Planetside 2 - ESport? - Page 3 - PlanetSide Universe
PSU Social Facebook Twitter Twitter YouTube Steam TwitchTV
PlanetSide Universe
PSU: You had me at Planetside.
Home Forum Chat Wiki Social AGN PS2 Stats
Notices
Go Back   PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion

Click here to go to the first VIP post in this thread.  
Old 2012-05-30, 08:31 PM   [Ignore Me] #31
Xaine
Major

Re: Planetside 2 - ESport?

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
too many people and without support for it by SOE, its hard. also with no real prime focal point and +60 players, it makes for hard watching to see who's winning.
Too many people I could see being a reason, as it would be the biggest Esports by a fair old gap. Organising and coordinating with that many people would be hard, and bringing them all to a live event again would be a problem. I don't think its the end of the world though. More people means more variables and generally, more interesting gameplay.

Support for SoE is a must, thats very true.

The 60+ players point, and hard to see who is winning i don't agree with.

For a start, you can see on the HUD how close the base is to being captured - and if you had a spectator mode (like LoL has just added in) i don't think it would be a problem. Planetside as a moment by moment game isn't hard to follow. The over-all map stratergy is, but thats not what the fight would be about. If you see a Reaver kill a Scythe, thats obvious. If you see one squad wiping out another, thats also obvious.

Last edited by Xaine; 2012-05-30 at 08:32 PM.
Old 2012-05-30, 08:32 PM   [Ignore Me] #32
Kaw
Corporal

Originally Posted by Xaine View Post
I'd be interested to hear why.
Originally Posted by Kaw View Post
The problem is that esports organizations in other games are struggling to actually make money when the teams have five people. Completely ignoring whether or not PS2 would be a good spectator sport, which I also don't agree is true, it simply wont be feasible for any tournament organizer to try to split the pie between teams of fifty.

Edit: Thank you Hamma.
Also, in response to Rumblepit, enrollment wont be much higher. Starcraft 2 for example had a larger player base at launch than I think we can reasonably expect in Planetside 2. Being generous, there are approximately 100 "pro" Starcraft players. With the system the OP is suggesting, that would make two teams. You can't just throw a thousand low caliber players into a tournament and expect it to have ten times the viewership of Starcraft.
Click here to go to the next VIP post in this thread.   Old 2012-05-30, 08:36 PM   [Ignore Me] #33
Malorn
Contributor
PlanetSide 2
Game Designer

Just because a game has more than one dynamic, doesn't suddenly change the entire philosophy and idea behind the game.

It widens the audience it pulls to it, makes it more competitive and builds a new community around it, enhances the community already there by adding a competitive mode for Outfits to fight in.

If its done right, its doesn't effect the main part of the game at all. Enhances that if anything, makes it more interesting when Outfits meet each other in the field.

Honestly don't understand what the fuss is about. I just think you're all terrified of adding something new into the game because it destroys your nostalgic view of PS1.
Actually its more about realistic fears that it will have the following result

1) fracture the player base into those that play PlanetSide 2 the Esport and PlanetSide 2 the MMO. That could drive populations lower or cause developer priorities to shift.

2) fracture the dev team investments into splitting time between PlanetSide 2 the MMO and PlanetSide 2 the ESport. Time spent on one is time not spent on the other. It will mean delayed features and less improvement in the game mode I really care about.

3) have design decisions for one game mode affecting the other, like changing the way rockets work because in the ESport mode they are problematic when in the MMO mode they are just fine. WoW has had this problem for years where PvE changes impact PvP and vice versa.

It fractures the dev priorities, impacts development, and can ultimately negatively impact PlanetSide 2 the MMO. When developers try to over-reach the game and make it more than it should be they end up half-assing both and ruining the game. Stick to what the game is good for. It doesn't have to do everything. There are things it shouldn't do, and make the great game that it should be.

Last edited by Malorn; 2012-05-30 at 08:38 PM.
Old 2012-05-30, 08:39 PM   [Ignore Me] #34
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

well this is how it works, they make up the rules, not soe, they decide weapons, not soe, they decide on the number of player, not soe, they decide how many matches and what kinds of matches will be played, not soe. so in a turney you mite see 10 vs 10 nanite wepons only, no tech, death match,secure, resecure, so on so forth. if they pick it up none of you can do anything about.

its simple really, if there is a compitive aspect to the game, which we know for 100% that there will be it wil be looked at. and if its worthy then its on!!!!!!

Last edited by Rumblepit; 2012-05-30 at 08:41 PM.
Old 2012-05-30, 08:42 PM   [Ignore Me] #35
rTekku
Sergeant

One thing the OP doesn't seem to understand is that E-sports can directly affect the main game, especially when it comes to in game balance.
Old 2012-05-30, 08:45 PM   [Ignore Me] #36
Kaw
Corporal

Originally Posted by Rumblepit View Post
well this is how it works, they make up the rules, not soe, they decide weapons, not soe, they decide on the number of player, not soe, they decide how many matches and what kinds of matches will be played, not soe. so in a turney you mite see 10 vs 10 nanite wepons only, no tech, death match,secure, resecure, so on so forth. if they pick it up none of you can do anything about.
But once you are at 10v10 in an arena mode, what does Planetside offer that every other fps on the market doesn't? The appeal of Planetside for viewers would be the scale, but the scale just isn't feasible for tournaments.

Hypothetically, if an outfit v outfit system is put in, we may see exhibition matches between two "top" outfits similar to the live raids at Blizzcon, but I just don't see how PS2 can ever work at a tournament.
Old 2012-05-30, 08:47 PM   [Ignore Me] #37
SKYeXile
Major General

Too many people I could see being a reason, as it would be the biggest Esports by a fair old gap. Organising and coordinating with that many people would be hard, and bringing them all to a live event again would be a problem. I don't think its the end of the world though. More people means more variables and generally, more interesting gameplay.

Support for SoE is a must, thats very true.

The 60+ players point, and hard to see who is winning i don't agree with.

For a start, you can see on the HUD how close the base is to being captured - and if you had a spectator mode (like LoL has just added in) i don't think it would be a problem. Planetside as a moment by moment game isn't hard to follow. The over-all map stratergy is, but thats not what the fight would be about. If you see a Reaver kill a Scythe, thats obvious. If you see one squad wiping out another, thats also obvious.
it doesn't play like that, there was so much going on in outfit wars.

You had no idea who was gonna win in our match against PcP.

We controlled their base, they had ours, they had less time on hacking our base so we sent back a splinter force and secured it, we missed an AMS outside their base though and they re spawned and took their base back, we gened them and tookout their ams they then had another ams at our base and began swarming it, we blewup their last AMS and that was the fight over...a rather un climatic end to an amazing fight that could have gone either way.

all while this is going on theres small skirmishes, they're sending infils to our gen, our max is killing them, there's dogfights and shit happening.

its just to hard to follow without and proper support from SOE and the game been more designed around it properly, you can sure play it and it would be competitive, but its not good to watch.

SKYeXile TRF - GM
FUTURE CREW - HIGH COUNCIL
Old 2012-05-30, 09:06 PM   [Ignore Me] #38
Rumblepit
Second Lieutenant

bahhh i give up, you people lack vision .... lol you should look into els games, play some, do a bit of research, and post something constructive. sand box features will come after launch, with that will come outfit bases and outfit wars. then you can speculate how it will work . the issue wont be weather it will or wont work.

i feel like im arguing with my ex lol. cant win
Old 2012-05-30, 09:14 PM   [Ignore Me] #39
Kaw
Corporal

Originally Posted by Rumblepit View Post
bahhh i give up, you people lack vision .... lol you should look into els games, play some, do a bit of research, and post something constructive. sand box features will come after launch, with that will come outfit bases and outfit wars. then you can speculate how it will work . the issue wont be weather it will or wont work.

i feel like im arguing with my ex lol. cant win
I'm just trying to be realistic lol. I'm probably as big of an esports guy as yall are, but if you are looking for a tournament viable game, I don't think PS2 will ever be the right choice. For the foreseeable future, people looking for epic battles in a tournament setting will have to stick to Starcraft.
Old 2012-05-30, 09:21 PM   [Ignore Me] #40
Xaine
Major

Originally Posted by SKYeXile View Post
it doesn't play like that, there was so much going on in outfit wars.

You had no idea who was gonna win in our match against PcP.

We controlled their base, they had ours, they had less time on hacking our base so we sent back a splinter force and secured it, we missed an AMS outside their base though and they re spawned and took their base back, we gened them and tookout their ams they then had another ams at our base and began swarming it, we blewup their last AMS and that was the fight over...a rather un climatic end to an amazing fight that could have gone either way.

all while this is going on theres small skirmishes, they're sending infils to our gen, our max is killing them, there's dogfights and shit happening.

its just to hard to follow without and proper support from SOE and the game been more designed around it properly, you can sure play it and it would be competitive, but its not good to watch.
Fine, but pretty much every Esport is shout casted so you know whats going on and if you can switch cameras between players in the field, then you can get a multi-angle perspective.

I really don't see this being a problem. I followed what you just said, and alright i've played PS1 so i know what an AMS is, but thats really the only thing that would confuse people. I never watch Starcraft streams because i don't know whats going on. That is alot harder to follow than PS2 would be. Much harder.
Old 2012-05-30, 09:22 PM   [Ignore Me] #41
Xaine
Major

Originally Posted by rTekku View Post
One thing the OP doesn't seem to understand is that E-sports can directly affect the main game, especially when it comes to in game balance.
Explain to me how this is a problem. Why does anything have to change from the main game, to the Esport version of Planetside 2.

Go.
Old 2012-05-30, 09:25 PM   [Ignore Me] #42
Jimmuc
Corporal

USA vs Germany vs China!!! each country chooses 666 people to compete with..be like the Olympics lol
Old 2012-05-30, 09:30 PM   [Ignore Me] #43
Xaine
Major

Originally Posted by Malorn View Post
Actually its more about realistic fears that it will have the following result

1) fracture the player base into those that play PlanetSide 2 the Esport and PlanetSide 2 the MMO. That could drive populations lower or cause developer priorities to shift.

2) fracture the dev team investments into splitting time between PlanetSide 2 the MMO and PlanetSide 2 the ESport. Time spent on one is time not spent on the other. It will mean delayed features and less improvement in the game mode I really care about.

3) have design decisions for one game mode affecting the other, like changing the way rockets work because in the ESport mode they are problematic when in the MMO mode they are just fine. WoW has had this problem for years where PvE changes impact PvP and vice versa.

It fractures the dev priorities, impacts development, and can ultimately negatively impact PlanetSide 2 the MMO. When developers try to over-reach the game and make it more than it should be they end up half-assing both and ruining the game. Stick to what the game is good for. It doesn't have to do everything. There are things it shouldn't do, and make the great game that it should be.
Sorry for the triple post, firstly.

1). When the Esport is only available once every few weeks, how is that going to happen. People will come on and play on the Outfit War day, and then log off for a month?

No. Not at all. People who play the Esport will play the game. I'm not sure how you can deny that. People who play the main game, might not play the Esport. Thats not required at all. Do not see a problem here.

2). This i agree with, but again, how much would you really need to do? A few maps for it, of already existing bases in the game world. A spawn point for each team. Its not going to need its own dedicated team for it.

3) Possibly. But i doubt it. Why would anything need to change. I don't understand. The Esport would be like a Planetside battle, but with a few less people around a base. Thats it. Bam. Why would you need to change anything?

Also, WoW is a terrible example. WoW had to balance PvE and PvP. Thats why it failed. Two completely different things.

In Planetside 2, it will all be pvp. People shooting at each other with the same weapons, the same tanks. Everything would be the same, but it would be on a smaller scale than the normal game.

Also, the balance issues might be evened out because the teams are bigger - and each Outfit could select which Empire they play if one has a better HA weapon or something. If the jackhammer is way over powered, then both teams play NC.

Same maps as the game, same base, same weapons, same vehicles, same capture mechanics.

Really, don't see a problem.

Last edited by Xaine; 2012-05-30 at 09:32 PM.
Old 2012-05-30, 09:33 PM   [Ignore Me] #44
Kaw
Corporal

Explain to me how this is a problem. Why does anything have to change from the main game, to the Esport version of Planetside 2.

Go.
Just a random example, but it may be the case that in a 666v666v666 setting, aircraft get completely demolished by the massive amounts of anti-air. At the same time, in the 50v50 "esports" mode, there is less stuff shooting up and aircraft is completely overpowered. In a situation like this, half of the community would hate SOE for not buffing aircraft, and half of the community would hate SOE if they changed aircraft.

This is just a random situation that may or may not be the case, but situations like this were one of the biggest problems with arenas in WoW.

Edit: This wouldn't be nearly as big a problem if the game mode is only temporarily available, like you suggested. If that was how it worked, it wouldn't really be an esport but just a random special event.

Last edited by Kaw; 2012-05-30 at 09:36 PM.
Old 2012-05-30, 09:48 PM   [Ignore Me] #45
Xaine
Major

Alright, i could see that.

But its not like you are locked into a role. If their AA is annihilating you, then swap to something that counters it. You can switch classes on the fly. Again, not really seeing an issue. It might play different than the normal game mode, infact i'm sure it will - but that doesn't mean there will be a problem.

When you can switch roles on the fly, you can counter anything.

And ok, maybe E-sport was the wrong word. Ranked Outfit play maybe?
  PlanetSide Universe > PlanetSide Discussions > PlanetSide 2 Discussion