New Facebook page cover art - Page 4 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Feel free to debate politics, you're still wrong, but debate away.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-30, 04:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #46
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Re: New Facebook page cover art

I'm not hating, its pathetic that's all. Sorry mods but you know its the truth.

Edit: Out of respect for Malorn. I removed the link.

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-05-30 at 05:01 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-30, 04:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #47
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Some people can't handle a mature discussion. I'm not being disrespectful in my feedback, just honest.
Old 2012-05-30, 04:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #48
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

As a person of ethnicity I don't see it. I personally wonder why you would even bring that up. If its a troll attempt its in poor taste also. It makes me wonder why you couldn't just be like " hey man it looks great or hey it looks bad" why was race even needed to be brought into it? Did it make you feel better as a result of posting it?

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-05-30 at 04:49 PM.
Old 2012-05-30, 04:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #49
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

didnt the original have a puerto rican vanu girl straffing in front of a max? maybe I was just imagining it.
Old 2012-05-30, 04:53 PM   [Ignore Me] #50
Atheosim
Captain

Originally Posted by Hmr85 View Post
As a person of ethnicity I don't see it. I personally wonder why you would even bring that up. If its a troll attempt its in poor taste also. It makes me wonder why you couldn't just be like " hey man it looks great or hey it looks bad" why was race even needed to be brought into it? Did it make you feel better as a result of posting it?
It's feedback. It's an observation. It would have been no different had he said: "Oh look, there's a VS MAX in the picture. Interesting."
Old 2012-05-30, 04:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #51
ShadoViper
Staff Sergeant

I'm not hating, its pathetic that's all. Sorry mods but you know its the truth.

Billy Madison - Insanely Idiotic (Academic Decathlon) - YouTube
^^ i laughed pretty hard at that.

(sarcasm)Also, i just wanted to point out that this is offensive to African Americans because they are the only ones in a purple suit. this obviously means that all african americans are gay. (sarcasm)

Sorry champ. I dont see the "discussion". Personally, it just looks like a troll attempt.
Old 2012-05-30, 04:56 PM   [Ignore Me] #52
Hmr85
Lieutenant Colonel

Originally Posted by Atheosim View Post
It's feedback. It's an observation. It would have been no different had he said: "Oh look, there's a VS MAX in the picture. Interesting."
There is a slight difference between what you just put and what he put. If he put what you said I would of wondered on to the next topic.

If I hurt your feelings or pissed you off Malorn then I apologize. I just question why it was even needed in the first place. My link to youtube was probably a tad over the top. But I wanted to get my point across.

Back on topic. The artwork looks great. I think they did a awesome job. Where can I get that for a Wallpaper please

Last edited by Hmr85; 2012-05-30 at 04:57 PM.
Old 2012-05-30, 05:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #53
Immigrant
First Lieutenant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I want to like this cover art, but something just keeps jumping out at me that I can't ignore...

RACIAL BASED RANT
What is this, call for a political correctness? Coming from an Enclave guy?

I doubt devs had any "hidden" motives. They simply wanted to include all 3 major human races and since they have 3 factions/Empires each had to represent one one.

Next calling asians a minority is simply ignorant, maybe in your country but globally they are most numerous. Your conclusions are ridiculous, putting a asian (which is clearly chinese) as TR could be also interpreted as a critique and attack on People's Republic of China, putting a black TR could be interpreted as a critique of several authoritarian central-african governments etc. Your perspective isn't the only one, and world is not your backyard or neighborhood remember that before posting ridiculous claims like that.

p.s. btw TR aren't supremacist, we fight for order and unity of human race as a whole. Also if you have seen ingame screenshots there are plenty of black and asian TR guys.
Old 2012-05-30, 05:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #54
Atheosim
Captain

Originally Posted by Immigrant View Post
What is this, call for a political correctness? Coming from an Enclave guy?

I doubt devs had any "hidden" motives. They simply wanted to include all 3 major human races and since they have 3 factions/Empires each had to represent one one.

Next calling asians a minority is simply ignorant, maybe in your country but globally they are most numerous. Your conclusions are ridiculous, putting a asian (which is clearly chinese) as TR could be also interpreted as a critique and attack on People's Republic of China, putting a black TR could be interpreted as a critique of several authoritarian central-african governments etc. Your perspective isn't the only one, and world is not your backyard or neighborhood remember that before posting ridiculous claims like that.

p.s. btw TR aren't supremacist, we fight for order and unity of human race as a whole. Also if you have seen ingame screenshots there are plenty of black and asian TR guys.

I'm very much in agreeance with this guy (Immigrant), but I still respect Malorn's interpretation of his observation. No need to flame him.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-30, 05:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #55
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

We are all people of ethnicity. I brought it up because it bothered me and I figured most people would be too afraid to risk touching on the subject.

How ethnicity is displayed in PS2 media is a valid subject and it affects how people view the game and the impressions they get. I've observed that the devs seem to have been quite explicit in displaying a multitude of ethnicities and seem to spread it around in a lot of screenshots showing the diversity of character options. In any given screenshot you can typically spot multiple ethnicities in the picture. It's very PC and I'm also quite sure it is intentional that they are spreading it around trying to avoid stereotyping the empires. However in doing so I think they may be drawing attention to something that was never really something of significance in PS1.

I like the diversity, but I think they do need to be careful in how certain pictures look when they choose to highlight ethnic differences in the empires. In this particular picture I see clear ethnic differences and have to wonder why they chose to put those in there. The picture is cool, but I think the ethnic distinctions distract from that coolness and end up conveying a different meaning to me than the one they intended. Thus, I'm voicing the concern.

Edit: I'm also not implying any sort of hidden motives by the devs or the artist. I never stated that. I think it's likely coincidence and that they were intending to showcase diversity in a fair way.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-05-30 at 05:13 PM.
Old 2012-05-30, 05:16 PM   [Ignore Me] #56
Graywolves
General

I don't think people are going to look into the art that much Malorn. Great attention to detail though. I would say that they did consciously attempt to add diversity into the image and so looking at it from that standpoint I would agree that it was a poor way to place that diversity.

But overall I don't find it to be that big of a deal, personally(from a consumer's perspective).
Old 2012-05-30, 05:18 PM   [Ignore Me] #57
Tim
Private

How else would you have them place it ?
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-30, 05:23 PM   [Ignore Me] #58
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Tim View Post
How else would you have them place it ?
I think it would be best not to place it at all in the picture. They can mask the features to the point where it isn't easy to tell at all what ethnicity the characters are. Or make them all the same ethnicity (pick one, doesn't matter). That removes ethnic distinction entirely.

Having them the same would also highlight that it is an ideological conflict, with brother fighting against brother civil-war style. Some of the fictional pieces from a while ago had that sort of feel with one of the TR guys writing about how his sister was converted into the vanu cult. That's a much more compelling story to me when families are split across empires.
Old 2012-05-30, 05:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #59
roguy
Sergeant

Or make them all the same ethnicity (pick one, doesn't matter).
Well it kinda does matter, since it'll always be white so that the main demographic relates to the characters more.... Then ofc you'd have people claiming SOE are rascists for not including minorities and then the cycle repeats itself.

Don't believe? Check out the IMDB forums: Blah Blah James Bond is Marxist, Blah Blah Jar Jar Binks is rascist...

Wich is why I'll agree with Hmr85 and say that you're "oversensitive" and this discussion leads either nowhere or towards a flame war.

PS: The only reason I don't actually believe you're trolling is that you could be more offensive.

Last edited by roguy; 2012-05-30 at 05:39 PM.
Old 2012-05-30, 05:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #60
ShadoViper
Staff Sergeant

I think it would be best not to place it at all in the picture. They can mask the features to the point where it isn't easy to tell at all what ethnicity the characters are. Or make them all the same ethnicity (pick one, doesn't matter). That removes ethnic distinction entirely.

Having them the same would also highlight that it is an ideological conflict, with brother fighting against brother civil-war style. Some of the fictional pieces from a while ago had that sort of feel with one of the TR guys writing about how his sister was converted into the vanu cult. That's a much more compelling story to me when families are split across empires.
Why does it matter? Seriously, why the fuck does it matter?

Dude i'm sorry but that's straight up asinine. If, by chance, we were stereotyping roles here and making someone of a particular race look negative, then yes. I agree. It's not, its a picture with three people. The fact that anyone is even trying to make an issue about this if ridiculous.

FYI A "Family" can have more than 1 skin color within it.

this. shouldn't. matter.
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion