New Facebook page cover art - Page 5 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Don't Touch The Button
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-30, 05:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #61
Red Beard
Second Lieutenant

Re: New Facebook page cover art

Originally Posted by ShadoViper View Post
Why does it matter? Seriously, why the fuck does it matter?

Dude i'm sorry but that's straight up asinine. If, by chance, we were stereotyping roles here and making someone of a particular race look negative, then yes. I agree. It's not, its a picture with three people. The fact that anyone is even trying to make an issue about this if ridiculous.

FYI A "Family" can have more than 1 skin color within it.

this. shouldn't. matter.
^^This. Generally good posts Malorn, but this is taking PC to nonsensical proportions.
Old 2012-05-30, 05:46 PM   [Ignore Me] #62
roguy
Sergeant

Originally Posted by Red Beard View Post
^^This. Generally good posts Malorn, but this is taking PC to nonsensical proportions.
^ yup
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-30, 05:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #63
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

I agree that it shouldn't matter, but if it doesn't matter why did they put it in the picture? If it wasn't there we wouldn't be talking about it.
Old 2012-05-30, 05:57 PM   [Ignore Me] #64
ShadoViper
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
I agree that it shouldn't matter, but if it doesn't matter why did they put it in the picture? If it wasn't there we wouldn't be talking about it.
Perspective.

This question can work both ways, it has no "right" answer. only subjective personal opinions and a basis on the views of "our'" modern society.
Old 2012-05-30, 07:13 PM   [Ignore Me] #65
Xyntech
Brigadier General

That's ridiculous Malorn.

Clearly if they had intended the ethnicities to match up with the empires, the NC would be black to represent fighting for freedom and the VS would be asian to represent their alien-like math skills and love of robots.

As it stands, VS are black because TRay is the stylish face of the Vanu Sovereignty. The other two are just arbitrary.

We seriously need beta soon. The discussions here are starting to fall apart.

Last edited by Xyntech; 2012-05-30 at 07:14 PM.
This is the last VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-30, 07:34 PM   [Ignore Me] #66
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
That's ridiculous Malorn.

Clearly if they had intended the ethnicities to match up with the empires, the NC would be black to represent fighting for freedom and the VS would be asian to represent their alien-like math skills and love of robots.
You mean like these?

I don't think they were intending to convey that but yeah. Its there.
Old 2012-05-30, 08:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #67
Xyntech
Brigadier General

You mean like these?
Pacific Islanders aren't traditionally the asians who people associate that stereotype with, so no. But nice job taking my post seriously and digging those up. I think you may have some pretty deep seated issues
Old 2012-05-30, 08:29 PM   [Ignore Me] #68
ShadoViper
Staff Sergeant

You mean like these?

I don't think they were intending to convey that but yeah. Its there.
Once again, if the entire faction was comprised of only a stereo type specific race, you might have a point.

Stop grasping at straws

Ps.

Last edited by ShadoViper; 2012-05-30 at 08:32 PM.
Old 2012-05-31, 09:26 AM   [Ignore Me] #69
Geist
Lieutenant Colonel

Hmmm, I believe this thread is officially FUBARed. Might want to take this conversation to the Political Debate forum so the rest of us can appreciate something awesome(not saying anyone is wrong, but really, this is not the thread to discuss it in).

On Topic: If they release high rez versions, this will officially become my new wallpaper. I haven't been awed like this by box art(I assume it's box art) in a long time.
"There is a theory which states that if ever anybody discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There is another theory which states that this has already happened."

-Douglas Adams

Last edited by Geist; 2012-05-31 at 09:27 AM.
Old 2012-05-31, 11:04 AM   [Ignore Me] #70
Baron
First Sergeant

Where all the white women at?!?!?!
Old 2012-05-31, 01:19 PM   [Ignore Me] #71
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

Originally Posted by Xyntech View Post
off the charts hilarity
Old 2012-05-31, 01:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #72
Khrusky
Staff Sergeant

As has been said, Malorn's comments are an observation, and he has every right to them. It seems to be the case that people like to criticise comments on whether or not something promotes discriminatory attitudes especially harshly.

For the record, I think that actually this picture is a good one of racial diversity, but it was totally uncalled for for everyone to start lambasting him for his opinion. We should always err on the side of protecting people from persecution, not denying it. A simple "I disagree" or "I think that's distinctly not the case" would have been fine, but not swearing and melodramatic exasperation. (to give credit where it's due, there have been a few well-proportioned responses)

You guys are total asses for being as harsh as you have been about this.

Drake Flight is a new EU TR Air Assault Outfit. PM me if you're interested in signing up.
Old 2012-05-31, 02:41 PM   [Ignore Me] #73
Xyntech
Brigadier General

Originally Posted by Khrusky View Post
You guys are total asses for being as harsh as you have been about this.
Time place and circumstance man. It was kind of a stupid observation given the nature of the thread.

For example, I'm an atheist, but I understand that there are dickish times for me to make an issue out of god or religion. If I'm at a friends funeral, I'm not going to get up and talk about how the pastor was wrong and he's not in heaven, he's in a box which will be put in the ground to become worm food.

Obviously this thread is a more mild case than that example, but it's just a silly comment that Malorn made and it was uncalled for.

There is a lot of racism still lurking about, and it goes both ways. Some is politically acceptable racism, and that's sad.

I don't doubt that there was racial thought put into the image, wanting to make sure it's not just a bunch of white folk in the image, so I'm sure the diversity angle was slightly forced, but beyond that I think it's a stretch. As has been mentioned, you could find stereotypical reasons to put any of those ethnicities in any of the empires.

I'm all for freedom of speech. I don't think anyone is so rustled that they want anything crazy like Malorn to be banned for his comments. They really weren't that bad at all, just in poor taste. And really, that's what tempers freedom of speech. He has the right to make an observation, and I have the right to call it out as absurd and out of place.

It's also clearly derailed the thread. Never the mark of a good comment.
Old 2012-05-31, 02:58 PM   [Ignore Me] #74
bjorntju1
Captain

So...

Is there a hi-res version of this?
Old 2012-05-31, 03:02 PM   [Ignore Me] #75
ShadoViper
Staff Sergeant

Originally Posted by bjorntju1 View Post
So...

Is there a hi-res version of this?
There really needs to be! My desktop background is really boring these days!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion