading after every firefight is good, until you get to a nearly empty magazine, then you will be screwed when you run out of ammo. So i can Planetside 2 having this system, i hope they do, which would mean we have to manage our ammo and such, or this can all be explained by nanites deconstructing the ammo and putting it into new magazines so we always have a full magazine.
Old 2012-07-29, 06:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #86
StumpyTheOzzie
Second Lieutenant

how about a weapon attachment that changed it from a magazine to a drum or ammo crate?

30 rounds, 1.5sec reload -> 50 rounds 3 sec reload -> 100 rounds 5 sec reload.

change values as required for balance.

I'm also a big fan of realistic, permanent magazine objects like toppopia said.
Old 2012-07-29, 06:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #87
vVRedOctoberVv
First Lieutenant

@Stumpy

They may already have varying ammo capacities like that. Even if they don't directly, I know they do indirectly. For example the Cycler and the Super Cycler LMG, essentially the same gun, but the LMG has a drum mag. I know that's not what you meant, but you see what I mean.
Old 2012-07-29, 07:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #88
ArmedZealot
Contributor
Major

Originally Posted by vVRedOctoberVv View Post
Gunplay is gunplay, basically. You point, you shoot. Although weapons vary, it kinda is what it is. I fail to see how a "reload minigame" adds much to it except something that's kind of dumb.
Well thats like.... just your opinion man. (And mine too)

The point, is that people are giving ideas on how to improve stagnant gameplay, by giving players an option to raise the skill ceiling on gunplay through active reloading.

Microing ammo really doesn't add any skill to the game. Between fights people will just adjust accordingly. Active reloading changes the outcome of the fight.

I'm not in favor of it. But it is better than the standard point and shoot.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion