News: Scythes chasing their target. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: How do I turn on godmode?
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2011-11-25, 02:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Vash02
Major

Re: Scythes chasing their target.

lol, that's T-Rays face your talking about there Homer.
I dont think we know if the faces are going to be animated yet.
Old 2011-11-25, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Oryon22
First Sergeant

VS are rough like an indoor cactus!

Old 2011-11-25, 03:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
RedKnights
Sergeant Major

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post

Everything I've seen has looked great so far apart from the character faces, they do look dead behind the eyes. I'm just gonna be really vocal because I don't want SOE to fuck this one up. I hope they take their time with it and release it when it is done. Which DCUO doesn't give me much hope cause it just seemed like they haven't learnt from their mistakes in the past and they keep releasing rushed out mediocre content for EQ.
I'm really not all that worried, we have one of the most vocal communities I've seen in quite some time, and it's really clear that at least the developers are listening to the player's input, at least sometimes.

At the same time this is SOE's last real chance to be relevant in the market, they can't afford to mess it up.
Old 2011-11-25, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Shogun
Contributor
General

if SOE does this one right, they will not only stay relevant, they will be the new king of the hill for a looong time! i guess the competitors will have a hard time to beat that kind of massive scale feeling for an fps! after all nobody even attempted to try anything with more than 64 players for 8 years now and there has to be a reason for that.
my guess is, nobody could overcome the challenge of a netcode that can handle that amount of coordination without too much lag.
only game that tried was massive action game and it didn´t even come near.

i hope SOE has realised that this game -done right - will be the turning point.
and there are signs, that they did!
after all, there were some bad news about SOE having to let people go and close some offices, but they decided to stock up the PS2 team none the less to keep this project up and set back some other projects instead. best SOE decision ever in my opinion!

Last edited by Shogun; 2011-11-25 at 04:53 PM.
Old 2011-11-25, 06:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
Hyncharas
First Sergeant

Yeah. Not to rehash prior discussions, but after the BFRs and the prioritising of Everquest 2, the overall development of PlanetSide went downhill. Coupled with the "departure" of Smokejumper and some fellow leads of the game, that was the deathnail. If a studio makes an MMO they should have a clear understanding of the amount of effort required, where they want to take the story that will be fun and, above all else, listen to their customers! PS failed from a devlopment (though not a community) standpoint to an extent because such lessons weren't followed. I know that a lot of developers don't talk to their fans; to many it's a cash cow and people just have to play the hand they're dealt.

From what I've seen with PlanetSide 2 so far, however, these lessons appear to have been learned. PSU successfully represents a clear line of communications between the studio and the fans, while the brainstorming site, Planetside Idea Lab, was a useful resource for the first game to devs to go to and think about how fans wanted the universe to evolve.

As long as SOE keeps listening, I think the sequel will be a real treat.

Last edited by Hyncharas; 2011-11-25 at 06:37 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-11-25, 07:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director

Originally Posted by LZachariah View Post
Yeah, I'm pretty DAMN sure that these shots are not doctored at all (aside from Morto's million-fighter ambush and the Scythe-surfing MAX's). But yes, I think the gorgeous lighting in these shots is totally accurate to what the Forgelight engine can actually do. I'm absolutely going to master being a Demolitions Engineer, but I'll sure as Hell be saving a few points to certify myself as a Scythe fighter pilot.

~Zachariah
Hold upr homie I do not doctor screenies thats straight up forgelight
Old 2011-11-25, 07:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
SuperMorto
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by T-Ray View Post
Hold upr homie I do not doctor screenies thats straight up forgelight
So not only are we getting a fantastic looking game, we are getting a fantastic looking engine?

Feels like Christmas!

So many new toys to play with!

Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-11-25, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director

Originally Posted by Oryon22 View Post
VS are rough like an indoor cactus!
That's an "indar" cactus
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-11-25, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director

Originally Posted by EVILoHOMER View Post
My only problem with these "screenshots" is they're all edited and have this weird lighting that I don't think we'll ever see in the game. When we see these and then the ones from actual gameplay the difference is night and day.

I just want them to show what it'll look like when we're playing because EVE Online does the same thing where they say the gameplay trailers are in game, but they aren't. When you're actually playing it doesn't have them edited effects in and all the blurr to make it look better and the UI covers half the screen.

Just show me gameplay so I'm not disappointed when I see what the actual game looks like.
Sorry to tell u but this is the game lighting and these are models and textures that we r shipping with. This is the game engine running as of a week ago. If you aren't believing what you see now then you are going to be shocked when we show off the game later. It just gets better and better
Old 2011-11-25, 07:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
SKYeXile
Major General

Sorry to tell u but this is the game lighting and these are models and textures that we r shipping with. This is the game engine running as of a week ago. If you aren't believing what you see now then you are going to be shocked when we show off the game later. It just gets better and better
He cant comprehend the graphics you're dishing out, they're that intense.

as previously linked:

CHECKOUT THE FOG, SUNBEAMS, LIGHTING AND REFLECTIONS!

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2011-11-25, 09:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Hyncharas
First Sergeant

The engine does look nifty; I think it would be fun to see that engine in action for non-MMO titles as well.

If the studio is opposed to any more PS2 demos so soon after the game-preview, an alternative might be to release an HD overview of the engine's features, in case you decide to license it to others in the future. I'm trying to join Sony's European Graduate Programme right now and I'm curious to see more ways how the lighting and effects systems work in Forgelight's architecture.

Old 2011-11-25, 09:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Oryon22
First Sergeant

That's an "indar" cactus
Doh!

Old 2011-11-26, 03:40 AM   [Ignore Me] #43
Sardus
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
He cant comprehend the graphics you're dishing out, they're that intense.

as previously linked:

PlanetSide 2 gameplay sneak preview - YouTube

CHECKOUT THE FOG, SUNBEAMS, LIGHTING AND REFLECTIONS!
The game has certainly come a long way. I heard a rumor that the forgelight engine was originally being developed for EQ3 when Sony management decided to screw it and make planetside 2 and use the work in progress engine as a start. I sniff an EQ3 eventually coming out looking like this too.

Twitter@TRG_gamingclan
Old 2011-11-26, 03:42 AM   [Ignore Me] #44
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

Anyone else looking at the belt feed for the reaver's chain gun? Seems like the side texture of it is made out of rounds floating in air. I've seen it used before but not inside a decade. Here's a quick pic of a belt. Yes, you can see the rounds but they're fully in closed.

Also looking at the scythes, seems like they have different upgrades. The one closest to us seems to have a much more prominent dorsal fin, though the more I'm looking at them the more I think the reflection is messing with me. Yeah, I've got no idea. Only thing is thing is that they all lack the rail beam shown in the size comparison shot so they're probably all rigged for AA.
Old 2011-11-26, 04:01 AM   [Ignore Me] #45
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by Captain1nsaneo View Post
Anyone else looking at the belt feed for the reaver's chain gun? Seems like the side texture of it is made out of rounds floating in air. I've seen it used before but not inside a decade. Here's a quick pic of a belt. Yes, you can see the rounds but they're fully in closed.
Tried to zoom/enhance and it looks like they are on a belt feeder. Wonder if it will break with a precision shot.

PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion