News: Scythes chasing their target. - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: So good it brings grown woman to tears.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-11-26, 10:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director

Re: Scythes chasing their target.

Originally Posted by mbarrett View Post
this new forge light engine looks amazing , i'm playing battlefield 3 atm and i'm loving the brand new frosbite 2 engine , just a question for the developers , how good is the forge light engine in comparison to the frostbite 2 engine , is it on par or would you say it is better ? , because you have to give dice credit for making bf3 look awesome with next gen graphics . If the forge light is better then do you realise how many doors you have unlocked for next gen pc gaming
Its. Hard to compare the two. I have not used fb2. it does look nice. I know forge light does things many of these engines cant. We will be able to get the same level of quality with forgelight
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2011-11-26, 10:24 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
T-Ray
PlanetSide 2
Sr. Art Director

Originally Posted by Coreldan View Post
BF3 doesnt have reflections on eyes, thus, Forgelight wins!

And no, I'm not serious. But seriously speaking, from what we've seen so far, I'm already much more into Forgelight than into Frostbite.
Those reflections are dynamic and those reflections are on every thing in the world just like real life
Old 2011-11-26, 10:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Captain1nsaneo
Major

Misc Info

I'm going to be upgrading this year and I'm thinking of getting a GeForce 570 GTX and going up to 8 gigs of ram. PS1 was ram heavy should I actually look at 16 gigs for really good play?

Edit: Nm, you probably can't answer this currently. I'll tune my rig based on BF3 and cross my fingers.
(Hamma feel free to delete this one)

Last edited by Captain1nsaneo; 2011-11-26 at 10:33 PM.
Old 2011-11-26, 11:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by T-Ray View Post
Those reflections are dynamic and those reflections are on every thing in the world just like real life
This is what I thought. I believe someone was accusing you of doing eye candy for the h*** of it. Told them it was a reflection.
Old 2011-11-26, 11:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by T-Ray View Post
I have no idea how you have the game running that smoothly with that many dynamic reflections, but I take you at your word. Looks awesome.
Old 2011-11-27, 01:35 AM   [Ignore Me] #66
Traak
Colonel

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
I have no idea how you have the game running that smoothly with that many dynamic reflections, but I take you at your word. Looks awesome.
Higby's computer

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Higby's Computer.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	177  
Old 2011-11-27, 01:37 AM   [Ignore Me] #67
Raka Maru
Major

Originally Posted by Traak View Post
Higby's computer

I don't see the video card specs here.
Old 2011-11-27, 02:49 AM   [Ignore Me] #68
FIREk
Captain

this new forge light engine looks amazing , i'm playing battlefield 3 atm and i'm loving the brand new frosbite 2 engine , just a question for the developers , how good is the forge light engine in comparison to the frostbite 2 engine , is it on par or would you say it is better ? , because you have to give dice credit for making bf3 look awesome with next gen graphics . If the forge light is better then do you realise how many doors you have unlocked for next gen pc gaming
Huh? BF3 just looks like BFBC2 with lots of dust and bloom cranked up to max... :P
Old 2011-11-27, 05:06 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
mbarrett
Banned

Originally Posted by FIREk View Post
Huh? BF3 just looks like BFBC2 with lots of dust and bloom cranked up to max... :P
I disagree , look at bfbc 2 then look a battlefield 3 side by side . there is a huge difference between the frostbite engine and the frostbite 2 engine , as the frostbite 2 engine is next gen graphics as to where frostbite engine is not

Last edited by mbarrett; 2011-11-27 at 06:12 AM.
Old 2011-11-27, 06:16 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
mbarrett
Banned

regarding the HA weapons , the JH , will the triple shot be coming back? and is there any secondary fire mode for HA weapons , and the inventory like in planetside , will that remain the same ?
Old 2011-11-27, 06:52 AM   [Ignore Me] #71
Xyntech
Brigadier General

regarding the HA weapons , the JH , will the triple shot be coming back? and is there any secondary fire mode for HA weapons , and the inventory like in planetside , will that remain the same ?
The freeform inventory is gone, although at this point we don't know how much or little our loadouts may still be customizable.

Hopefully it will result in little more than the loss of being able to carry an extra weapon in a magic inventory space, while still being able to customize how much ammo, grenades, etc. we have.

Worst case scenario, the loadouts are much more rigid and we can only customize our weapons and things like that.
Old 2011-11-27, 07:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #72
mbarrett
Banned

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
The freeform inventory is gone, although at this point we don't know how much or little our loadouts may still be customizable.

Hopefully it will result in little more than the loss of being able to carry an extra weapon in a magic inventory space, while still being able to customize how much ammo, grenades, etc. we have.

Worst case scenario, the loadouts are much more rigid and we can only customize our weapons and things like that.
In planetside if i wan't to use a boomer/grenade/jammer/ or use different ammo for my special assault then that would mean going into my inventory and customising my load out , same scenario as when I'm fighting , if i wan't to place a boomer then that would involve going in my inventory to select it . If this feature has been removed then i think that would be a bad decision . I think the developers should stick with the same as in the original planetside , as that is what we're all used too and in my eyes it makes sense
Old 2011-11-27, 09:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #73
EVILoHOMER
Major

The Frostbite 2 engine looks great because of the lighting more than anything. It never impressed me because it seemed more smoke and mirrors than actual great raw graphics. Crysis looked so great without the need for all the smoke and mirrors, it was just pure and graphically amazing... though the art was very generic and took away from the technical side. You see the same with Killzone 2 where it only looked good cause they put so much blurr on the screen to hide all the horrible textures and that.

What I'm loving from Planetside 2 is how crisp the textures look on the vehicles. I dunno if they'll do what they did with Planetside and hold the high resolution textures back until later on, I hope they don't. I just want to turn everything up as much as possible to push the possible 680SLI i have when this game comes out.

I do hope we wont have loads of fog covering everything though like the first Planetside, just let me see right across the map and turn everything up.

If these screenshots are really how good the game looks, I really am blown away and I didn't expect that from SOE. This is the game I'm most excited for, especially how bad SWTOR has turned out to be judging from the beta. Just cannot wait to get my hands on the real Lasher 2.0.

Last edited by EVILoHOMER; 2011-11-27 at 09:41 AM.
Old 2011-11-27, 02:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
Xyntech
Brigadier General

In planetside if i wan't to use a boomer/grenade/jammer/ or use different ammo for my special assault then that would mean going into my inventory and customising my load out , same scenario as when I'm fighting , if i wan't to place a boomer then that would involve going in my inventory to select it . If this feature has been removed then i think that would be a bad decision . I think the developers should stick with the same as in the original planetside , as that is what we're all used too and in my eyes it makes sense
The devs have confirmed that there will be no freeform inventories in PS2. As I said, this prevents carrying a Decimator or other spare gun in your inventory. However, it doesn't necessarily preclude customization of:

How much ammo you carry
What kinds of ammo you carry
How many grenades you carry
What kinds of grenades you carry
Whether you have med packs
Etc.

Now another thing that we do have confirmed is the existence of classes. These classes will allow/disallow specific combinations of weapons and equipment.

For example, not all classes will be able to use things like boomers/C4/whatever it ends up being called. While you could be an advanced medic and also set boomers at the same time in PS1, you will almost certainly be unable to do so in PS2.

This is to allow for greater numbers of sidegrade variants to weapons and equipment while allowing the devs to keep a handle on balance and make sure that most items can avoid being useless or overpowered.

As for your example of having to go into your inventory to select the boomer, this would be accomplished the same as any other form of reloading, a new ACE (or PS2's equivalent) would automatically become available for use once you used the first one. Just select it like you would select any other weapon or equipment item.

Remember that the devs can't only be thinking about what we are used to, but they also have to consider what the FPS market in general is used to. If PS2 is to succeed, it has to have a lot more than just PS1 players.

As long as we can still significantly customize our loadouts, I don't think the removal of an inventory will be too large a loss. As I have mentioned several times, the biggest thing that a lack of inventory would inherently prevent is the carrying around of an extra weapon. If that's the biggest thing we end up losing, I actually count that as a positive.

Only time and more information will tell how good or bad the new system is, but dismissing it because it's not exactly the same as PS1 is a bit shortsighted. There is definitely the possibility that we may lose very little in this change. Their general goal is to streamline gameplay and the removal of inventories is one of many steps in that direction. I like inventories, but I don't feel that they are mandatory for a game like Planetside to function properly.

Of course it could end up being a very constricting system and hurt the game, but I'm a little bit more optimistic.
Old 2011-11-27, 02:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
Raka Maru
Major

Classes already restrict the layout. There was no need to do away with the free form inventory.

In the MMORPG world, classes cannot have certain items, but you can always customize your layout with what you need and how you play with just the class constraint.

This reminds me too much of the hard layouts in all the other FPS's where you start with a layout, get certain amount of ammo, med kits, etc...
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion