Outfit vs Outfit - Page 2 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Keyboard not found Press F1 to continue
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-30, 11:14 AM   [Ignore Me] #16
Marinealver
Sergeant Major

Re: Outfit vs Outfit

It is kinda hard to get a sense of rival outfits as you just end up fighting the entire empire. Too bad there isnt a way of like destroying say a squad or or something. Mabey if it tracked if you take out every bound spawnpoint for the outfit that might be one way.
Old 2012-05-30, 11:36 AM   [Ignore Me] #17
MgFalcon
Captain

My favorite kind of Outfit vs Outfit conflict was the same empire ones... Ohhhhhh one could wrack up A LOT of greif points in the course of 10 minutes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 2012-05-30, 11:56 AM   [Ignore Me] #18
Redshift
Major

Originally Posted by Skepsiis View Post
For us as werner VS we had the most respect in terms of player skill for the soul reapers on TR and the mercs on NC.
Yea player wise we respected Mercs and FAnG the most of their respective empires
Old 2012-05-30, 12:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #19
wraithverge
Sergeant

as a TR I do have to say evilpig and the 666th made me rage quit a few times. I am a horrible grunt, but man I cherish the memories of me boomering him back to the spawn tubes.

so yeah, trust me you learn to fear and respect if not outright loathe certain outfits... and the chance to kill them keeps you playing more.
Old 2012-05-30, 12:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #20
Ale
Corporal

Outfit vs Outfit? It happens organically.

Orisha gen down, C22.
Dagda purple, DT.
Blue tower in a TR versus VS fight, SG.
Red tower in a VS versus NC fight, LxG.
Attack Solsar and Hossin, Liberty and 1cmm and then the NC zerg respond.
Attack Amerish, the entire VS zerg respond.
Attack The BI's, TRx and then the TR zerg respond.
6 Gals appear at 1:30 left on your hack?, Enclave and Sturm.
VS slllllooooowwllly winning on Ishundar?, GOTR / AT raid.

You just need to know what to look for, or which hornets nest to kick. With the ability to create custom uniforms, this stuff will be even more obvious at first glance.

However, there is one thing I would suggest adding that really fits into this theme: custom outfit flags / battle standards that show the outfits logo and can be carried by players. This gives outfit leaders a visual tool with which to rally units that might be bigger than platoon strength.

They could also provide minor buff to an AOE around the flag. This flag would have the outfits logo and one AOE bonus of the outfit leaders choosing, which can be upgraded with rank. Off the top of my head, an infantry based outfit might pick a 2% Infantry shield buff, whilst a tank outfit might take a 2% faster vehicle regen buff.

The Standard bearer themselves might get something like an extra 100hp on their shield but, considering they are holding a massive flag in lieu of a weapon, would only be able to melee with the flag itself.

The flag could be planted and picked up freely, so outfits can rotate the role of standard bearer. Planting the flag gives a visual queue that you've claimed this hilltop; base; ridgeline or outpost. I can see orders being given to take hills that have Zero strategic value, just to take down a bitter rivals flag.

The flag would drop if the player holding it was killed, and it could be captured by they enemy if you're wiped out. With One per outfit at any given time, ladies and gents, we now have endgame content.

Allowing outfit standards to be placed at a base, not unlike PS1 mods, that grant defenders an SOI wide buff, would create "Outfit Bases" with no need for complex ownership systems being coded in.

Originally Posted by MgFalcon View Post
My favorite kind of Outfit vs Outfit conflict was the same empire ones... Ohhhhhh one could wrack up A LOT of greif points in the course of 10 minutes!
We few, We lucky few, Disband of brothers.

That all kicked off because TO was trying to fight 1cmm, in a duel, away from any interuptions, on the island near Caer, Forseral, which BoB claimed to own. Irony.
Old 2012-05-30, 12:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #21
Sardus
Contributor
Captain

One thing planetside 1 did not lack was outfit rivalry (even on your own side too). It may not had been structured or organized, but it was very much alive.

Twitter@TRG_gamingclan
Old 2012-05-30, 12:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #22
Sardus
Contributor
Captain

Originally Posted by Ale View Post
However, there is one thing I would suggest adding that really fits into this theme: custom outfit flags / battle standards that show the outfits logo and can be carried by players. This gives outfit leaders a visual tool with which to rally units that might be bigger than platoon strength.
Haha, warhamemr styled flags mounted on the outfit leader's back?

Pro: A small buff for your oufit
Con: KILL THAT GUY FIRST

Twitter@TRG_gamingclan
Old 2012-05-30, 01:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #23
HeatLegend
Master Sergeant

I personally dont like the idea. It'd be cool if you just talked between two outfits and said: Hey lets all go to this outpost that your team has and see who wins.
Old 2012-05-30, 01:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #24
ringring
Contributor
General

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
you're aware planetside is an open map split over 3 different zones, there are no battlegrounds or instances like WAR etc yea? (just clarifying your terminology)

This was never a problem in planetside, i would be good if it did display enemy outfit names or tags(im pretty sure it didnt...been awhile..there were no tags anyway)

but over time you knew who you were fighting, you didn't need any other stuff, you could make a name for yourself and outfit pretty well in PS1.
This is true ......
outname names did only appear over friendly people and I always thought it would be good if they appeared over enemy. Although you would get to know which outfit a certain group belonged to it would help.

It often happened in PS that you were attacked and on investigation you called on command chat that it was such and such outfit, it would definately provoke a response, not all of it complimentary.

Although I fought in quite a few outfit wars matches, it wasn't my thing.
Old 2012-05-30, 02:11 PM   [Ignore Me] #25
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by The Kush View Post
I was part of that in PS1. Those were some fun times. And somewhere the devs talked about post release developing an outfit battleground that you could duke it out on between outfits. Hopefully they set this up tournament style

i was looking for this interview to post on this thread. they said something about 40 v 40 or 60 v 60 not sure offhand , its been quite a few months since i saw it. i would expect to see a feature like this , very common in mmos and fps games.they also stated many times that they are into esports. cant have any competitive gameplay in a open world.

lmao i found this link while looking for that interview.

Last edited by Rumblepit; 2012-05-30 at 02:27 PM.
Old 2012-05-30, 02:27 PM   [Ignore Me] #26
MCYRook
Staff Sergeant

Outfit Wars were pretty fun as a special event, but it's not something I would want to regularly have in PS2, as it takes people out of the actual game too much (and not just for the duration of a match either).

Indeed there is plenty of room for outfit rivalry, although you will pretty much never have an even, "tournament-like" situation to duke it out and definitely show who's bestest. But then again, that is one of the defining traits of Planetside - that it's never a "fair and even match", but always an asymmetrical thing that can completely change at a moment's notice.
Old 2012-05-30, 02:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #27
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by MCYRook View Post
Outfit Wars were pretty fun as a special event, but it's not something I would want to regularly have in PS2, as it takes people out of the actual game too much (and not just for the duration of a match either).

Indeed there is plenty of room for outfit rivalry, although you will pretty much never have an even, "tournament-like" situation to duke it out and definitely show who's bestest. But then again, that is one of the defining traits of Planetside - that it's never a "fair and even match", but always an asymmetrical thing that can completely change at a moment's notice.
i welcome a feature like this, im a huge esports fan and a competitor ,modern games pull from all servers when features like this are added into a game, thus they dont really hurt server pops. also it is a great tool for outfits to use to train and hone skills, work on tactics ,team work, communications .

can you name a new mmo that dosnt have a battleground of some sort. or a fps game that dosnt have outfit/clan/wars?if there are any they are few and far between .
Old 2012-05-30, 02:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #28
asdar
Private

I think outfit wars is something to do if the game doesn't work well. If it is working then everyone should be busy getting things done.

The average player will get on and say, "I want some quick action," and head over to the tournament area. Then the population will go down over the rest of the map.

If they just do it once in a while then people will want it more, and some will leave because they can't get it. The alternative is that they do get it and that's a slippery slope to the end of a persistent world fighting.

Purely a bad idea if what you want is to try and conquer a living world. It would be fun, too fun and then you'd split the world. Be careful what you wish for and all that.

Edit: stat keeping, or designating an enemy outfit as your nemesis is something else. I'm ok with all that as long as it's not intrusive to the game.

Last edited by asdar; 2012-05-30 at 02:41 PM.
Old 2012-05-30, 02:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #29
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

Originally Posted by asdar View Post
I think outfit wars is something to do if the game doesn't work well. If it is working then everyone should be busy getting things done.

The average player will get on and say, "I want some quick action," and head over to the tournament area. Then the population will go down over the rest of the map.

If they just do it once in a while then people will want it more, and some will leave because they can't get it. The alternative is that they do get it and that's a slippery slope to the end of a persistent world fighting.

Purely a bad idea if what you want is to try and conquer a living world. It would be fun, too fun and then you'd split the world. Be careful what you wish for and all that.

Edit: stat keeping, or designating an enemy outfit as your nemesis is something else. I'm ok with all that as long as it's not intrusive to the game.

dont think a 1 man outift would be allowed to que, if this was the case there mite be issues. features like this only reward the players with rep and rank, and some money if its picked up by els and you get sponsors.

Last edited by Rumblepit; 2012-05-30 at 02:58 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-30, 03:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #30
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I dont' see outfit wars being particularly useful in Planetside 2. It's a bogus sham to provide interest in a dying game.

On one hand you can have an outfit that really just does tanks - and they're very good at tank battles and coordination and contribute greatly to their empire in providing that armor support. You can have another that's all about air assault infantry that specializes in taking bases. And you can have smaller outfits that are specialized in defending outposts or attempting to resecure facilities. You can't really compare those outfits or put them in direct competition with each other. They all do different things and serve different purposes. They also have vastly different sizes and different specialties. You can't have a fair comparison between these outfits without narrowing the scope of the outfits to specific tasks, for which certain outfits will be more suited than others which isn't a fair competition.

And then there's other aspects like the competition itself being a staged mock battle and not a true unpredictable conflict with ever-shifting circumstances. That fundamentally changes the situation. You can have players and outfits that thrive in such circumstances but since they don't occur naturally in PlanetSide the competition isn't reflective of the effectiveness of the outfit.

Competitions between outfits will always favor certain outfits that do particular things well and are of a particular size. I don't think game developers should be promoting one style of outfit over another by having such competitions.

The best competition is normal and natural PlanetSide. You don't need staged competitions to have outfits go at each other. It'll happen normally in PlanetSide. Staged competitions are more of something to keep people interested when the game is dying and there isn't much else going on. When PlanetSide was thriving and healthy such things weren't needed - you got your rivalries and your competitions indirectly through daily conflict.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion