Active reload thoughts? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Accept this quote.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: Yes or no would you wan't the active reloading concept in PS2?
Yes include active reload 35 17.07%
No don't include active reload 170 82.93%
Voters: 205. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-02-05, 05:03 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Elude
First Sergeant

Question Active reload thoughts?

What's the communities thoughts on active reload, would you be against such an idea in Planetside 2?

For those who don't know, active reload was first featured in Gears of War (at least to my knowledge). It essentially works the same way as normal reloading in your typical FPS game but if you press the reload button again while reloading you have a chance of either jamming your weapon or doubling the reload speed, the goal was to time it with a meter displayed on your hud.

It may sound like a complicated process but it's not, it's actually a very simple concept and the best part is you don't even have to participate in doing it so long as you let your weapon reload all the way through without attempting such interruptions.
Old 2012-02-05, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

Re: Active reload thoughts?

As much I understand youre desire for such an option, I don't think it has any place in Planetside. Mostly because it would affect some empire more than others (See TR, who thrive on spray and pray). My vote is for no, until someone convinces me of something more than simply "its cool, so it should be in."
Old 2012-02-05, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
NewSith
Contributor
Brigadier General

Elaborating the concept above:

Gray square is where you need to hit reload again.

And no, I think having such metagame in planetside 2 is not a good idea. It promotes key macros.
EDIT: Sidenote - I am with Highwind on this, this metagame is great, it's just that the thing is not made for ps2.

Originally Posted by CutterJohn View Post
Shields.. these are a decent compromise between the console jockeys that want recharging health, and the glorious pc gaming master race that generally doesn't.

Last edited by NewSith; 2012-02-05 at 05:24 PM.
Old 2012-02-05, 05:20 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

I've never really enjoyed the feature very much to be honest. I found it distracting and sort of annoying to deal with so often.
Old 2012-02-05, 05:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Bags
Lieutenant General

Originally Posted by Warborn View Post
I've never really enjoyed the feature very much to be honest. I found it distracting and sort of annoying to deal with so often.
Agreed.
Old 2012-02-05, 05:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
Espion
Staff Sergeant

Carebear PvE function that has no place anywhere near PvP
Old 2012-02-05, 05:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Elude
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by NewSith View Post
It promotes key macros.
Good point never thought of that
Old 2012-02-05, 05:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Death2All
Major

Misc Info

It's a neat function, but I don't think it really belongs in PS2.

I've always fount it distracting, and of course I can ignore it, but at the cost of reloading slower than my opponent probably will? Too good to pass up.

Death2AllVS/TR/NC
Rekeer
AliENaTiON
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-02-05, 06:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Higby
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Creative Director

Here's an interesting question: what if active reload was a function on a weapon attachment? You could decide to use it, and doing so you'd give up another attachment, so its always balanced.
Old 2012-02-05, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
CidHighwind
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
Here's an interesting question: what if active reload was a function on a weapon attachment? You could decide to use it, and doing so you'd give up another attachment, so its always balanced.
Hmm... I still feel as though it would give an unfair tilt towards TR, who could take further advantage of the option than the NC or VS. More bullets = more kills, especially with lower TTK in PS2. IMO, this is similar to the 'taped mags' mod found in CoD Black Ops, which turned into a must have mod in fire fights, (and might I also say that I DESPISE black ops, with this being one of the reasons, but enjoy CoD once in a while.) It would also depend on what mod is being replaced, and if the opportunity cost of trading that mod for this was significant.

In theory though, if the sacrifice made was great enough, I.E. the mod significantly hurt mobility or some other mechanic, or if the mod could only be installed on weapons with the same RoF, then I could see that as being a unique and interesting mechanic/choice.

Guess this is why you all make the big bucks

Last edited by CidHighwind; 2012-02-05 at 07:03 PM.
Old 2012-02-05, 07:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Sirisian
Colonel

Might as well just make it a faster reload weapon attachment then with no metagame. Simpler without unnecessary gameplay features.
Old 2012-02-05, 07:09 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
Peacemaker
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Espion View Post
Carebear PvE function that has no place anywhere near PvP
How is boosting reload speed a PVE function in a game that has no PVE? It also has a place in PVP thats why gears had it for use in multiplayer......

Higby's idea is the best implementation if it even goes in game. I see no reason not to add it, then again there isn't a huge reason to add it in the first place, a reload buff attachment is probably enough.
Old 2012-02-05, 07:17 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
ThGlump
Captain

No. Manual reload should stay same no matter what you do (weapon proficiency and modifications are another thing).
But i would like some penalty to autoreload. Like 1-2sec empty clicking when you run out of ammo before it autoreload. You could cut that delay when you press reload during(or even before) it, but actual reload remain same.
Thats what i call active reload, when you have to watch ammo and reload manualy, not some minigame to speed it up.

Btw will there be ammo count, or magazines? (so premature reload will result in losing ammo)

Last edited by ThGlump; 2012-02-05 at 07:19 PM.
Old 2012-02-05, 07:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Elude
First Sergeant

Having a faster reload attachment does make more sense than having an active reload attachment sadly

Perhaps active reloading would be better for tanks where the gunner has a much lazier job. It would also help change the out comes in tank vs tank battles where in most cases its who gets the first shots off, a player caught by surprise could have the potential to come back with such a feature.

@The Glump

I think you misunderstand how active reloading works, it's not auto reloading. Active reloading is the exact same as manual reloading but with a little small minigame in between the reload animation, if anything it's more manual than the reloading you are use to in games.

Last edited by Elude; 2012-02-05 at 07:22 PM.
Old 2012-02-05, 07:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Warborn
Contributor
Major General

Originally Posted by Higby View Post
That might be pretty tricky to balance though, as presumably another attachment would always provide its effect while active reload only works if you click at the right time. Unless it always provided a benefit, but could be even more beneficial if you clicked at the right time?

Beyond that, I don't know, I personally don't find that gameplay mechanic enjoyable in the various times I've experienced it, primarily because it requires me to stop paying attention to the action and focus on a moving bar. Maybe for sniper rifles it would be okay, as their gameplay is pretty sedentary, but for regular infantry work I'm not sure how well it'd fit in.

Last edited by Warborn; 2012-02-05 at 07:22 PM.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion