News: PlanetSide 2 Backstory Part 1 – Jake Duffy, Terran Republic Quartermaster - Page 8 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Are my quotes that bad? I must suck...
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-10-13, 01:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #106
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Re: PlanetSide 2 Backstory Part 1 – Jake Duffy, Terran Republic Quartermaster

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
nah.. speaking realistically, the trauma from a single time would be enough to make a sane person feel out of whack for hours if not days.... doing it more than once would cause some serious ptsd's and probably make you go insane.
You're thinking of a modern person. The Soldiers Of The Future might easily have cybernetics and or chemical treatments to harden their minds as well as their bodies.

It's entirely possible that at some point they developed a way to "inoculate" against post-traumatic stress disorder. Or to induce it in a controlled way such that it becomes much less likely to happen again.

Or maybe they can "edit" your brain back towards some baseline, so even with the recorded memories of your own death, you're still okay.

Lots of way to "lore that problem it away".
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-10-13, 01:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #107
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Please remember that the NC history being portrayed is through the TR-lens. It likely has omissions or false information in it to better spin the righteousness of the TR cause. That won't be the same perspective that the NC have of themselves, and likely not the perspective the VS have of them either.

Hopefully today or tomorrow we get some NC history being presented by the NC themselves.

Last edited by Malorn; 2011-10-13 at 01:51 PM.
Old 2011-10-13, 01:51 PM   [Ignore Me] #108
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

It's almost that time again.

Lets hope for some new art, rather than another concept drawing we've already seen.
Old 2011-10-13, 02:12 PM   [Ignore Me] #109
Senyu
First Lieutenant

TR girls do it the same and comfortable

NC girls freestyle and freaky

VS girls do things you never even imagined
Old 2011-10-13, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #110
RedNex
Private

Originally Posted by NapalmEnima View Post
I agree that there needs to be some sort of victory condition, however unachievable it might be, or what's the point?

Even if the goal is to simply bottle the other two empires up in their footholds For All Time, it needs to be possible on some level that it might actually happen. Otherwise, the higher-ups SUCK. Commanders need to be able to plan ahead, to see more than the shoot out in front of them.

A sergeant and his squad should know how to kick in a door and clear a room, for example.

The LT needs to know which door to kick in, and which door comes next. When the sergeant asks their LT "what next?", the answer MUST NOT BE "I don't know". That's when you're fucked.

As you work your way up the chain of command, the goals grow larger (this building vs that, this /city/ vs that, and so on) until, at the top of the heap, there's someone figuring out what to do To Win The War.

General: "Colonel, take that city."
Colonels: "Major, take that block."
Majors: "Captain: Take that building"
Captains: "Lieutenant, take that hall"
Lieutenants: "Sergeant, take that door"
Sergeants: "YOU KNOW THE DRILL! ON THE BOUNCE!"
Grunts: FRAGGAFRAGGAFRAGGA!

Grossly simplified, but you get the idea.
Kinda reminds me of a line from Blackadder Goes Forth where the point of the massive offensive that'll kill 1000's of soldiers is so that Field Marshall Haig "Can move his drinks cabinet 6 inches closer to Berlin"
Old 2011-10-13, 03:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #111
Oty
Contributor
Corporal

honestly I think this story was good enough to recieve salary for, considering wolfmans reputation and resume... and it had some lacs in the logic, like that degradation from crp. to pvt. and also who wouldnt know after 2 weeks at the job if your boss is an officer or not, especially in the army. And it cant be that hard to pack 5 different intems from a list, dude that QM's other rookies must have been kinda retarded if they didnt nail it. And given that TR still are a strict faction why would they let a new faction excist to be neutral?
- guess that last question might be answered later.
Old 2011-10-13, 03:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #112
Vash02
Major

Originally Posted by RedNex View Post
Kinda reminds me of a line from Blackadder Goes Forth where the point of the massive offensive that'll kill 1000's of soldiers is so that Field Marshall Haig "Can move his drinks cabinet 6 inches closer to Berlin"
http://youtu.be/Jf0Lm7XwtjE?t=1m44s

"Would that be the plan to continue with total slaughter untill everyones dead except Field Marshal Haig, Lady Haig and their tortoise Alan?"
Old 2011-10-13, 04:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #113
GTGD
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Oty View Post
honestly I think this story was good enough to recieve salary for, considering wolfmans reputation and resume... and it had some lacs in the logic, like that degradation from crp. to pvt. and also who wouldnt know after 2 weeks at the job if your boss is an officer or not, especially in the army. And it cant be that hard to pack 5 different intems from a list, dude that QM's other rookies must have been kinda retarded if they didnt nail it. And given that TR still are a strict faction why would they let a new faction excist to be neutral?
- guess that last question might be answered later.
Why allow a new faction to be neutral? Remember when you were on Ishundar about to finish off the triangle and the NC hopped onto Marduk or the TR hopped onto Baal and you ended up losing the entire continent because you got gang banged? 33% vs 66%, that is why.
Old 2011-10-13, 04:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #114
Raymac
Brigadier General

$20 says they are doing 1 last proof-read of the next part of the story right now.

Old 2011-10-13, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #115
xSlideShow
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
$20 says they are doing 1 last proof-read of the next part of the story right now.
^^ lol
Old 2011-10-13, 04:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #116
NapalmEnima
Contributor
AGN Field Reporter

Originally Posted by Raymac View Post
I'll take that bet, if only because they seem to be doing 10-15 last proofreads before putting it up.

Augh!

That or they're trying to properly stage some screenshot and the frame just isn't coming out right for some reason.

Gah!
Old 2011-10-13, 05:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #117
Crazyduckling
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by NapalmEnima View Post
That or they're trying to properly stage some screenshot and the frame just isn't coming out right for some reason.
I hope its this.
Old 2011-10-13, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #118
Talek Krell
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by IDukeNukeml View Post
nah.. speaking realistically, the trauma from a single time would be enough to make a sane person feel out of whack for hours if not days.... doing it more than once would cause some serious ptsd's and probably make you go insane.
I honestly think you'd get used to it, like so many other things people are exposed to. Now that's not to say that being used to dying repeatedly wouldn't technically be a state of insanity. . .
Old 2011-10-13, 05:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #119
MasterChief096
Sergeant Major

Firstly, the week is dedicated to backstory, so don't beg for screenshots, this week is not about media, videos, screenshots, or game info, its about backstory, wait for your own damn week. If they want to throw in concept art/screenies to support the backstory they will.

Secondly, I never understood the whole "NC are good guys, TR are totalitarian shitbags, VS are batshit crazy scientists" mindset.

Nowhere were NC specifically called the good guys except within their own empire, either in-game or on newconglomerate.com back in the day.
I always took the NC as "freedom fighters". Freedom fighters can take the form of anarchists, terrorists, paramilitary groups that appear to be fighting for a just cause but are just as corrupt as the government they are fighting, rebels, etc. Freedom fighters can also be relatively good people fighting for a cause they believe in.

TR are totalitarian, easily understood. Some are just loyalists that were happy with the TR, see the NC/VS as instability threatening to ruin a perfectly fine society that the TR has provided, and are fighting to protect their way of life just as much as anyone else would.

VS are pursuing progress at the expense of morality, religion, or any other societal boundary to technological progress and understanding. The absence of death obviously would affect people's morals, and the VS probably can't understand why the TR/NC are bickering and why everyone can't understand that a new age of technology can be achieved.

All three factions are shitbags in their own sense, but at the same time all three factions are good guys to whoever feels most in line with their ideologies.

Want to fight oppression and an almost religious like zealousness in the pursuit of technology? Join NC.

Want to maintain some semblance of an organized society, take care of internal dissent, and maintain the status quo of the human race? Play TR.

Want to liberate humanity from the constraints of old forms of government and advance it to a new plane of existence? Play VS.

All three of these goals are justified and logical, they just have drawbacks to pursuing them.

To me the NC are willing to do anything to achieve victory. The TR can't fathom why people would want to live outside the realm of their empire. The VS view both of the other factions as archaic systems and can't understand why they don't seem to want to advance the technological prowess of the human species.
Old 2011-10-13, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #120
Chaff
Contributor
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Graywolves View Post
Well no, this one wasn't long at all. But it told me nothing and it just felt poorly done for me. I mean seriously, to provide us with backstory they show us the perspective of the supply bitch? At first I was like "nice, this quartermaster is cool." then it's like "nope, just an asshole who's chewing someone out for no reason at all..." and then "Oh that's nice, this girl has a family....I thought this was about the quartermaster?"

It showed a couple things that were different between the first PS and now but it just feels like a shortly/hastily written fanfic to me and if someone who knows nothing of the first Planetside reads it they literally have 0 insight into the game.

What we got was.
1)Wormhole (although it was nearly implied it wasn't around until the end of the post)

2)VS are neutrol (I don't see how you peacefully break yourself from an "oppressive" regime or even 2 warring empires)

3)NC were businessmen and Private Contractors

4)125 years of terraforming and colonisation on Auraxis.

Right now we're not aware of the state of respawning in the game, a prison doesn't imply either but a Prison would be especially useful to contain the enemy and prevent them from spawning/having access to their matrix.

I'm also curious why the Corporal became a Private mid-conversation....

Call me a party pooper, but I had a reaction similar to Graywolves.

I will sum it up as,

...zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz......zzzz zzzzzzzz....zzzzzzzzzzzz....

NOTE: I admire and respect the enthusiam of the majority regarding the back story. I will continue to attempt multiple rereads until "I get it". First impression was not a positive one for me. I was disappointed. Struck me as amateurish.

I'll keep trying.

Based on the post prior to this one, Masterchief seems capable of writing a back story more to my liking.

Last edited by Chaff; 2011-10-13 at 05:34 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion