Planetside 2 - ESport? - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: Does a body good.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-30, 07:38 PM   [Ignore Me] #1
Xaine
Major

Planetside 2 - ESport?

We've glazed over this before a few times, and Mr Higby as large Esports fan has even contributed very actively to our discussions on this. I don't think its ever had its own thread however.

What about adding an Esport component to Planetside 2. Something akin to clan matches in other games. Outfit vs Outfit with a ranked ladder for bragging rights, competitive community building smack talking fun.

Now, obviously the biggest issue with this is it retracting from the main game. So maybe make one day a month, or every two weeks a clan match day. Ranking to be done in which ever way is assumed as best by the Devs. A ladder or a rating like WoW Arena. Whatever.

This game, i think, has a massive amount of potential to be a great Esport. 50 vs 50 with all the vehicles included. The amount of teamwork and co-ordination would be amazing, and would be a brilliant thing to watch.

There is no game that has this sort of diversity with unit types, and no game that can support battles this large, and so no game that really has an upper ceiling for teamwork and coordination as high as this one, just because of the amount of people there would be.

If anyone can reply, and tell me a battle of 50v50, or 100v100 with AirCav, Tanks, Galaxy Drops, people playing support, medic, infiltrators, maxes... All working together wouldn't be the most insane thing to watch, then i think you're crazy. Or lying.

Obviously this would be a post launch thing, but i think it would really bring something new to the E-sports scene that hasn't been seen before at all.
Old 2012-05-30, 07:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #2
Bags
Lieutenant General

Re: Planetside 2 - ESport?

This game is an MMOFPS, not an arena game.
Old 2012-05-30, 07:43 PM   [Ignore Me] #3
Kurtz
Master Sergeant

go play a competitive shooter, theres hundreds. this is the only MMOFPS.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-30, 07:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #4
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

There's no ESport in PlanetSide.

I know Higby's all gung-ho about ESports and loves StarCraft, but apart from StarCraft in South Korea and DoTA there are no real ESports, and they're only big in countries that don't have big normal sports. It really is a strange StarCraft phenomena.

The only Teams in PlanetSide are the empires, and those teams play each other constantly every day in PlanetSide. If anything there might be "seasons" where empire success is measured by resource income, territory ownership, captures, and similar metrics which show that empire being successful against the other empires. They could also display that sort of thing each and every day in PlanetSide or through fan sites and apps.

Blizzard tried really hard to E-sportify WoW with Arenas like they did with StarCraft and it failed horribly. They're likely going to try the same thing with D3. Some things aren't suited to be ESports, and PlanetSide is definitely one of them. I would say any MMO shouldn't be an E-sport. Trying to make it one would only detract from the game and add silly mechanics that shouldn't be there.

I see E-sports the same way I see PvE content - keep it the hell away from PlanetSide 2!
Old 2012-05-30, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #5
Kaw
Corporal

I'm sure plenty of people and outfits will be streaming their play on sites like twitch and own3d. In the interview posted today, Higby was talking about trying to make it possible to stream straight from the client. As far as esports are concerned, I don't see how PS2 tournaments would ever be remotely feasible.
Old 2012-05-30, 07:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #6
SKYeXile
Major General

This is the 6th time we have made this thread, and we have become very efficient at it.

i liked outfit wars, but yea it shouldn't be apart of the the regular game, jsut held every so often. also it should be a platoon of 30, thats well over the amount of people thats generally considered a competitive number for PvP.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-30, 07:54 PM   [Ignore Me] #7
Xaine
Major

Thank you Malorn, for providing a constructive reply.

The other two children who posted and managed to fit all their thoughts into about 6 words in a one sentence dismissive reply i'm gong to ignore.

Expected better from Bags.

There is no win condition in Planetside, i think outfits would appreciate a way to directly compete with each other as they can't in any other way. Not in an even field.

This actually happened in Planetside 1, where two outfits would fight over a base away from the main fight on another cont. Why not make it structured.
Old 2012-05-30, 07:55 PM   [Ignore Me] #8
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

lol well when a game is picked up by esl or is esl worthy they host the matches,not soe, they make the rules, not soe, they review and fraps all matches before deciding a winner, not soe. if you want to be apart of a esl team you make one and contact esl, not soe.

this being said none of you have any control over this........
if its as good as it should be , it will be picked up, it will be huge, there will be events, competitions and prizes. soe and all the crying in the world cant stop this!

Last edited by Rumblepit; 2012-05-30 at 08:06 PM.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-30, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #9
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Originally Posted by Xaine View Post
Thank you Malorn, for providing a constructive reply.

The other two children who posted and managed to fit all their thoughts into about 6 words in a one sentence dismissive reply i'm gong to ignore.

Expected better from Bags.

There is no win condition in Planetside, i think outfits would appreciate a way to directly compete with each other as they can't in any other way. Not in an even field.

This actually happened in Planetside 1, where two outfits would fight over a base away from the main fight on another cont. Why not make it structured.
There's an Outfit vs Outfit thread where that topic is covered in detail.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=41646

Ultimately though PlanetSide is about "massive combat on an epic scale" - it isn't about outfit epeen measurement. Plenty of other FPS games to do that in. PlanetSide is different and the devs should be encouraging empire success, not individual outfit success.
Old 2012-05-30, 08:00 PM   [Ignore Me] #10
Zulthus
Colonel

Originally Posted by Xaine View Post

If anyone can reply, and tell me a battle of 50v50, or 100v100 with AirCav, Tanks, Galaxy Drops, people playing support, medic, infiltrators, maxes... All working together wouldn't be the most insane thing to watch, then i think you're crazy. Or lying.
The most insane thing to watch would be a battle of 666v666v666 with AirCav, Tanks, Galaxy Drops, people playing support, medic, infiltrators, maxes... all working together.

Do I win?

Anyway, I dislike e-sports because as you said they detract from the main population... however if they were monthly or every few weeks that'd be fine. Outfit wars was a pretty good idea and would have failed miserably if it was a daily thing, but it was spread out much more than that and people enjoyed it. This game isn't about outfit rankings and leaderboards, but teamplay for a much bigger objective.
Old 2012-05-30, 08:04 PM   [Ignore Me] #11
Xaine
Major

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post

This is the 6th time we have made this thread, and we have become very efficient at it.

i liked outfit wars, but yea it shouldn't be apart of the the regular game, jsut held every so often. also it should be a platoon of 30, thats well over the amount of people thats generally considered a competitive number for PvP.
Really? Searching 'Esport' came up with nothing. So i apologise.

I get the feeling everyone is so terrified of their game turning into CoD or BF3 that they never want to try anything new, or look outside the box, and this is a theme in almost every thread.

I played PS1 since 2003 as well, its one of the best games i've played and one of my favourites, but people need to unstand we're not getting Planetside 1.5.

Times have moved on. People want to play games competitively, the Esports scene is growing and this game has a massive chance to really mix it up.

I don't want this game to become 100% Esport focused. But they don't need to change anything. The balance is already there from the main game. We need an instanced map with a base in it. Thats it.
Old 2012-05-30, 08:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #12
The Kush
Captain

I would like this. It was done in PS1 at "special events" and my outfit had a blast. I even recieved a merit for it.

The system could be setup to allow you to also battle outfits of your same faction. Would lead to some new experiences and interesting fights.
Old 2012-05-30, 08:07 PM   [Ignore Me] #13
ninjaturtlesoup
Private

I'm new to planetside, but I think a platoon vs platoon e-sport could be an interesting idea. Maybe have islands (smaller than continents) where a team could totally take control to win the event. I don't see a problem with creating a separate server/map for a different/competitive play. SOE could even rent them out and let you control certain variables. It wouldn't take away from the main game and would just add a new flavor of gameplay.
Old 2012-05-30, 08:08 PM   [Ignore Me] #14
Xaine
Major

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
There's an Outfit vs Outfit thread where that topic is covered in detail.
http://www.planetside-universe.com/s...ad.php?t=41646

Ultimately though PlanetSide is about "massive combat on an epic scale" - it isn't about outfit epeen measurement. Plenty of other FPS games to do that in. PlanetSide is different and the devs should be encouraging empire success, not individual outfit success.
World of Warcraft was about Pve, then arenas took off and became a massive deal on the Esports scene. (Untill it ended badly, but thats not the point).

A game can have more than one dynamic. As awesome as Planetside is, occasionally people want to do something a little bit different.

Other MMOs have crafting, social stuff, pvp, pve. Some have player housing etc

I'm certainly not suggesting any of that for Planetside, but Esports would fit. As long as it was properly done, not on all the time.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-30, 08:10 PM   [Ignore Me] #15
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

PlanetSide 2 - Massive Combat... on a private server... between two clans.

You're killing me!
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion