TR Max lockdown - Not again! - Page 7 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Perfected water landings.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-10-03, 07:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #91
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Re: TR MAX LOCKDOWN - NOT AGAIN!

Originally Posted by Kouza View Post
Don`t see a problem, the main problem with them currently is third person camping.
Can I just reiterate how awesome it will be to have third person camping gone?

It would still be cool if you could place spy cams to watch around corners. At least with those the camera could still be slightly visible and it wouldn't seem so exploitative.
Old 2011-10-03, 07:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #92
Graywolves
General

Actually, VS Max can jump over TR Max in a corridor.
Old 2011-10-04, 02:19 AM   [Ignore Me] #93
MGP
Sergeant

Re: TR Max lockdown - Not again!

Lock down on MAXes was like holding a sign "Here I am, kill me!". The next second you lock down, you'll eat up a decimator and die.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-10-04, 03:20 AM   [Ignore Me] #94
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by NapalmEnima View Post
NC's shield always struck me as more of an offensive ability (particularly for the scatter cannon). Get in close relatively unharmed, then unleash hell.
Used correctly it was a great offensive tool, specifically for breaching a defended area like a CC, gen, or spawn room. Let the shield soak up the first deci/boomer while the max pushes forward, then once they wear down the shield unload while infantry use the max itself as a shield.
Old 2011-10-04, 03:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #95
Helwyr
Sergeant Major

TR had the Pounder
NC had the Scat MAX
Vanu had the Starfire

Each had IMO the best of one category, although there were definitely circumstances where I would pick another, like the Burster over the Starfire for some Base defences. Lock down had some serious downsides no doubt, but it didn't automatically make the MAXes gimped.

The biggest disparity was with AI MAXes, those were only useful indoors, and at the ranges that fights occurred the Scat MAX was by far the best and the DC the worst.
Old 2011-10-04, 04:00 AM   [Ignore Me] #96
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by MGP View Post
Lock down on MAXes was like holding a sign "Here I am, kill me!". The next second you lock down, you'll eat up a decimator and die.
Eeeeexcept for that one day, my best kill ratio day ever, where Pele was the only blue spawn on cont, and the NC were trying to get off the plane pad.

And I had a giant AdvCE/AMS/Aegis nest up on the edge of the crater, and my TR AA max. Quite a few droppers died not long after exiting their drop pods.

Hate tell river. It was glorious. Don't tell me that lockdown sucks. For one day, in eight years, it was Awesomeness on a Platter.
Old 2011-10-04, 05:32 AM   [Ignore Me] #97
Marsgrim
Sergeant

Originally Posted by NapalmEnima View Post
Q: In a base's hallway, where jumping doesn't matter, how is an unlocked TR MAX any different from a VS MAX?

A: One is purple, the other is red.

I didn't use NC's Scattercannons as an example here because they are great in close quarters, and fairly worthless at long range. This too balances indoor vs outdoor performance (or at least tries to, I think scattercannons could stand to be dialed down a notch at point blank and up a notch or two at long range where they are WORTHLESS).
Believe it or not the VS jumpjet can be used in a corridor and is a great way of avoiding/jumping over deci's.

@Traak the problem is you remember that one day out of 2920 days...

I was in the PS closed beta and I have used MAXes extensively over the years, although not a dedicated MAX player now, but the sad fact is everyone on here talking up lockdown remembers that one situation/day/event where lockdown was great and the countless other occasions where they locked down and got owned because it's blurred into one usage.

The majority of people advocating lockdown as fine don't play TR as it is and I'd be interested to see how many TR players saying it is ok in this thread actually play at the moment.

Further to all that, you've all ignored the fact that lockdown was so situational and pointless that the Developers had to introduce Overdire - that should tell you everything you need to know.

But the discussion is not about PS, the discussion is about PS2. If, as repeatedly noted by the developers, PS2 is faster gameplay than PS then that means that lockdown is going to be even more useless. Either because a MAX will die quicker in line with everyone else, or because the gameplay is quicker meaning that (however long lockdown takes) that second or so when you lockdown/become modbile is going to seriously cost you.

So,as Redshift is continually saying, you are left with a scenario where to make the lockdown worthwhile you make the lockdown MAX incredible - which means it gets nerfed in side 2 months due to all the complaints from everyone who gets killed by it.

The issue is NOT with PS, it's with how you learn the lessons from PS and apply to PS2 - where balance of the lockdown has been so problematic that it would be better to look at another ability.
Old 2011-10-04, 06:28 AM   [Ignore Me] #98
Gandhi
First Lieutenant

I'm betting that every MAX will be able to have every feature, based on which certs and addons you opt for. Course everyone will probably opt for the jump jets then...
Old 2011-10-04, 01:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #99
moosepoop
Captain

The TR max would be completely balanced with others if lockdown is removed, and overdrive is buffed to the same level as lockdown.
Old 2011-10-04, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #100
Graywolves
General

the problem with lockdown isn't that Lockdown itself gimps the MAX.

It's that our MAX's suck when not locked down and then when locked down we're on an even playing field with the other max's who can move, jump, and shield themselves.
Old 2011-10-04, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #101
Raymac
Brigadier General

This TR Max debate has literally been going on since 2003. This horse has been beat so much that it died, came back as a zombie, died again, was reincarnated as another horse but was still-born, and still continues to be beat today. Leave Brittany alone.

Old 2011-10-04, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #102
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
This TR Max debate has literally been going on since 2003. This horse has been beat so much that it died, came back as a zombie, died again, was reincarnated as another horse but was still-born, and still continues to be beat today. Leave Brittany alone.
Yeah!... it's not like we're in the design phase of a sequal or anything
Old 2011-10-04, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #103
Kouza
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
Actually, VS Max can jump over TR Max in a corridor.
Good luck jumping over my pounder in a long corridor. (If I use one.)
Old 2011-10-04, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #104
Raymac
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Redshift View Post
Yeah!... it's not like we're in the design phase of a sequal or anything
Hey, if anybody is in favor of pure discussion it's me. But this thread has literally turned into the same tired debate that's been ongoing since 2003. I just think you reach a point of beating a dead horse when you get into minor detail balance adjusting when we are still a long ways out from beta. Just sayin. Carry on.

Old 2011-10-04, 06:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #105
Graywolves
General

Originally Posted by Kouza View Post
Good luck jumping over my pounder in a long corridor. (If I use one.)
It's been done. Auto-run, jump.

And there's not many long-corridors. An ability that only works in few situations isn't good.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion