Tank-mounted AA and buggies in PS2 - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Pee'd on my lawn.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Are buggies awesome and worth implementing in PS2?
Yes, buggies are awesome and an important gameplay element! 39 82.98%
For some reason I think buggies are not awesome. (???) 0 0%
For some reason I don't care about buggies. (?) 2 4.26%
Hamma is king. 6 12.77%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-09-21, 05:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
FIREk
Captain

Re: Tank-mounted AA and buggies in PS2

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I hope buggies have more of a role than just specialized glass cannons though. I'd also like to see them take more than a few hits before blowing up. Low survivability is one thing but it shouldn't be a coffin on wheels.
I agree that they shouldn't be made out of cardboard (like the Hummvees in BFBC2), but it needs to be a lot weaker than a tank.
If heavy damage causes a vehicle to stall and stop, then a PS2 buggy should break down, but not blow up, after one direct hit from a tank or dedicated AV missile thing (whatever the tankbuster class uses).
Until we know how tough tanks are for comparison, though, we can't really figure much out.

All the more reason to force a secondary gunner to use the main gun - it warrants giving tanks more armor and, by extension, beefing up buggies.
Old 2011-09-22, 02:11 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Brusi
Contributor
Major

The glass cannon archetype is quite classic. Like Afghanis in the 80's with grenade launchers mounted on the back of a pickup. It can't take a hit...
unless its a hilux

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2011-09-22, 11:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
NtrSandman
Private

I was a dedicated Thresher driver in PS1, and I'll be uber-sad if something on par with the Thresher doesn't make it into PS2. I never really wanted to drive a tank...I have always been the type of guy that wanted the S10 instead of the Silverado, or the Dakota instead of the Ram.
Old 2011-09-23, 12:31 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Sirisian
Colonel

Originally Posted by Senyu View Post
Make buggies more mobile, faster/harder to hit, give them more accurate weapons, and a wide arsenal and they will be used. Even with all the tanks.
Exactly.

I think the harasser should get rid of its gun and just let the passenger shoot their rifle while sitting. Then let the third passenger in the back stand up out of a sunroof and shoot their rifle all while in rexo. AV would make this fun.

Always wanted a ground/air vehicle that let me shoot my gun out of it.

Not sure how the ES stuff should work.
Old 2011-09-23, 12:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Redshift
Major

Just tanks and reavers would be boring. I'd like to see buggies with a lot of speed and big guns,
Old 2011-09-23, 01:27 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Brusi
Contributor
Major

Even just being able to shoot your pistol as a pasenger in a buggy would be awesome! But rifles from a buggy + reduced accuracy due to aiming from a moving vehicle could still be balanced

I'd like to see the passenger be unable to fire while the buggy is doing crazy shit, like in the air and such... kinda like an automatic holding-on-for-dear-life weapons lock.

I think i would be pretty sad to see the Harasser gone actually...

”You can have hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players fighting against hundreds of players in these massive cluster-fuck battles

Matt Higby on the scope of Planetside 2
Old 2011-09-23, 01:43 AM   [Ignore Me] #37
Missundaztood
Corporal

Passengers shooting personal weapons out of a buggy whilst moving is just about as useful as the chaingun on the Harasser in PS1. Pointless.

Maybe some form of AV would work but pistols? nah!
Old 2011-09-23, 07:48 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Missunadztood View Post
Passengers shooting personal weapons out of a buggy whilst moving is just about as useful as the chaingun on the Harasser in PS1. Pointless.

Maybe some form of AV would work but pistols? nah!
There's loads of good stuff you could do with people being able to fire out of the buggies

imagine them being like halo warthogs, with the gunner up back, gunner and driver would be all you needed to function but you could also fit a passenger in and maybe 2 more in a couple of bitch seats.
Now they double up as troop transports, and with people firing from them those people don't get bored. Plus you still get to go rednecking, imagine a 5 man buggy flying at you with 3 hicks firing sweepers out of it
Old 2011-09-23, 10:10 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Senyu
First Lieutenant

Buggies should have more effectve anti infantry weapons than tanks. And be able to deliver harder hitting shots to armored vehicles that what a infantry can do but not to the point where it does as much as a tank. The buggy is kinda in the middle of it plus the other roles it provides.
Old 2011-09-23, 11:22 AM   [Ignore Me] #40
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Buggies should have more effectve anti infantry weapons than tanks.
By default perhaps, but if one were to mount a dedicated AI weapon on a tank, it's gonna be pretty damn big/powerful.

And be able to deliver harder hitting shots to armored vehicles that what a infantry can do but not to the point where it does as much as a tank. The buggy is kinda in the middle of it plus the other roles it provides.
Agreed. OTOH, anything you can mount on a buggy shouldn't be all that hard to bolt onto the side of a tank turret for a little extra punch. quad 20mm chaingun with a side of low-capacity-high-damage-AV-missile
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-09-24, 01:50 AM   [Ignore Me] #41
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Sirisian View Post
Exactly.

I think the harasser should get rid of its gun and just let the passenger shoot their rifle while sitting. Then let the third passenger in the back stand up out of a sunroof and shoot their rifle all while in rexo. AV would make this fun.

Always wanted a ground/air vehicle that let me shoot my gun out of it.

Not sure how the ES stuff should work.
The harasser, if it comes back, should be more like a Humvee. It needs to have a weapon worth shooting on the top of it. Not some 12mm gun that tickles but a .50 caliber machinegun that infantry can't normally carry around. That's the reason they put it on a vehicle.
Old 2011-09-24, 02:05 AM   [Ignore Me] #42
FIREk
Captain

Not some 12mm gun that tickles but a .50 caliber machinegun that infantry can't normally carry around.
.50 cal = roughly 12mm. Just sayin'. :P

Anyway, buggies should always have at least a weak, coaxial anti-infantry weapon, even if it's just the equivalent of a man-portable light machine gun.

So regardless of whether it's specced for anti-infantry (mortar), anti-vehicle (guided missile / autocannon) or anti-air (flak cannon), it should have at least a little bit of versatility. It's not like a tank with AA sacrifices anti-infantry capabilities, so a buggy shouldn't as well.
Old 2011-09-24, 02:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Traak
Colonel

I wanna see Toyota pickups with AA on them like in Libya.

Toyota. Official APC of the Jihad!
Old 2011-09-24, 02:08 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
There's loads of good stuff you could do with people being able to fire out of the buggies

imagine them being like halo warthogs, with the gunner up back, gunner and driver would be all you needed to function but you could also fit a passenger in and maybe 2 more in a couple of bitch seats.
Now they double up as troop transports, and with people firing from them those people don't get bored. Plus you still get to go rednecking, imagine a 5 man buggy flying at you with 3 hicks firing sweepers out of it
Rednecks? lol see my previous post.
Old 2011-09-24, 04:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
CutterJohn
Colonel

Buggies should not be considered any more 'disposable' than tanks. Each vehicle should be balanced on its own merits. They should be different than tanks, but not less capable. What a tank has in armor a buggy should have in avoidance.

Make them fun to drive, more difficult to survive in, but also more rewarding for those that have the skill.

In my perfect game they would all be hover vehicles, since I'm biased towards the thresher and the battlezone tanks. Empire theme could be maintained by having the VS have magic hover and TR/NC have thrusters.

Last edited by CutterJohn; 2011-09-24 at 04:01 AM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion