Poll about the day/night issues. - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Home of the Spoon.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

View Poll Results: What should the options be for night fighting.
Length of sunrise to sunrise: 1-3.5 hours 86 28.57%
Length of sunrise to sunrise: 3.5-9 hours 162 53.82%
Length of sunrise to sunrise: 7-23 hours 41 13.62%
Different time zones in each continent: Yes. 223 74.09%
Different time zones in each continent: No. 30 9.97%
Should nights be shorter than days: Yes. 91 30.23%
Should nights be shorter than days: No 161 53.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 301. You may not vote on this poll

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-21, 03:12 AM   [Ignore Me] #31
Toppopia
Major

Re: Poll about the day/night issues.

Originally Posted by maggymoo View Post
I think it would be cool to have days/night cycles exactly the same as real life. But each continent has different time-zones like, GMT, EST or whatever. So you can try to play on a continent that best matches your time zone, so when its night its night in game. I think that would be way more immersive. And you'll still be able experience cool times like dawn, just go a different continent with a different time-zone
Yeah... no.

I would rather not that because people will get very annoyed at night all the time or day all the time, you need night in small doses or people will probably begin to hate it. But not enough and people will crave it. But different timezones is good, but real life day lengths is crazy. Even with 3 continents thats not enough of a difference to have everyone beable to experience all the different cycles. And night won't always be pitch dark, only 1-2 nights of the cycle will be that dark because of the moons and such, and some nights will be almost as bright as day time, and it will be cool to have a battle transition to night while fighting, and if night is 5 hours, that gives outfits a good enough time frame to plan awesome night assaults on bases.
Old 2012-05-21, 03:57 AM   [Ignore Me] #32
Dreamcast
Major

I think sunrise to sunrise should be around 12 hours-15 hours.....If it is less than time of days like evenings/noons/etc will be way too short.

I do love the continents having different times.

I would like to add one idea who...I hope the time isn't constant so like in real life, the times should change thru out the game....An example of this is that perhaps after a month night comes 3 hours earlier in correlation with our Human world time.

This will fix issues with people who can only play at only a certain time of day..I mean it will suck if u could only play at noon but noon was the time amerish was always night...So if the time adjust, that person could finally play it in the day.
Old 2012-05-21, 04:39 AM   [Ignore Me] #33
Karrade
First Sergeant

7 is an excellent number.

7 is good for me , 5 hours day time, 2 hours night time would work best in terms of immersion and feel. Night is fun but will perhaps work as a feature rather than a staple best for the majority.

If you can picture outside your own bubble of life, for the majority, how many of them are active more at night? Night is fun but not a staple of their day.
Old 2012-05-21, 04:45 AM   [Ignore Me] #34
Sabrak
Contributor
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Karrade View Post
If you can picture outside your own bubble of life, for the majority, how many of them are active more at night? Night is fun but not a staple of their day.
During a war?
From a soldier's point of view?

I'm not sure the answer is what you're expecting.
Old 2012-05-21, 04:58 AM   [Ignore Me] #35
Karrade
First Sergeant

Originally Posted by Sabrak View Post
During a war?
From a soldier's point of view?

I'm not sure the answer is what you're expecting.
Interesting perspective, however I am not and never will be a soldier. I was meaning for the average player, as universal a thought as you can make it. Does most of their life take place in the day or night?

Also I am strongly in favor of varying time zones for more unpredictable and distinct gameplay.

Last edited by Karrade; 2012-05-21 at 05:02 AM.
Old 2012-05-21, 05:30 AM   [Ignore Me] #36
Kipper
Captain

All I am looking for is that the length of day/night is enough to be able to properly use and enjoy it. Each one needs to be an hour or two hours long imo, otherwise the sense of scale will be lost.

I want stories to be told of the battle that "raged through the night" or the base that took "4 days of fighting to capture!". If the cycle is too short, those stories will be silly and meaningless. If too long, then it won't be enough variation in an average play session.

I could see a full day-night cycle being something like 3 or 5 hours, to give either 90 mins (1.5 hr) or 150 mins (2.5 hr) of each and keep it an odd number so that people logging in at the same time of day don't always play at the same time of day on Auraxis.

I suspect this might be another beta thing. Maybe one of the things they want to find out is the optimal length to make it enjoyable and usable.
Old 2012-05-21, 11:50 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
capiqu
Contributor
First Lieutenant

I will make a last suggestion don't know what you guys would think of it.

Continent A: 5 hour cycle.
Continent B: 7 hour cycle.
Continent c: 9 hour cycle.
Continent D: 11 hour cycle.

This would give us 4 unique continents and Variety.
Old 2012-05-22, 12:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #38
Toppopia
Major

Originally Posted by capiqu View Post
I will make a last suggestion don't know what you guys would think of it.

Continent A: 5 hour cycle.
Continent B: 7 hour cycle.
Continent c: 9 hour cycle.
Continent D: 11 hour cycle.

This would give us 4 unique continents and Variety.
Unless the developers put them on basically the same place on the planet then you can't have different lengths, but that sounds good, so people that enjoy night can check the time on all continents, and go "Oooh, Continent C still has 5 hours left of night, i shall go there now."

And people that don't like night or like battles that take 'several days' can go to continent A and see the day change in the middle of the fight.
Old 2012-05-22, 03:07 AM   [Ignore Me] #39
Khrusky
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by maggymoo View Post
I think it would be cool to have days/night cycles exactly the same as real life. But each continent has different time-zones like, GMT, EST or whatever. So you can try to play on a continent that best matches your time zone, so when its night its night in game. I think that would be way more immersive. And you'll still be able experience cool times like dawn, just go a different continent with a different time-zone
I completely agree.

Immersion is more important to me than variation.

Drake Flight is a new EU TR Air Assault Outfit. PM me if you're interested in signing up.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-30, 02:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Roughly 3 hours seems the right number to me. Less than that and you won't get a significant amount of time for any given time period. More than that and you won't see a cycle in a typical play session.

It needs to be long enough that you can plan attacks to occur at certain times to take advantage of light, darkness, or the way the sun is sitting. If the cycle is quick that opportunity will only be a short period of time and so there won't be much tactical value in utilizing day/night cycles.

It shouldn't be too long though and you want to allow someone to see most or all of a cycle in a given play session. I'd say most fans, even casuals, will probably play 2-3 hours a day, which fits that criteria.

You have to have continents with different time zones to give players the option of only fighting at night or during the day if they desire. Being forced into one or the other is rather lame and there's no harm in splitting it up. It is a global conflict and not all continents get the same exposure so it makes more realistic sense as well as gameplay sense.
Old 2012-05-30, 02:40 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
KTNApollo
First Sergeant

Dawn - 1.5 hours
Morning - 1.5 hours
Afternoon - 1.5 hours
Dusk - 1.5 hours
Evening - 1.5 hours
Night - 1.5 hours

I feel that this is how the day/night cycle should be.
Old 2012-05-30, 02:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
xIIDeAdLyIIx
Private

I want a 6ish hour long day/night cycle I don't want 1,2,3,4,6,8,12. because players who play the same time a day will constantly be playing at the same in game time.

So for me it should be either 5 or 7.

it was said that the cycle would last a players game time, so 5 or 7 sounds about rite
Old 2012-05-30, 02:49 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
kaffis
Contributor
Major

5 hour day/night cycle, with roughly equal time for day and night, please. Minor fluctuations between day:night ratio are permittable by season and continental location on the planet.

Why 5 hours?

It's long enough that entire battles can happen in the day, or at night. It's also long enough that waiting for a specific time of day is a tactical option balanced against, well, waiting.

5 hours doesn't divide evenly into 24, so what you'll see is that every day, game-dawn will come 1 hour later in the day. Likewise, the 1:5 ratio doesn't divide evenly into a week, week-to-week, dawn will shift by 2 hours on the same day of the week, as well.

This means that people with specific playtimes will experience different times of day each session, rather than get stuck on their 7-9 pm playtime (or whatever) always being daylight, ending with 30 minutes of dusk or whatever.

Finally, different time zones for the different continents makes it so that people who want to specialize in night fighting, or people for whom the visibility hindrance of night operations is a deal-breaker can simply migrate from continent to continent to avoid or seek out their preferred lighting conditions.

Edit: If 5 hours is too short for somebody, then 10 or 11 hours would be my second pick. It will also cycle night to night, and week to week. 7 doesn't work for me, as it doesn't change week to week (dawn will always be at the same time each Saturday, for instance), and 9 hours will yield the same dawn-time every three days, which seems a little too often. 3, 4, 6, and 8-hour rotations, of course, don't change at all.

Last edited by kaffis; 2012-05-30 at 02:57 PM.
Old 2012-05-30, 02:52 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
PoisonTaco
First Sergeant

First off make it an odd number so that the time of day will be different for people who play specific hours of the day. That way folks who work 9 to 5 get home and see something different every night, it makes it dynamic and would definitely keep people playing for longer.

I'd say 5 hours would be great for a cycle. That way for folks who get off work/school can enjoy at least one day/night cycle before going to bed.
Old 2012-05-30, 03:01 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
wraithverge
Sergeant

just make different timezones as higby has already stated hes doing. That way if you are one of those people who can't stand night fighting, go play on solsar or cerryshen or whatever continents they are releasing. I think the day/night cycle should be minimum 3 hours, max 5. Enough for a 9-5 bloke if he wants to play a full day to be able to do some day and night fighting after work and not be dead the next day.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion